Author Topic: How do you get your dogs to stand?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
How do you get your dogs to stand?
« on: July 16, 2004, 12:45:49 AM »
How do you get your dogs to stand , ive tried the ironing board thing it dident work . I have about 2 mins of her standing then she plonks her bum down  :roll: I would like to do her back feet properly but dont often get the chance . anyone got any ideas to make my girly stand up for me :)                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 01:46:20 AM »
I simply stack them daily from very early age. I also teach them the command "stand".
If they wriggle, pull their feet etc, I say "no" and put the feet back where they are supposed to be. Once the dog is standing properly I praise them and let them go :).
When my dogs wriggle on the grooming table, they get told, BIG TIME. When they are puppies, I put them on the table every day, and "groom" them (mostly just pretend to do so).  They have all learned sooner or later (some need more "telling" than others ;) )..
When grooming other peoples dogs that are not that good at standing, and pull their feet all the time, i simply lift the other back/front foot up (the one i am not doing at the moment). It stops the pulling all together, as it's very hard to pull feet without losing balance, when one foot is in the air  :lol: ..                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:41:23 PM »
thanks katina ill give that a go and get back to you on how it goes ;)                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 11:56:18 PM »
Today i went and bought some thinning scissors and decided to go mental on bella . your advice was great picking the leg up helps alot  after 4 hours of grooming she finaly looks like a proper show dog . before i got a good result without them but today i now understand there a major tool for grooming :D
I got my laptop next to me with the leg pics you mods posted :) and i got it exact so im pretty happy about that . one part i did get stuck on was the back leg /foot  . I think i got it pretty close but if anyone ever fancys taking some pics and showing us like the other posts it would be really helpful :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:10:49 AM »
LL - a grooming session of four hours is a bit heavy for a dog :( . I'd cut it down and just do it more often - spread it over a few days. They get tired and bored - especially while they're learning to be good :) .                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »
haha it wasent  4 hours I was joking i dont think she would sit still for a hour never mind 4  :o but it did feel like it though  :lol: plus i was too busy watching big brother  :wink: I  only had the legs to sort out i did the head and the rest last week but what a difference those thinning scissors made , i think i need some better quality ones these ones stick a little