Author Topic: when is a puppy no longer a puppy?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
when is a puppy no longer a puppy?
« on: August 02, 2004, 09:37:56 PM »
can anybody tell me what age does a puppy become a 'dog' ?

is it 12 months or 18 months ?

does any1 know?

Michelle                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 11:40:19 PM »
Michelle, this is a question that was raised just recently
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...opic.php?t=5208
Although 12 months is the official age, I think you'd be hard pushed to find any cocker that acts its age  :lol:                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 06:27:33 AM »
Remembering back, everyone used to say "he will settle down when hes two" And believe it or not at the age of two it was like we had a different dog :)

So it may be officially 12 months but I guess someone forgot to tell the cockers :)

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:26:27 AM »
My Holly has just started to slow down a bit now and she will be three in October. She has only just stopped shedding her bedding and chewing. She still spins round and round in circles when she sees her food bowl and doesn,t stop until i put it down for her, which is really funny to watch :)                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 01:24:44 PM »
Brogan is 12 months now.  He started acting more like an adult dog at just over 10 months old - 2 months down the line he is even more mature.  He does still have his mad half hours and does still have the odd moments - but he is entitled to these! I am a grown up and I still have them :wink:   The difference from when he was 7 months old is gobsmackingly amazing - and hard to believe he is the same dog.  Hopefully he won't settle down too much more - I like the spirit in him :D  His cloth ears can go though  :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 01:41:06 PM »
I would say 2 years old as they have to (why!!!) go through that Kevin stage after puppyhood!

At 14 months old, Wilf has just raided the pack of toilet rolls LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 07:35:35 PM »
I agree with you Penny :lol: .  Morgan was nearly two when we noticed that he was calming down a bit.  Now, he's just developed lots of irritating habits that he didn't have before - like going for a swim and thinking it's more fun for me to have to wade in and get him, than for him to come out of his own accord.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »
Jovi's scrabbled all the paint off the kitchen wall in a  10 x 10 cm size patch!!!  He's 6 months old!  Of course Neo my 2 year old could have had a paw in it too  :D

The thing is they're good for ages then they do something typically puppy, it's just to lull you into a false sense of security!  Neo always looks really guilty when we discover the latest antic, but I never tell them off unless I catch them at it, so it must be maturity.. He knows he shouldn't have done it but Jovi led him into it!

Love the picture Penny, what is it about tissue?  :lol:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 03:03:01 PM »
Indie is nine months now, and most of the time he's really chilled out. He's turned into the cuddliest puppy again, which is nice, and loves his runs in the park. I can't remember the bad bits now, but I remember thinking we had an aggression problem when he was a puppy, but he's stopped it completely and pretend growls when playing with my neighbours dog.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Shell

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 10:35:52 AM »
lol

YIPEE! Bailey turns two in a couple of weeks - I'll be watching him like a hawk for any extra "maturity" that develops - but I'm not holding my breath - he still acts like a puppy bouncing around most of the time!

OMG that mess of toilet rolls reminds me of how we found our couch when we got home from work the other day!! slightly less together than when we left! (its already been completely reupholstered once!) We still wub him tho :)  

I hope two is the magic age !!

Shell & Bailey[/img]