Author Topic: Clicker Obedience  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Clicker Obedience
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »

We are going to a Clicker Obedience class on Monday (and every other Monday after that).
 :D

Not really sure what to expect - apparently there will be a full range of dogs there, from new starters to experienced dogs... It was really the fact that it was using the clicker that attracted me, as Honey responds really well to the clicker - and we were looking at doing some form of formal training too, just to give us the motivation and help improve Honey's confidence.

Am looking forward to it, but a bit nervous at the same time (what if Honey shows us up  ph34r ).  I think the thing that worries me the most it that she still doesn't reliably walk on a loose lead - she seems to know what it expected, but gets distracted too easily (too many good smells for a spaniel nose!!!). 
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Clicker Obedience
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »
Ooooh enjoy it :D let us know how you get on.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
I would love to start clicker training so would be interested to hear how you get on! I'm going to look for some classes but i don't think there are any in my area! We have started to try ourselves but its hard!!!! I don't think you'll be shown up (much!) all the other owners will be so busy concentrating on their own dogs they won't notice!!!!

L&O x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »
I loved clicker classes - they really did inspire me to progress with Molo and helped give me the confidence to take on Bonnee  ;)

Don't wory about being "shown up" - even if she is overwhelmed, remember that a training class environment is considered to be very high distraction, and so it is not a surprise that dogs don't "learn" there; the important thing is that you do learn how to apply the techniques so he does begin to respond in high distraction environments  ;)

Clicker training helped me master loose lead walking - so I'm sure you'll get there  ;)  Have Fun!!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

We are going to a Clicker Obedience class on Monday (and every other Monday after that).
 :D

Not really sure what to expect - apparently there will be a full range of dogs there, from new starters to experienced dogs... It was really the fact that it was using the clicker that attracted me, as Honey responds really well to the clicker - and we were looking at doing some form of formal training too, just to give us the motivation and help improve Honey's confidence.

Am looking forward to it, but a bit nervous at the same time (what if Honey shows us up  ph34r ).  I think the thing that worries me the most it that she still doesn't reliably walk on a loose lead - she seems to know what it expected, but gets distracted too easily (too many good smells for a spaniel nose!!!). 

Don't worry about it, just relax and enjoy, If honey is distracted then keep your exercises short or work away from the other dogs, in the lobby or outside if needs be.
If she is distracted then forget the obedience and just click calm behaviour.
Do not let the instructors rush or push you if Honey ain't getting something.
hope you have fun!
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:11:36 PM »
What Mark said - especially this bit  ;)

If she is distracted then forget the obedience and just click calm behaviour.
Do not let the instructors rush or push you if Honey ain't getting something.
hope you have fun!
Mark

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

Thanks guys!!

Am looking forward to it, and even if we never get to any kind of competing standard, if we can master some basic heelwork and attention to me (typical spaniel, she's always got her nose to the ground) it's got to be a good thing.

To be honest I signed myself up just seeing the word "clicker" and not registering that Obedience was a particular event (rather than general "good behaviour").  Honey responds so well to the clicker, and we were looking to do some kind of formal training to help us tire her out over the winter months.  But I do think it will do us good, and give us a good grounding for any future training...  :D 

I'm sure the instructors will be patient with us - I have made it clear we're beginners, and they didn't seem concerned.... every other session is actually a group "help each other" session, so it's all about learning together, whatever standard everyone is at...  :D

Won't stop me panicking on Monday evening though!!  ph34r  :005:  I know I need to not expect too much from Honey, especially at first, as it will all be very very exciting... so we'll just sit back and take it all in!  :D

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

Well, we just got back from our first ever Obedience Training....

And Honey was brilliant - there had been so much interest in the class that they split the group into beginners (first half) and continuers (second half) - so everyone we were training with was also just starting out.
It's the first time she's had to be calm and focussed in a room "full" of other dogs and she gave some very good settles during the introductions etc.
We did some work on targetting (we used our stick, while everyone else stuck with a hand - easier on my back!) and then her shoulder to my leg targetting, as prep for heelwork. 
We then did some dummy touches for the beginning of retrieve and finished up with some groundwork for sit-stay....

So a very busy evening, she is now crashed out on the sofa....  :luv:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
Sounds like you had a good night  :D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:55:14 AM »
Here's one for you, stick some gaffer tape to your leg and get your dog to target that, then decrease the size of the tape gradually so the dog ends up targetting your leg. ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
sounds great Karma - where are the classes?  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »

The classes are in Southampton - run through the training school we did our puppy classes through (Scallywags).
Need to get us a retrieval dumb-bell now....  :005: