Author Topic: bathing puppies and that powder.....  (Read 930 times)

Offline bunny

• Site Member
bathing puppies and that powder.....
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:54:10 PM »
i have just bathed eddie and barnaby together in a shallow bath, and they loved it, thought they would have been terrified, elmo was at the first time, anyway i had to tell you i tried crazy dogs new puppy shampoo and it smells like" baby talc", you put on the children, mmmmmmmm......they smell divine, and the coat is shiney and so soft, worth a try, i am also going to invest in the ear powder, i have forgotten the name, its in an old thread, but does anyone have an idea as to how much you safely can put in the ear, and do they have an old nik nak item that they find usefull around the house to put the powder successfully in the ear, that you would recomend so as to get the exact amount, if you know what i mean safely in, as someone said it went like concrete, as they used to much i think,                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 05:20:34 PM »
I use the same shampoo for Lottie, my daughter chose it cos of the smell :D ..and you are right it smells wonderful.

I didnt know that they made an ear powder, I use Thornit powder which was one recommended on a thread here. Only need to use a small amount on the end of a teaspoon.
It is easier to get into Goldies ears than Lotties though....cos Lottie doesnt keep still for long :roll: .So have to be careful not to jab her ear with the spoon or spill the powder over the floor :lol: .
I'd be interested to know if there is an easier method.                    

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 06:05:08 PM »
mmmmm, I can smell it now, mmmmmm                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 08:55:59 PM »
I too have the "talc" shampoo. I don't like bathing too often even though my boy is orange roan and addicted to mud as I believe it doesn't do their coats much good. I prefer to dry him and brush him clean. However he is NO show dog!

Ear powder: I use Thornit. I slightly dampen cotton wool, then apply the powder to the cotton wool and wipe inside the dog's ears. It adheres better than applying it dry.

It works well for Lotty but less so for JB. My mother suggests bicarbonate of soda (she's an excellent nurse) and I think I'll try that for JB. I love the clean smell of Thornit. Also strip the ears using a thinning comb or be brave and use scissors.  :)                    

Offline bunny

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 02:07:39 PM »
I use the same shampoo for Lottie, my daughter chose it cos of the smell :D ..and you are right it smells wonderful.

I didnt know that they made an ear powder, I use Thornit powder which was one recommended on a thread here. Only need to use a small amount on the end of a teaspoon.
It is easier to get into Goldies ears than Lotties though....cos Lottie doesnt keep still for long :roll: .So have to be careful not to jab her ear with the spoon or spill the powder over the floor :lol: .
I'd be interested to know if there is an easier method.

thats the one i meant thanks. and yes it would be nice to know if anyone has any tricks of the trade, or handy items or equipment of some description they use to administer the powder properly :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:43:52 PM »
You don't actually need any special item or equipment to administer Thornit. I have always used the lid from the bottle - just pour a little powder into the lid then tip into ear canal, then massage ear to distribute the powder. Easy & quick :)

Jane                    
Jane