Author Topic: Agility Footwear  (Read 5608 times)

Offline AnnaB

• Site Member
Re: Agility Footwear
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:38:32 AM »
I agree with Rosie re Cobwebs post.  I was quite annoyed when I saw her first post but for once managed to bite my tongue.

It may be dangerous for inexperienced handlers who are not aware of any dangers on a course, ie getting a good line onto the contact equipment, but the more experienced the handler the less likely there are to be any problems.

Rosie is a very experienced handler who has been competing for some years now and her dogs compete at Senior (Grade 6) and Intermediate (Grade 5).  She has won several awards for being top in the country so I hardly think she is inexperienced.  I  myself have three dogs competing at Senior level (Grade 6) as well as a youngster who will be coming out this year.  I have competed in all weather conditions for five years and have not had an injury to any of my dogs at a competition.  There are occasionally times that I feel that a course could be dangerous considering the weather conditions.  On one of these I spoke to the judge, as I knew her, and having consulted with others she changed the course.  With the others I purposely pushed my dog wide, losing time on the course by choosing their safety to come first.

I suspect, from your post, that you trainer is trying to dissuade you from going to the other classes as she would lose out on business that way or otherwise is just worried about her insurance.

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
I think you are very lucky if you manage to train inside all year! 
The clubs/trainers I know, even though fully insured, would get you to sign a disclaimer that you are taking part at your own risk, regardless of whether it's indoor or outdoor or both.

It's down to common sense really whatever the situation. If you believe you are putting yourself or your dog at risk then of course - don't do it.  Personally I have and will continue to train and compete in all weathers (within reason), if it's wet you should be aware of the risks and take more care as far as your dog is concerned.  At shows you find that judges often modify their courses to take this into account.  At the thoroughly soggy easter show already mentioned I ran Sophie in a veteran class, where the course was literally a straight line of jumps and a tunnel  :lol:

As for footwear outdoors, I found Dita's a bit heavy and flat, and I currently have a pair of Adidas running shoes (name of which escapes me for the moment) For indoors I just wear normal trainers.

I am relieved to hear Rosie already has all the agility shoes catered for, as I have to say I take quite a lot of coats and tops!

Edited to add:  I remembered the name of the Adidas shoes - Pro Campista TRX
They are on offer here:  http://www.agilitywarehouse.com/product_detail.cfm?id=1396

Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
Bilbo hates to run in the rain cos he's a wuss, but our trainer makes us train in the rain because you cannot guarantee the weather when you are competing so you must be prepared for everything, its a bit narrow minded of any trainer to only train in dry weather, and they are clearly not training to compete, which is a different kettle of fish entirely.
Bilbo has an ABC qualifier in April, 50/50 it will rain cos its Scotland, if he didnt run in the rain he would not compete?

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
I think you are very lucky if you manage to train inside all year! 
This is the only bit I disagree with you about  :005: as given the chance & choice we will train outside.  ;)  We are very lucky as one of the clubs we go to has the choice of fields & also an indoor arena (where trainers are quite adequate not to slip on the flooring) where we can train if the weather conditions are poor - like last Sunday when it was quite blustery.  This class is held for people wanting to compete this year.
Whereas the other club I attend will cancel classes if the weather is really bad as the majority of people in that class are simply there for fun, have no intention of competing & possibly dont have the experience & TBH I dont think I could call it fun running in the rain :005:

It is not recommended to run an agility course on wet/slippy ground - as you have discovered, handlers can slip - but so can dogs, and can be badly injured  :-\

I know a lot of classes are held outside in all weathers - but it isn't considered to be responsible by experienced trainers/handlers  :-\
I have slipped on damp grass, after a spring shower, when I ran Molo in a "fun" class, so I know how easy it is to do  :-\

I guess you learnt by your irresponsible mistake then  :-\ & unlike the rest of us wont be needing any footwear with grip

ETA:
Getting back to the topic:  Before posting this thread I did go into a large local sports shop & ask if they had any hockey shoes & the young assistant looked at me as though I'd landed from another planet & just said "err ladies shoes are over there"  :005:
At least now I have an idea of what I'm looking for I should be able to find something & maybe I'll be able to run that bit faster  :lol:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »
A lot of people swear by Chris Walsh fell running shoes also (can't afford a pair at moment)

Also if you look on agilitynet warehouse - Dobbies do some innov8 footwear - I like these!!

But internet is very good although best to find shop to do some trying on as sizes do vary!

Oh and thank you AnnaB for your lovely comments - am not that good honest just have a couple of fantastic little dogs.

And good luck with running Max X 2 (not sure of your real name!) I think I need more than shoes to help me - perhaps a nice pair of long  legs!!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 02:40:21 PM »
I suspect, from your post, that you trainer is trying to dissuade you from going to the other classes as she would lose out on business that way

Now it's my turn to be offended on behalf of the trainer concerned - there ARE no outdoor classes in the county, both the local Canine Training club and the private classes I go to are run indoors.  As has been implied by other posts, they are "fun" classes - with no more than a handful of members competing regularly - and it is these inexeprienced members who are advised not to run on wet ground.

Obviously, experienced handlers may be able to guage risk - but I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that as the OP was asking for advice, then they were not actively competing at present, and so may not have been advised of the risks. 

The popularity of agility has led to a lot of amateur classes being set up; we have heard of classes being held on solid village-hall floors, using equipment cobbled together in a home workshop! Of course, not all classes are like this; but many are, hence the caution in my posts!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline AnnaB

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 03:02:06 PM »
You do state in a previous post that there are a few local classes that are run in the wet, so I am confused why you are now saying that in not the case.  Also you stated

"I am amazed how many people are prepared to run their dogs on wet ground; I have seen dogs injured on a dry course, so maybe I'm just more aware of the risks  :-\ "

From this post you seemed to suggest that you were experienced yourself stating that you were more aware of the risks.  It also implied that those people who chose to run their dogs on wet ground were being irresponsible to do so and not caring about their dogs so I'm sure you can understand why some people may have been upset