Author Topic: Problem with older dog.  (Read 1384 times)

Offline pam1

• Donator
Problem with older dog.
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »
Hope you can help, as we are really worried.  Maddie our 14week golden cocker is a lovely playful puppy and we have a 10year old Westie bitch, Misty.They have got on fine for the last 6 weeks since we have had Maddie, apart from the odd insignificant spat. However, today Misty has gone for Maddie three times for no particular reason. She had poor old Maddie by the back of her neck and just kept biting at her (though there are no marks).
Can any body help as to why this has just started happening. Poor Maddie was running round the garden squealing really upset so we put Misty in the house and  have kept them separate since.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
Re: Problem with older dog.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:40:18 PM »
Perhaps the playful pup is slightly too much for Misty to cope with, at 10 she possibly cant cope with the attention from Maddie. Hopefully someone with more ideas will come along soon and I'm sure all will be ok  :blink:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 01:09:50 AM »
There was some reason Misty went for the puppy, it just wasn't apparent to you  :-\ You'll have to become a bit of a detective and watch them to see what is going on.

There are so many reason it could have happened, perhaps Maddie crossed a line she's never crossed before, as puppies get older and more confident they sometimes become a little more cheeky toward the older dog. Perhaps Misty is asserting her dominance. Perhaps Misty isn't feeling good, it's just so hard to tell. Only you can find that out.

The repeated biting is very typical "westie style" in a scuffle. They are determined to get the last word in  ::). Since she left no marks she was giving Maddie an absolute warning about something. (If she meant to do damage she would have)

I would put them back together when you can supervise them, really watch them to see if you cn tell what Misty's hot buttons are. If a scuffle should break out do no scold either one, just calmly as you can, separate them and make sure both go into the house or into the crates or whatever your method is. That way neither will feel they are being unjustly punished and begin to be really resentful of the other dog.

Two books I would highly recommend are " Canine Body Language" by Brenda Aloff and "Fight" by Jean Donaldson.

I know it's upsetting for you but it is a somewhat normal part of the settling in period and not totally unexpected, particularly when a playful puppy meets a scrappy terrier. You'll just have to pay attention to them and learn Misty's signs when she's had enough.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
Buffy is just coming up for 6 months now and her relationship with our other 2 dogs is definitely changing.  Suki is very much top dog and Buffy knows that, but she does try it on occasionally.  Because of the huge difference in size, there is no contest, but Suki scruffs Buffy into submission without hesitation.  Josie on the other hand is still very puppylike, and plays non stop with Buffy - however, she is starting to put up with less cheekiness now.  Before Buffy could do literally anything to Josie from jumping on her and chewing her ears, to stealing toys and treats from her.  Now Josie won't put up with quite so much and she also puts Buffy in her place from time to time.

It is frightening, but they need to sort themselves out so they can live happily together.  So long as you keep an eye on them, and only intervene if you have to, it will all be ok.

Last year, our top dog was Meg our Yorkie (who died last September), and Suki was huge in comparison.  They had a real scrap once - we had to separate them by throwing water at them, and it ended with my husband lifting Suki up in the  air with Meg hanging off her throat (he knew Suki wouldn't bite him, but thought Meg would as she was so mad at  Suki  :005:), but that episode was totally my fault.  I had put some biscuits on the floor for both dogs, and Meg decided she wanted them all and didn't want to share with Suki.  They had a few more scraps before Meg sadly died in September, but most of the time they were tolerant of each other if not actually best friends.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »
We have two pups and most of the time the rough and tumble is ok however the tone changes when Whistler (usually) has had enough. I tend to grab them both pin them to the ground and wait until the wiggling stops. They both then decide its me with the problem and play nicely again. They are only 24 weeks and 16 weeks sop I need Whistler to keep his side up before Jake (the border) is too big and heavy. But by the sounds of it size dosen't matter! Thas why we got my cocker first befoere he got his border.
I am also having trouble with recall Whistler is fine but Jake has to be kept on a long lead as he will not come back to me at all.
Its all a learning curve.

Viv

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:35:18 AM »
Thanks for all your advice. i will take it all on board and keep an eye on them and keep you updaetd.
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:41:53 AM »
I'm having similar goings on at the moment with my youngest 2, Lola 6 months and Gracie 2 yrs. Gracie has been exceptionally tolerant of Lola but things are starting to change. Lola has always had a complete lack of respect for Gracie BUT Gracie has allowed her to get away with it so it's partially her own fault now Lola is a lot bigger and cockier she can't seem to handle her.
Since I've been on holiday Gracie has lost weight (she's slowly putting it back on ) and has started to become possessive of toys. The end result at the moment is that all toys have been confiscated as she was guarding them so Lola couldn't get any  ::)
As of yet it hasn't come to blows and they do play and even sleep in the same bed but Lola needs to learn that enough is enough as Gracie doesn't get a minutes peace  >:(
It's funny because in stark contrast both of them have the upmost respect for Buttons (their Mum). Lola wouldn't even DARE get under her skin  :005:

Offline mary w

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
I think Misty is asserting her aurthority in the house, and puppies do cry very loud.
Don't keep them seperated because misty may feel left out.
Love machine

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
I thought I would do a quick update about the problems we had with our older dog Misty and our pup, Maddy.  They seem to be best of friend again now. We took Misty to the vets and apparently she had a bad ear infection, which is probably why she was so touchy.  The vet also said she is probably just getting a bit grumpy in her old age! (I know the feeling)
I am posting a couple of photos to show how Maddie is growing up. She is four and a half months old now and is absolutely gorgeous.  Full of fun but also very loving and (generally) well behaved  :angel:  I do find this forum so helpful and read the posts every day for advice.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/pammills/IMGP0647.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/pammills/IMGP0630.jpg
Pam, Oliver and Bertie