Author Topic: Agility with a legaly docked cocker?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline _jac_

Agility with a legaly docked cocker?
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Hi,

Ok , defra rules state thet a dog docked after Aprill 2007 can't be shown where a spectators entrance fee is charged, such as crufts, Olympia etc unless the dog is demonstrating it working ability.

I have been looking into working cockers and wondered if a legaly docked dog qualified for one of these events, can they be run? Or does the working bit only cover gundog aspects?

Defra rules below.

Tail DockingTail Docking of Dogs (85kb - pdf)

This information applies to England only.

The docking of dogs’ tails has been banned in England since 6 April 2007.

There are exemptions from the ban for certain types of working dog, or where docking is performed for medical treatment.

There is also a ban on the showing of dogs docked after this date at events where members of the public have paid an entrance fee. This ban does not apply where a dog is shown only for the purpose of demonstrating its working ability.

The exemption allows certain types of working dog to have their tails docked by a veterinary surgeon. The dog has to be no more than 5 days old and the veterinary surgeon must certify that he or she has seen evidence that the dog is likely to work in one of the specified areas.

Owners and keepers wishing to have a working dog’s tail docked must ensure that this is undertaken in accordance with the law.

To access the Animal Welfare Act 2006 and The Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations 2007 visit the Office of Public Sector Information.

I would love if someone can clarify for me  :D

Jac x  :huh:

If you want a better dog, be a better owner.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Agility with a legaly docked cocker?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »
I haven't got a clue really but I would have thought if you have a dog that was docked before April 07 then they can be run as long as you have proof ie vaccs cards / pedigree etc with the date of birth on to proove the dog was born and docked before that date

But must admit this is just how I would read it - so will be interested in those people that have had to look into it properly due to showing etc

Offline _jac_

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Thanks, I have just found another thread on this, and it seems that they will not be eligible for Crufts, Olympia if docked after April 2007.

I really should have searched harder before I posted....................................sorry  :embarassed:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:54 PM »
jac...I looked into getting a little worker for agility a while ago (never amounted to anything due to other commitments), but I found some breeders are willing to leave the tail on a dog if you choose it very soon after it is born.  If you do want a worker and have aspirations to compete at Olympia/Crufts its worth asking around  :blink:

Offline _jac_

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
Thanks, yes I think you are right I will have to go down that route as my youngsters are very keen on the YKC activities and it would be a shame if they qualified for something and were unable to compete.

Looks like pedigree's will have to be pretty much the deciding factor, but I am fortunate to have someone very experienced helping me out  :D