Author Topic: Daytime Sleeping/Naps  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:19:21 AM »
Hi

I knew it wouldn't be long before I had a daft question  :lol:

Molo had a burst of activity at 5:30 this morning, slept for an hour, had another burst of energy and is now alseep having been down for two hours, and shows no desire to re-enter family activities - he looks up if we attract his attention/clap/call his name etc and then settles back to sleep.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining  :oops: , but how do I know if this is 'normal' or if he is ill?  

His breeder did describe him a laid back; I'd give her a ring but shes showing today and tomorrow.

Any thoughts - I'd love to hear how other pups behaved at 10 1/2 weeks

Thanks

Rachel and Molo                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 10:23:13 AM »
Jazz was like this for the first few days, after we brought her home.

She may be missing her brothers and sisters, and get used to her new surroundings.

Also the weather wouldn't help at the moment, as its very stuffy and hot...

Give her an ice cube and see if she likes it, that way it will help to keep her cool as well.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:30:54 AM »
Thanks Kathy

Fortunately, the weather isn't too bad at the mo, theres quite a breeze here, but I will try an ice cube when he shows signs of life :shock:

Daft to worry so much, I know, you'd think I'd be grateful that he is settling so well  :lol:                    
Oldies Club

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:41:59 AM »
I was worried about everything when i brought Jazz home. I think she knew how to play me, and still does...

The other day i took a toliet roll off her and told her off, and she lay down and would not hardly move for ages.. then when she did ge up she wouldn't come to me, only shut her eyes and look away. she even sat with her back to me. !!!  I was convinced she was ill, so took her o the vet, who said there was nothing they could tell was wrong, and she was fine after that..  I was just 20£ short. Payback time.

But its always best to be safe rather than sorry.

I am sorry I referred to Molo as a she.. just keep an eye on him, I am sure all is well.                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 10:49:55 AM »
I wouldn't worry Rachel.Puppies can sleep for Britain. Make the most of it while it lasts :D                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline PennyB

Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »
In the perfect puppy book there's stuff about puppies sleeping and basically to let them get on with it and leave them to it, i.e. don't disturb them if they are sleeping.

Wilf was so laid back that he would sleep anywhere and everywhere, including right through his 1st visit to the vets (and when they stuck the needle in) and then he would sleep through the 2nd half of his puppy class.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 11:24:20 AM »
I go along with what Penny said,  its best not to disturb him,he's only a baby, and just like they say of babies, while there sleeping there thriving  :D                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 11:40:18 AM »
Thanks all, he is [size=18]still sleeping, but I feel much less worried about him now!

I hadn't made any serious attempt to disturb him, but if someone walks into the room, he raises one eye, or might even lift his head a bit before dropping back off :?

Having read about the exerpeinces of some COL members on here, I was expecting a four-pawed whirlwind  :lol:  - how long before he finds his feet and beings terrorising us?  :wink:                    
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 01:05:58 PM »
Thanks all, he is [size=18]still sleeping, but I feel much less worried about him now!

I hadn't made any serious attempt to disturb him, but if someone walks into the room, he raises one eye, or might even lift his head a bit before dropping back off :?  

Having read about the exerpeinces of some COL members on here, I was expecting a four-pawed whirlwind  :lol:  - how long before he finds his feet and beings terrorising us?  :wink:

It can vary, as Ruby was a terrorist from day 1 while it took Wilf until he was 7 months old!                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 05:23:30 PM »
Bailey is nearly 15 weeks old now and still sleeps for Britain!  He is so horizontal that sometimes I wonder why he gets up in the morning!!  And no surprise he was sleeping through the night after his first week home!!  He definitely is not poorly - it is just the way he is.  7 weeks down the line and still no change.  If he was my only dog I have always joked that I would be bored a lot of the day!!  And no I am not complaining - I just don't know what adolescence has in store yet!!

We took him to St Andrews yesterday for socializing - when he was waiting outside a shop with my daughter he just curled up on the pavement and went to sleep!!  He wasn't hot or too tired - just happy to pass the time zzzzing while he waited!!  He did wake up and got very excited at his reflection in the shop door though!!  Bless him he gathered a little crowd round him!!

Bailey has a burst of energy for an hour and then sleeps for at least 3 to recover!!  Every time I come on the computer - he follows me in - curls up under the clothes airer and will stay there until I get up again!!

He is happy, he is very confidant, he is super placid, he has a fantastic nature, and this boy is not going to suffer from stress :lol:  :wink:  

Brogan was the devil pup - had me in tears - Bailey still has me grinning like a silly Cheshire Cat :D  

If Brogan ever slept the same way as Bailey - I would be down the vets quicker than grease lightening!!  

Enjoy  :lol:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 10:10:48 PM »
My new cocker had me worried due to her sleepiness. I warned my boys that the new pup would be like a whirl wind compared to our old cocker, but not so. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say she slept 23 hrs a day, because she really was never awake. Apparently her mother was a dozy dog too. I took her to the Vets a couple of weeks after getting her because she worried me and he checked her over and tested her urine and told me she was fine. Some pups, like babies just require more sleep than others. She's nearly 2 yrs old now and as he said, she's fine!

From Karen :lol:                    
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 10:32:37 PM »
Thanx Karen

Molo did perk up a bit this evening, and he is certainly in good voice now he's been 'put to bed'  :roll: .

We had also warned our young daughter that he was likely to be very excitable and lively, and she was really siapoointed today as he was asleep and couldn't play with her.                    
Oldies Club

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 05:49:44 PM »
Lottie slept most of the day until she got to about 15 weeks.

She is 4 months old now and even now sleeps a lot. She loves her walk and a game of ball in the garden, but always sleeps for a good while after.

We've noticed that she gets a burst of energy for about an hour after eating and sometimes during the evening.....otherwise she is very quiet and laid back.

Puppies need to get plenty of sleep, and if they are eating and are happy then i'm sure everything is well.                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 11:47:39 AM »
When we first brought Jovi home I wanted to keep him up as late as possible to wear him out so he would sleep for as long as possible before I had to get up and see to him...

Unfortunately Jovi liked to go to sleep about 9:45pm and nothing you could do would wake him up.  He is quite lively because he has Neo to torment, but I reckon if he was an only dog he would probably sleep alot more, because he is quite a layabout  :lol:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline PennyB

Daytime Sleeping/Naps
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 01:45:57 PM »
When we first brought Jovi home I wanted to keep him up as late as possible to wear him out so he would sleep for as long as possible before I had to get up and see to him...

Unfortunately Jovi liked to go to sleep about 9:45pm and nothing you could do would wake him up.  He is quite lively because he has Neo to torment, but I reckon if he was an only dog he would probably sleep alot more, because he is quite a layabout  :lol:

Wilf wasn't an only dog but could still sleep for Wales when he was a pup!                    
Friends of Hailey Park