Author Topic: Deleting Temporary Files  (Read 1853 times)

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Deleting Temporary Files
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
PC Illiterate here  ph34r

I'm looking to delete temporary files as my pc has been slowing down lately. I have located and delete regularly Temp Internet Files, but are there temporary files somewhere else that I should be regularly deleting? If so, does anyone have any idea where I find them? I am sure I found some once, but can't remember where  ph34r :005:

Is there anything else that I should regularly be doing (apart from backing up files and saving photos/vids to disc as they use a lot of space)

I have IE7, a good security system and am sure I have no viruses etc. I also know how to defragment and do that too. Plenty of disc space still.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Re: Deleting Temporary Files
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 09:07:27 PM »
I run AVG daily, clear temp interent files and cookies every time I log off, oh and i clear history too.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
I run AVG daily, clear temp interent files and cookies every time I log off, oh and i clear history too.
I do all that too. Except that I have Norton, but have had that ever since I have been online, so it's not that slowing it down. I thought there were also temporary files that were not Internet related.

Forgot to say that I have Windows XP Home Ed.
happydog

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
If you go to tools..Then down to internet options you can delete them your self..Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
Download CleanUp here, it's free. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

Use it regularly and it will get rid of all the rubbish that's accumulated on your PC and slowing it down.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 05:45:50 PM »
If you go to tools..Then down to internet options you can delete them your self..Chris
Thanks, but I already do that  ;)
I have located and delete regularly Temp Internet Files, but are there temporary files somewhere else that I should be regularly deleting?

Download CleanUp here, it's free. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69
Use it regularly and it will get rid of all the rubbish that's accumulated on your PC and slowing it down.
Hmm. Thanks, but I'm not keen on downloading programmes like that, where I have no control over what it decides to leave or delete  :-\.
I just just need to know where other temporary files are likely to be and I can delete them manually.
happydog

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »

Do this but beware if you delete all you'll delete cookies so you'll need to know your passwords to log back in to things
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 06:06:55 PM »
You can decide what you want removing.  There is an options choice for you to set.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »
I have located and delete regularly Temp Internet Files, but are there temporary files somewhere else that I should be regularly deleting?

If you use XP, go to Control Panel, then Performance & Maintenance, then Free Up Space on Your Hard Disk to get rid of unnecessary stuff incl temp files.
Jane

Offline happydog

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »
Thanks Jane  :D  .Found them!
happydog

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:10:10 PM »
Hi HappyDog,
There is an easy way to take control of all temp files and this will make them appear in one place only.

1. Go to my computer then click on 'Local Disk (C:)' Then once you are in there right click on a blank place then left click new folder call this folder 'Temp'.

2. Now go to you're desktop and right click my computer click properties. Go to the advanced tab across the top. Then near the bottom there should be a button called 'Environment Variables' Click that.

3. With the new window. There should be two little list's/charts. On the first one there should be 2 things one with the variable name 'TMP' and the other with the name 'TEMP' click one once and then edit. Now were it says Variable Value Type in or copy and paste 'C:\Temp' Do the same with the other one in the 1st list.

4. Now on the 2nd list Scroll down to the bottom until you see tmp and temp Now do 3 again.

Now all of you're temporary Internet cache files and tmp files from installs will be listed in the folder TEMP the one that we made in '1'. So now every thing in that folder is safe to delete.

Hope this helps you all :-).

--
Jamie Kalu's son.

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline seaangler

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
There is also temporary files that are held in history that can also slow your computer down as people do not seem to know ware they are to beleted...Thease ones are in M.S.N if you do any chating in chat rooms ect...If you do let me know and il tell you how to get rid of them..Chris...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy