Author Topic: Sheba My Black Gsd  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Sheba My Black Gsd
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:18:24 PM »
Sheba, you came into our life quite unexpectedly, when I first saw you so thin and sore, I cried, I looked into your eyes and could almost read your pain, your desperation, seeking a new start another chance at happiness.  I took you home from the cold floors of the rescue centre, I bathed you, took you the vet and promised you, this home was forever.   The vet told me you had major health problems, your ears wouldn't prick up anymore, due to the ear infections you'd had that had gone untreated, your skin was in a very poor state, in places red and sore.  I would take you for little walks, people would stand, stare and point at you, I would feel sad for you, you were such a dignified girl, I wanted to give you that dignity back.  We set about, getting you on the road to recovery, we bathed you daily in special ointment, we tried to feed you up, but no weight would you gain, we took you back the vets, they did tests, you had a gluten allergy, so we changed your diet, within weeks you started to put weight on.  You were very happy within your new home, you were quite scared of other people though, you thought they would try and hurt you, as that was all you knew.  When we went out and left you alone, you would howl and cry until we returned, you were scared you were being abanded again, we got a nice lady to come and talk to us, to try and help you overcome this, as our neighbours were losing patience.  You did improve a little, but we decided it wasn't fair to put you through, so your nan would come up and sit with you and take you for walks with Meg, you liked that.   We took you to be speyed, during the operation, we got a call from the vet, he had left you on the table and told me that he thought you had cancer of the throat, he could not get the tube down your throat, we waited for the phone to ring with results of your test, it was good news, you had a grisley lump, nothing, that would cause you any harm, we picked you up from the vets and took you to nans, we lived in a flat then, I didn't want you to struggle up the stairs after the op, so I slept on the floor with you in your nans hall.  

A couple of years passed, when one day your dad, was tickiling your tum, he noticed a lump in one of your boobs, we took you the vets, it was terrible news, you had cancer :(  the vet said it was too advanced to help you with medicines, to let you be, until you were in pain.  I got pregnant with our first child, you were very protective of me, you would come up to my tummy and sniff it, its like you knew, there was a baby in there.  Your health deteriated, you started to look sad, you couldn't go the toilet, you couldn't be bothered jumping on the bed anymore, we took you the vet, he said it was time, I couldn't believe it, I was going to lose my best friend, my beautiful black princess, I didn't want you to go, I told the vet NO, I want her to meet my baby, I left the vets with you, I cried all the way home, that night bonfire night, I sat and cuddled you, I knew in my head I should let you go, but my heart couldn't take the pain, I decided I was being selfish, I phoned the vet and told him I would bring you in the morning.  That was the shortest night, it went too fast, there were so many things I wanted you to know.  Your nan, didn't think I should go with you, I was 8 months pregnant, but I insisted that I brought you home, I would be the last person you would see, your dad and grandad came too, you lay down and I hugged you as you slipped away, I didn't ever want to let go of you, I felt I hadn't had enough time with you, three years was all we managed to give you, you deserved so much more than that Sheba.  The time after was hard, I so wanted you to meet my little baby, I used to tell her all about you, about the lovely black princess we took home from the rescue place, the beautiful girl that had been so badly let down by humans.  I know we didn't have much time together Sheba, but the times we had, were very special, its almost 9 years, since you slipped away, I remember it like it was yesterday, the look on your face, was telling me to be happy, I just hope you are happy Sheba, you are forever in our hearts and in our memories, I am glad you found you trust again and I am so very honoured to have been your owner.

We love you and miss you always Our Black Princess.

xxxxxxxxxxxx