Author Topic: Should I breed with a tricolour blue roan ?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Blacky

• Site Member
Should I breed with a tricolour blue roan ?
« on: January 06, 2008, 07:55:31 PM »
I have a blue roan bitch she is only 5 months at the moment ( I am not thinking of breeding until she is atleast 2yrs old). My father bought a tricolour blue roan dog and I was wondering if any one has bread the same types before  how did the pups come out apart from lovely ?

I'm ADDICTED to - it's great WOOOOOOOFFFFFF

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Should I breed with a tricolour blue roan ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:04:15 PM »
Are they genetically compatible; do their lines compliment each other and are they both doing well either at showing/working so can be held up as exceptional examples of the breed?  :huh:

There is quite a bit to do before you can even consider whether these two dogs are suitable for breeding; but it would be a highly unusual coincidence if you dad has bought a dog that is the most suitable stud for your bitch; it can be a very complicated process to find the right dog  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
I agree with cobweb. This article is worth reading ...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=3428.0

Are you asking what colours a mating with your Dad's dog would produce ? I'm no expert on such things but think it would depend on what colours the 2 dogs carry - something you'd find out when doing the detailed pedigree research necessary to see if they are compatible to be bred together. Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a 'blue roan tricolour' - I'm guessing maybe your Dad's cocker is a blue roan & tan.

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »
Battersey dogs home alone took in 270 unwanted dogs in the 10day xmas period, when you think of how many rescue centres there are in the country... Please don't breed from your bitch there are too many homeless dogs to begin with.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
Battersey dogs home alone took in 270 unwanted dogs in the 10day xmas period, when you think of how many rescue centres there are in the country... Please don't breed from your bitch there are too many homeless dogs to begin with.

I agree - unless the bitch is proven to be an exceptional example of the breed, with good health, temperament and conformity, and their owners are willing to commit to the financial burden, social inconvenience and emotional rollercoaster that comes along with breeding  ;)

Without the continued dedication of reputable breeders, the breeds we currently enjoy will die out  :o The genetic pool of so many popular breeds are being destroyed by indiscriminate breeding, and my hope is that committed enthusiasts do continue to breed in an ethical manner in order to ensure that future generations of people continue to enjoy the range of breeds of dog that we currently see every day  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
don't forget if you are going to breed to get both dogs health checks done, ending up with blind, deaf or crippled dogs is something everyone could do without.  The health tests can be expensive but there are a list of the ones that you will need to do at a basic level to breed either of your dogs.

I would also say that breeders are struggling to sell puppies at the moment, rescues as someone else has mentioned are swamped and unlike some of the larger breeders you have nothing beyond pet dogs unless you are thinking of working or showing them to help sell your puppies.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
Also you need to ask why you you want to breed --- if its because you've acute lovely dog and just want one litter to get another pup, then may be get another pup from the same breeder
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!