Cocker Specific Discussion > Health

What do you feed your cocker?

(1/6) > >>

Barry Sharpe:
Hi everyone,

We started George on pedigree complete but was told this was not good for him. So we switched to james wellbeloved on the advice of vets and friends. However every now and again about once a week we provide George with Cooked rice and gravy as well as a handfull of his dry food ( just to make things interesting for him). We notice that he does not gulp his dry food but actually sits down and eats his food slowly. However give him rice and the food is gone is a few secounds. As dogs are geared up to gulp thier food is it healthier for him to eat slowly? It also now matter how much i turn it over in my mind seems an awful lazy way to go about his feeding him. just a couple of handfulls of dry food 3 times a day and that is it. But i alwys get that niggling feeling that he must be bored with the same food day after day.  I guess you could say that the rice helps my conceince more than anything else. What do you use and why? Are you happy with it? Does your cocker gulo his dry food or does he eat it slowly?                    

FionaM:
Poppy gets Eukanuba twice a day with a small amount of Chappie tinned food mixed in with it. She just flings the dry food round the room unless there's something a bit tastier in with it!                    

Jane S:
I feed our Cockers on Nutro (another of the premium dry completes) mixed with a little raw tripe & they all do very well on it. Whether dogs gulp their food down depends a lot on whether they are greedy eaters or not - some of ours gulp their food down like canine vacuum cleaners but a couple of the less greedy ones, eat slowly & carefully. The greedy ones couldn't care less whether they get the same food day in or day out - if it's in their bowl, it gets eaten  ;D
With the ones that are not so greedy, I might ring the changes a little - add chicken or minced beef instead of tripe (though the base food stays the same) I don't believe in chopping & changing diets just for the sake of it - if the dogs eat it & it suits them, then why change? Sure, complete foods are more convenient for us but that doesn't make them bad (though I would avoid the cheaper ones that have goodness knows what kind of animal parts in them, not to mention E colourings & other additives!)                    

*Jay*:
I feed Vegas pedigree complete puppy as this was what he was weaned on. Brook is fed on James Wellbeloved senior/light. I put him on this in the hope that it may help with his aggression and he really enjoys it. I was planning on switching Vegas to the James Wellbeloved too but he loves what he's getting just now - you would think it was going to be his last meal on earth! And to think Brookie's breeder told us cockers were very fussy eaters! :D                    

joanne:
Jenna eats Burgess Supa Dog for puppies.  She seems perfectly ok on it although I wonder if she is getting a bit bored of it.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version