Author Topic: KC registration and insurance  (Read 2144 times)

Offline turbobert

KC registration and insurance
« on: August 14, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »
Can someone tell me what the position is here.  I am collecting a pup in 4 weeks and the breeder tells me that it will be for me to register with the KC and that the insurance will not come into effect until I have done that.  I am puzzled at this as when I bred a litter about 20 years ago I had to register the litter then the new owner registered the pup afterwards with their choice of name.

Also I thought the insurance came into effect on delivery - if it doesnt then there will be a risk period pending registration surely.

The breeder is a Novice and I dont want to fall out with her though

Offline bailey33

Re: KC registration and insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:16:03 PM »
Hi this was our first time with a new pup and we were told by the breeder to register with the KC but we had a few weeks free insurance so we were covered.  We sorted out the insurance the day we brought him home with all our pups details and this started automatically after our 6 weeks free had run out.  Hope this helps.  It also worked out best for us to pay the whole years insurance in one go because we got two months free.
Hope this helps?!
xxx
Clare, James and Bailey xxx

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:18:14 PM »
she should register the pup then you when you get the kc registration form from her with your pups details . you then add your details as new owner and send it back to the KC this activates your 6 week insurance and puts the pup into your name. this is when you can add your affix if you have one and order a pedigree.
 this is the form she should fill in to register the litter
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/375/form1.pdf
 she then will be sent a registration certificate for each pup which she should give to the owner when they pick up the pup along with a puppy pack feeding advice etc..

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
When we got Betty we rang up to activate the free 6 weeks insurance within a couple of days. We didn't send off the form to transfer the ownership to us for a few months.
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »
I think your breeder is confusing insurance with registration maybe? Your puppy's KC registration certificate should be available when you collect your pup (if not, you need to ask why) and you'll also be given a cover note for the 6 weeks free insurance which you have to activate (if using the KC insurance) or which the breeder can activate on the day you collect your pup (if using Petplan, as many breeders do).

ETA that you can now activate the KC 6 weeks insurance online as long as you have the KC reg no & registered name
Jane

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
you can also get the free insurance from Petplan yourself without the need for your breeder to be involved at all just phone them and ask for it.  If not I have a spare pack you'd be welcome to.

Offline *AmandaB*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
the 6 weeks free insurance is valid from the date of the chitty being signed by the breeder. As a breeder you only get these insurance chitty's once you have registered the puppies. Think it must be the change of ownership form that you get not the KC actual litter registration. It is a certificate of ownership (bit like a car log book!) that you should get, if it is not there the litter is not registered and do not collect the pup till it is.

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
Just going to say the same as the others really, when we went to see Roxy at 5 weeks old the litter were registered, when we picked her up to go home we had to chaneg the ownership into our names to activate the 6 weeks free insurance.  We did this online too as someone has mentioned.

Our vets also offered us 6 weeks free insurance with pet plan when we had our vacs done.  Maybe your breeder is confused?  I would double check that the puppies are actually KC registered if thats what your expecting just in case. 

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:12:04 PM »
So the breeder registers the litter with the KC, then when we pick the pup up, we are given the forms which enable us to then register the pup as ours whether it be the same day or a week later? Is that right? So when does the 6 weeks free start? I thought it started from the day the pups leave for their new homes? 

Edit to add

Iv been on the KC website and to get the 6 weeks insurance you have to register the pup in your name, so it would be wise to do that asap - online will be nice and quick! Obviously there is the period of leaving the breeders and getting home to do the registration on line.

How much is it to change ownership?

REUBY DOOO!

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »
As far as I understand going on our experience the breeder registers the litter when they are born and gets sent the paper work, a form with each puppies details on and their name also a pedigree tree if they have asked for one.

When we collected Roxy we were allowed to choose which name we wanted (there were 2 girls) and got the appropriate papers.  You then fill in your details on the form and send it off and the puppy ownership goes into your name, this also activates the free insurance.  You can also ring up or fill in the details online.  So yes you could do it the day you take the puppy home or a week later. The KC insurance isn't activated til you ring up and give them your details. (I think, this maybe different for a different insurance company)

The KC then send you a new set of papers showing the breeders details and the fact that ownership is now in your name and address.  if your breeder didn't give you a copy of the pedigree tree you can order one when you send your stuff off.

I think this is right but hopefully a breeder or other experienced person will correct me if wrong!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 03:30:41 PM »
So when does the 6 weeks free start? I thought it started from the day the pups leave for their new homes? 

If you're talking about the KC cover, it starts as soon as you activate it so if you do this as soon as you bring your pup home, he'll be covered for 6 weeks from then. It's much easier now you can activate the insurance & transfer ownership online instead of having to wait until you send off the KC form (as used to be the case)

http://www.kennelclub-petinsurance.co.uk/main.asp?page=3

I still prefer using Petplan though for our puppies as it means I can activate the insurance myself before the pup is collected and know it's been done. With all the excitement of bringing home a new pup, I always think it's easy for new owners to forget about things like insurance (at least to begin with)

Jane

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
To be honest i dont know where the free insurance is coming from,  all i know is that the pup is coming with some, now whether i have to activate it or the breeder does is something i will have to ask about, but one thing is for sure, i will be keen on to activate it asap!

REUBY DOOO!