Author Topic: microchip  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
microchip
« on: August 12, 2004, 09:20:45 PM »
Hi everbody

I experienced the worst visit to the vet tonite ever :(  :( Rusty got microchipped and it was awful :(  :( he was squealing like a banshee  :(  :( it was very upsetting for me as I can't cope with Rusty thinking I was letting anything bad happen to him :cry:  :cry:  I thought it was suppose to be just like getting his injections, there was blood everywhere I got awful fright has anyone else experienced this while getting their dog microchipped.....also the vet put it in the skin in his back, I thought it was suppose to be put in their neck......

Elle & Rusty xx                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 09:48:02 PM »
I had been warned that it may hurt for a few seconds, and can cause a squeal, however, we were lucky, and Jazz didn't seem to notice a thing.

How is Rusty now? Better I hope?

I can't imagine how awful it must have been, but definitely feel its worth getting the microchip done myself.

Cathy                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 09:53:21 PM »
That must have been awful for you and for Rusty  :?   Morgan and Cooper both had theirs put in their necks and fortunately neither of them made a sound or even flinched so no pain during or after from what I counld tell  :?

I afree with Cathy though, it is a good idea to have it done - gives you a little more peace of mind  :)

Hope Rusty is feeling better now, don't worry, he's probably forgotten all about it already  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
microchip
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 09:57:59 PM »
Oh  - poor you and poor Rusty - hope you are both recovered now!

Molo was chipped on Wednesday.....the vet was really good, and distracted him with loads of treats and he only let out one yip...and there was certainly no blood - I'd have been hysterical!

The chip went in between the shoulder blades, but becos the needle is quite long, the entry was quite far back.

I'm also in favour of microchips - the momentary distress is definitely worth the peace of mind.

Take care                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 10:08:10 PM »
Oh poor you, what a horrible experience.

Lottie was chipped at 11 weeks and apart from a little yelp took it very quietly. Her chip is between her shoulder blades. The needle was HUGE, but there wasn't any blood.

As has already been said, Rusty has probably forgotten all about it, so don't let it worry you.

I also think that it is well worth the few seconds of discomfort to have the lifetime of cover and security.                    

Offline PennyB

microchip
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:21:51 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Rusty will have forgotten it by now                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
Thankyou for all your replies and support  :D  :D He has forgotten all about it he is back to his lively go lucky little self, but me I'm still in shock but i'm definately sure I did the right thing :)  :) thanks again :)

Elle & Rustyxx                    

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 08:37:56 AM »
Hi Elle,

Due to our imminent move we had to have all the cats microchipped last week and I was dreading it but only one of them gave out a little squeek - there was no blood and the chips were placed between their shoulder blades.

When Piper had her's done she didn't even notice it  :roll:

Glad to hear that Rusty is back to his normal self!

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline andy_pritchard

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:51:12 AM »
When we had our rescue dog they chipped him for free. The first chip had worked its way out of his skin by the time we had him back in the car so he had to have it done again. unfortunately the lady that did his chipping the second time accidently stabbed herself in the hand with the needle gun thing, there was lots of blood from her!                    

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 09:45:11 AM »
Tilly also had a bad experience with her microchipping, Elle, but it didn't last and I too think it was worth it for the reasurance fo the chip.  There was a LOT of blood when Tilly was chipped - I think the nedle must have hit a vein or something.  It was very upsetting to hear her cry and I know how you must have felt, because it's probably the same as I did!  The bleeding soon cleared up though and Tilly still loves going to the vet :roll: !  I guess as with most things, reactions vary from dog to dog and vet to vet.   Tilly's chip was between her shoulder-blades.

I'm sure Rusty won't bear a grudge!  Hope you are both feeling better now.

Sue and Tilly                    

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 10:45:21 AM »
Thanks for all your replies :D  :D  :D

I am much better today :D and Rusty is absolutely fine no after effects which is excellent :D  :D

Elle & Rusty xx                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 10:50:52 AM »
It's not nice for them to have injections and microchipping done but it's for a very good reason and they forget about it quickly  :)                    

Offline MPG

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »
Teddy just got his microchip on Monday (at 11 weeks) it was painful but he was very brave. I did get a bit of a shock though when I saw the needle, it looked more like an intrument of torture! However, 24 hrs later he was right as rain and the swelling/pain had totally disappeared and, as all the others say, it's the sensible thing to do so very much worth the 2 secs of pain.  Just be careful picking them up afterwards as its quite tender just for a while.                    

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
microchip
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 02:25:26 PM »
Fern was microchipped when they first came out - back then then vet shaved a chunk of fur away - she looked like she had a reverse mohican!!!!

Nearly a decade on  it is still working!!!!!!! Hows that for value for money!

Clare                    
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
microchip
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 07:26:24 PM »
We had Varhi chipped whilst she was sedated from being spayed. The debate is now whether to get Rufy neutered - which brings me back to getting him chipped.

I'd hate to see him distressed, but agree it's worth while to have it done.