Author Topic: Treats  (Read 1253 times)

Offline dianej

• Site Member
Treats
« on: August 07, 2004, 03:40:57 PM »
Hi

I am stil waiting to bring my Jodi home.  Another 2 weeks to go.  I constantly come on to this site as I find it extremely helpful to know what to do etc.... ( and also makes it seem more real as to I am getting her soon)

I have read numerous books & web pages about what to do, but what does cross my mind is that they say to give the puppy lots of treats when she does right.  Now the question is (eventually) is what is the best thing to give, with obviously being a puppy, I wouldn't want an upset belly.
What does anyone suggest the right thing to give quite regularly ( coz I'm sure she will be a darlin' .

Di x   :roll:                    

Offline annemie

• Site Member
    • http://members.chello.nl/~a.notten1/
Treats
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 08:42:04 PM »
It's up by you. A threat can be with a high voice how good she is. But do want to give a real threat you can start with her own dry food.

Here in Holland we have special coockies for puppys.                    
Greetings,

Annemie and a big kiss from Joep, Joris and Henry

[img width= height=]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/annemiejojo/Webfiets.jpg[/img]

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Treats
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 09:44:14 PM »
When my two were pups, I used schmackos. They are great for just breaking a tiny bit off at a time.  When I was through at a show in May, I bought a few bags of "Coachies". They are ideal for training as they are tiny little heart shaped treats and best of all they don't leave crumbs in your pocket :wink:

This is where I ordered my recent supply from - don't think they are available in pet shops.

http://www.traininglines.org.uk/Treats.htm                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Treats
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:29:53 PM »
I bought dried liver and heart treats from here:

http://www.holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/produ...products_id=193

and Molo loves them!

We are trying to use some of his daily food allowance; he has a dried food, Nutro Puppy Chicken and Rice, which is made up of handy little cherrio type biscuits - rather than make him tubby by giving him treats in addition; but at the moment he is not finishing the meals we give him, so a bit extra won't hurt :wink:                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
Treats
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 12:49:06 PM »
My lot love schmacko,s too, but i always have a pocket full of crumbs after shows aswell. Will have to try some of these coachies and see what there like  :)                    

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
Treats
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 03:22:45 PM »
Oscar love jerky, dried liver and the one he like the most is pigs ears, but he will also finish a schmacko in 5 sec                    
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Treats
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 09:05:25 PM »
Just thought I'd add a wee bit here.  Molly was never food motivated as a puppy and we had to find other ways to treat her.   Cuddles were her most favourite treat of all (actually any fuss made of her at all was well appreciated! :lol: ).  Thought I'd let you know in case your pup isn't much of an eater.                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Treats
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 09:46:08 PM »
Tracey

I'm glad someone mentioned this.

I'm getting very  :( sad :( , cos I can't seem to make Molo's tail wag  :oops:

Hes happy to see up in the morning and when hes been on his own for a bit, and the tail goes like anything, but when I praise and play with him to reward him for 'toileting' outside, theres nothing, not a flicker of movement, despite me trying everything from soft 'fluffy' cuddles to really over the top enthusiastic stuff - nothing seems to reach this little boy...he's just so cool and laid back.

He's not especially food orientiated either, although he enjoyed a few biccies in a plastic bottle earlier!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Treats
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 10:26:01 PM »
Rachel

I'm getting very  sad  , cos I can't seem to make Molo's tail wag  

Hes happy to see up in the morning and when hes been on his own for a bit, and the tail goes like anything, but when I praise and play with him to reward him for 'toileting' outside, theres nothing, not a flicker of movement, despite me trying everything from soft 'fluffy' cuddles to really over the top enthusiastic stuff - nothing seems to reach this little boy...he's just so cool and laid back  

Alfie was the same for the first few days, the only interaction was his nipping :( Two weeks down the line, the tail goes like billy ho and hes flat out on his back for a belly rub quicker then a rat out of a trap :) Howver he still doesn't like to be cuddled :( The closest he gets to snuggling is he may decide to lie against my feet to sleep :)

As for food, well hes finally sussed that if Im at a certain place in the kitchen it means food and once that sunk in he learned to sit and give his paw pretty quick :)

Id guess that Molo is still finding his feet and Im sure that tail will be going 19 to a dozen before you know it

Caroline and Alfie                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Treats
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 11:29:16 AM »
High grade treats for my two are slice hotdog sausages (the hertz ones you can get in tescos) and little cubes of cheese.  These are great for training classes where the distraction is quite high.  I try to keep the bits small because they do make them a bit loose, but boy do they work.

I have used dried kibble for Jovi at home or small amounts of puffed jerky, but the dogs don't work as hard for it as the would for hot dog and cheese!  :wink:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Treats
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »
Hi

Luckily for me Any food motivated Jarvis and he loves just about everything. I used smackos until my trainer gave me dried liver as it quite strong smeling and kept his attention on me . Only problem it cam in quite large pieces and was really hard to break up. Ran out of treats the other day and gave Jarvis cheese and i'll tell you he was licking his lips and now i cant get his head out of the fridge  :?

Lorraine and Jarvis