Author Topic: New puppy Blodwen - day two! (new photos added on same link)  (Read 2819 times)

Offline rwasinski

Hello there everyone, newbie here - we picked up our new 10 week old baby girl yesterday morning. The three of us, hubby, Blodwen and myself are now sitting in front of the TV watching a Sunday afternoon film, exhausted!

Our first night wasn't too bad at all. We have a crate with a play pen area attached which she has taken to marvellously. She cried and howled once but when we went down to see her she had done a number two in her play area so we quickly cleared that up and stayed with her until she settled again, she was quiet then until hubby went down to see to her at 6.30am for her morning feed. The howling was heartbreaking though, as if someone was torturing her!

She doesnt feel comfortable going to toilet outside, she seems to feel a lot safer doing it in the kitchen - we try to clear it all up thoroughly after each accident. We keep an eye out for the crouching position and when she starts to go, tell her firmly 'no' and take her outside. She won't go outside but as soon as we bring her back in, she starts to go again. We keep reading the toilet training advice and info over and over, but we will persevere! We've tried taking a piece of newspaper out that she has already been on to the place in the garden where we want her to go but she didnt seem interested in that. It doesnt help with the raining weather which makes it soggy and damp and wet outside on the paving slabs.

She does get very distracted outside by the little stones she picks up from the patio floor - she picks them up and the crunching noise she makes is terrifying  -we try to get the stones out of her mouth as quickly as possible! 

Cannot get over how well behaved she is though, very placid and even tempered, will sit very quietly even when alone in her room (the kitchen). It's just such a pleasure having her around!

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: New puppy Blodwen - day two!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
Welcome to COL and congratulations on Blodwen, fab name by the way, its early days with the toilet training she will get there ;) What type is she worker or show, what colour, you know us COLers are obssesive about these things and we simply must have pics :005: :005:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL! Your little one sounds lovely, she'll get there with the toilet training, it just takes time :luv:.

we'll need pics ;)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:03:25 PM »
Here are some piccies that we took at 8 weeks. I will post more once we have uploaded them onto computer. She is a show golden little angel!

http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad285/biqueboo/?albumview=slideshow

Hope the link works!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Why don't you reverse your method of toilet training and turn it into a positive experience ...ie wait with her outside and encourage her to get used to being and playing outside and when she eventually wee's/poo's praise her to the hilt and offer her a little treat  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Charlie & Jasper

• Jasper the village idiot
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »
Blowden is absolutely gorgeous  :luv:  :luv:

I hope the toilet training gets better - Jasper didn't want to go on the grass at first but like livercake has said we stayed outside with him until he did and then lots of praise and he eventually got there!!  :D
Charlie 27.01.08 - 04.04.09

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Yes we will try to keep her out there for longer periods and try to get her accustomed to the environment and believe me, we will go crazy with praise when she eventually goes out there!!!!!! I will be so proud of my baby when she does her first one outside!!

We will also be hiring a power washer to clean the patio area next Saturday and get rid of the nasty little stones etc! So paranoid she might choke!

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL. :D Blodwen looks lovely and I'm sure you'll have so much fun with her. :luv:

I've been housetraining my new puppy too this week. To start with I took him outside and stayed with him for as long as it took whilst saying "Go pee-pee" or "Go toilet" over and over again, whichever one I thought he needed, and just waited until he did it, saying the same phrase during it so he associated those words with going, then gave him the over the top praise. He soon caught on and is now going out himself when he needs to go, but I still go out and give the command and the praise. :D

It takes time, but your little puppy will soon get used to it, it's early days. On Duggie's second night here I took him out at midnight in the pouring rain and howling wind, and he bolted back inside! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the pics, she is beautifull :luv: :luv: :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »
aww she is a golden princess  :luv: I have a black girly Bluebell ( Bella) and a blue roan girly ( Jasmine) and I would love a golden girly one day. She is absolutely adorable. Lucky you.
As for house training it takes patience and a lot of time hanging around outside waiting. It will come. My elder girly was nearly 4 months old when I had her and accustomed to going on newspaper,  I could not get her to go outside, it did not matter how long I stayed outside it was nicer to do it in the kitchen on the paper. My mum suggested putting the peed on paper outside and then she could smell it, do you know it worked, she went on the newspaper outside then I was able to remove the paper once she was in the habit. I ignored her if she did it in the house but praised her when she went outside and gave a treat. My next dog was so easy to train as the breeder had worked on her so when I got her at 7.5 weeks she already had an understanding of what was expected and she would also copy what Bella did. It is frustrating but you will get their eventually - good luck. Love the name by the way and cant wait to see more photos
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
She is gorgeous, welcome to COL. The toilet training will come, it's not so easy when it's wet. Our youngest still walks around wet grass like he's walking on hot coals.

Good luck and look forward to lots more pictures  :blink:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
Oh Blodwen is absolutely gorgeous......she reminds me of my little Ollie when he was a teeny tiny babe...... he's five and a half months now.

It is hard with the toilet training...........and, even harder with all this wet weather we are having.  I persevere and stand outside with my two, but they hate the rain, and run for the door again scratching away.  As you say, as soon as they get in, it's the paper they head for.

Good luck.....here's wishing you lots of cocker lovin' with Blodwen. x
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »
Thank you all for your encouragement and support! This is a fab site! And guess what?!!! Blodwen did her first outside number one and number two just a little while ago!!!!!!!

We got prepared after her nap and gave her plenty of water to drink and were determined to get her to do it outdoors. We kept the kitchen door closed and waited and waited and waited! and they finally came!!! We made a HUGE HUGE fuss and gave her treats after each incident.

What is interesting though, and not surprising I suppose, is that she likes to have privacy and won't do it whilst anyone is around and watching her. So hubby and I waited around the corner and peeped around the wall to spot her in action!!! I am so so relieved and feel that we have made huge progress so its about reinforcing this over and over and hopefully she will get the message soon!!! Phew! So proud!

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
Well done Blodwen ;) :luv: :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
Hi, My little one is 15 months and it took us at least 6 months to toilet train her and she was still having the odd accident after that, so as others have said you just have to be very patient with them,  which can be hard when its pouring down, in the early hours and trying not to wake the neighbours whist telling them to wee wee  :005: but you sound like you are doing everything right. 
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)