Author Topic: Petplan insurance - Covered for life budget or supreme plan?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Mrs JT

Petplan insurance - Covered for life budget or supreme plan?
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:22 AM »
We are about to reach the end of our initial complimentary insurance period with our pup, and we now have to decide which insurer we will go with.  We have decided that it will be PetPlan, however we are undecided whether it should be the Covered for Life budget or supreme cover.   There is about £5 difference in our quote per month.  Could anyone advise please?

Offline PennyB

Re: Petplan insurance - Covered for life budget or supreme plan?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
I have the covered for life budget one and it has been fine for my lot (and I've claimed a fair bit from them as well)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:50:40 AM »
I have the covered for life budget one and it has been fine for my lot (and I've claimed a fair bit from them as well)

Me too!

Offline BabyB

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »

Me too!
me three :D
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Teresa

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
My 3 dogs (collie cross, border collie and w. cocker) are with Petplan on the covered for life budget plan.

My border collie, Frost, has just today been referred for an MRI scan which is going to cost £1200-£1800. The budget cover only covers £4000 a year so if he needs an op i dont know how i will afford it before his year re-starts in Oct! So part of me wonders if next time i should go with the higher cover just in case!?
A dog without a job will become self employed!!

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »
Can I ask why you would use PetPlan? They are only recommended by the breeders/vets etc because they get up to 15% commission from them for the recommendation.

I found Greenbee (from John Lewis) were 50% cheaper and had equal cover. Its worth shopping around.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Mrs JT

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Ahhhhh.....didn't realise that the breeders got a cut for the recommendation.  Certainly, it was the breeder who recommended PetPlan, said she had tried many others but they are 'definately the best'.     

Stuffster, can I ask, if you are with Greenbee, how have they been to deal with?  does anyone else have any comment about them?

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »
Just went for a quote from Greenbee and half the price of petplan .....this needs further looking into .....

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »
I havent actually had to make a claim yet, but when I have rung up to ask questions about the cover etc they have been really helpful and knowledgable.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:04:17 PM »
Pet plan quoted over £30 + for the top cover and £24 + for the next plan down per month  .....Greenbee £14.35 a month 

Offline seaangler

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
Greenbee..Sounded to good to be true so i thought i would ask for a quote for my two it came out at £33 P/M....(£21 for the golden retriever and £11 for the Cocker...But greenbee insurance are part of  sun life AXA..But i am going ahead with them as they will still take my oldess dog on at eight years old un like More than as said for our Cindy when she gets to nine....Unless you know diferent....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Mrs JT

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
I wondered if the Greenbee plan was a 'whole life cover' like the PetPlan one - anyone I've spoken to say that I should really go for 'whole life' cover

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
I wondered if the Greenbee plan was a 'whole life cover' like the PetPlan one - anyone I've spoken to say that I should really go for 'whole life' cover

I phoned Greebee and it is lifetime cover ie if you spend the entire £7000 in one year on one illness, you can claim £7,000 the following year for the same illness - if that makes sense!

They did say the excess was £75-£100, also price depended on postcode area and obviously it would be dearer for my 9 year old.

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline LOOBIE

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »
If your free insurance was with kennel club then i would get back in touch with them for a quote i did and they undercut pet plan i went for top level of cover and was sooo glad'cos my little boy had an op at 6mths which cost £2500.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
lisan1968 ..Thats how i read it to....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy