Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 1283 times)

Offline loulabell

• i didn't do it ;@)
Insurance question
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

I have been with my insurance for 4 years now, never made a claim. Infact had charlie 10 years,
  he has been insured every year of his life.
  last October charlie started suffering with his eyes, they said it was suspected dry eyes.
  well every month we have been back and forward to the vets checking on his eyes.
  His tear levels have been on boarder line of 11 and 12.
  So like you do you put in a claims form in.......

They are now saying that because charlie went to the vets back in Aug 2004 with conjunctvis
  that this is a eye condition and they are not going to pay out. Then a year latter with  the same problem.

The thing that has got me so mad is that today we went to the vets and the put charlie on the optimmune,
  because they have gone below the levels.
  I just think why do we bother with the insurance, in the back of my mind i think it was for the best to have it....
  but when you need them to pay out they don't.

Just makes me mad!!!!!

Do you think i should fight this???? or have the got a case.

With love Lou Charlie boy and lucy lou

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
Surely they would have requested his medical history at the time of taking the policy out? I think I'd be inclined to ask the vet if they could write a letter on your behalf - I think thats a tad harsh tbh.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »
They are all robbing wotsits if you ask me >:D I wouldn't have it except that I think the 3rd party stuff is important.
I think it will depend on the wording of your particular policy as they are all a bit different. I know when my Staffie had to have an operation on her leg that leg wasn't then covered for 4 years and the other one wasn't covered for 2 years so there was hardly any point in having it. >:(

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »
mmmm tricky one. 

If he was treated for an "eye condition" BEFORE you took out the current policy then they are likely to class it as a pre existing condition

Really you should ask your vet whether conjuctivitus and dry eye are directly linked / same condition  - if he believes not (which is debateable) then he should write a letter of support to state that in his professional opinion the two conditions are unrelated. 

I'm sorry to say though that I think it is going to be a very fine line.   It wont just be with the Insurer that you are with, it will be a market/blanket condition across the entire insurance industry.  sorry  :-\

I think that even if you were insured with the same company when he had the eye problem and renewed with them each year, you will still be in the same situation as you have a duty of disclosure at every renewal date - i.e. advise them of any changes/facts

Sorry to possibly be the bearer of bad news   :embarassed:

p.s. Hope Charlie is ok  :-*