Author Topic: confused  (Read 4784 times)

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
Re: confused
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
Thanks   but this is just all way too confusing

I have his KC papers, but I have no idea how to tell if they are show or working?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
a quick giveaway (apart from posting his pedigree) is to see of there are any Sh Ch or Ft Ch in his pedigree.  Sh Ch indicates Show Champion (Show style cocker), and Ft Ch is for Field Champion (which are working dog trials)

You may have a mix too ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 11:40:25 AM »
hiya

on dads side there are SH CH  but neither on mum's side

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »
i think you should post his pedigree on a new thread  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »

ok now I have done what we are supposed to and added width=640  hope this works,   sooo sorry if it does not

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
Debs, it's probably best if you start a new thread on the Pedigree board. If you have a copy of your pup's pedigree, just post the first few generations on the Pedigree board and we'll be able to tell you what kind of pup you have and whether anyone has any relatives. From the photo, he looks to be show-type but you can't always tell from a photo.
Jane

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 11:08:56 PM »
Probably the greatest working cocker of all time was Field Trial Champion Speckle of Ardoon who won the Cocker Championship three times in the 1970s.

Speckle was out of an Elan (working pedigree) bitch,  by a Tireragh (show pedigree) sire, that went back to the famous Sixshot show kennel.

Because working cockers don't have to match a standard or blueprint in the breed it doesn't matter how big or small they are,  or whether they are "mismarked".  The only criterion is that they are biddable,  will hunt,  and will retrieve,  and that they are registered as cockers at the Kennel Club.  Some people think that there have been some sneaky springer spaniel genes clandestinely imported into the breed in the last twenty years.  This may have led to an increase in size in some working cockers,  but there are also small cockers working which look more like show cockers.  You pays your money ..........

John