Author Topic: mentalness when getting ready for a walk....help!!!  (Read 2100 times)

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
Re: mentalness when getting ready for a walk....help!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »
lol, this gave me a laugh too! Mine arent too bad. Lily is the only one who will make noise and get silly. The other two are always excited but manageable!

Another idea is to desensitise them to the things that they associate with a walk, ie putting jacket on, leads, car keys. Move keys about the place and just randomly put your jacket on then take it off again and pick up leads every now and then but not actually go for a walk....

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »

Another idea is to desensitise them to the things that they associate with a walk, ie putting jacket on, leads, car keys. Move keys about the place and just randomly put your jacket on then take it off again and pick up leads every now and then but not actually go for a walk....

Ah, that's a good idea, Jo.....I'm going to try that.  ;)
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
Trev used to be a nightmare spinning and zooming up and down the stairs etc but the only time I have trouble with my current two is when the other humans I'm going for a walk with are all manic and exited  ::)

I tend to be very calm and move deliberately quietly and casually and for some reason they'd rather watch me doing that than go nuts! I suspect it might be also because my Weim isn't an excitable dog in the home so it's rubbed off on Dave... so there is your answer! Re-home a Weimaraner and your two will copy and you wont have any more trouble... in the home. Although walks become a bit more of a challenge  :005:

Actually, in all seriousness Dave did start getting a bit silly so for a while I started leaving him in 'Dave's Space' (the kitchen behind a baby gate) and then got him last and stood there not saying anything or looking at him until he was quiet and all four paws were on the ground then I'd put his lead on and walk him quietly to the front door - that did the trick there... for now anyway!

Good luck!

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:46:03 AM »
Its a loony bin here when I take all mine out  :lol2: Otter has even knocked me off my feet  :005: I just open the door and let them go and its a hoolie for 5 mins and calm is restored  :005: I dont have any order with my lot and tbh I cant be bothered getting them all to calm down when letting them out does the trick, id only give myself a headache  :005: