Author Topic: Tan - My Best Friend  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Tan - My Best Friend
« on: October 08, 2004, 03:47:06 PM »
Tan came into my life in when I was 15 years old. His mother had been tied to the gate at Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary, abandoned & heavily pregnant. She gave birth to a beautiful litter and you were the only one that colour. When we came to see you, you caught my eye immediatley and I was in love. You had the sweetest nature, even though you chewed your way around the house, I never lost my patience, how could I? My husband had never had a dog before and when he met you he was smitten, he adored you. I remember when I had to move to Scotland and leave you, i was devastated, this didn't last long, as 4 months later when we got the key's to our first flat, the very same day we drove 250 miles just to come and get you!! We married in April 1994, and one of the pictures in my wedding album, is of me sitting with you, you were a special part of our day. We used to take you for lovely walks and sit on the swings in the park watching you chase your ball. Then I was 5 months pregnant,  your daddy took you out for a walk, he threw a ball and you ran, then screamed out in pain, you couldn't walk, I was in shock, the thought of anything happening to you was just beyond belief. The vet's kept you for 2 days and I can remember sobbing my heart out, I couldn't imagine life without you. But you got better, slowly, I even carried you up and down the stairs to the flat, anything to help you get better. Then Hayley was born and even though you had never been brought up with children, you accepted her with all your heart. Shortly after we moved house, and you had a lovely garden to play in.
As the years went on, I could tell that you felt confused and disorientated, your back legs were hurting, and you couldn't hear or see me the same anymore. We loved you so much, the thought of letting you go was to much to bear. In the end I just couldn't watch you suffer any longer, I was torn in two  :(  
I kissed you goodbye with tears flooding from my eyes, your daddy couldn't even look me in the eyes, he was inconsolable. Daddy couldn't stay until the end, he just couldn't bear it, he was so upset, the most upset I have ever seen him. He wishes he'd been brave enough and he is so sorry for that. When he came home, the hosue was quiet, no one spoke, I took your empty collar and lead and cried un til I couldn't cry anymore. You fought until the end, and went to rainbow bridge 2 weeks before your 15th birthday.
Your picture is by my bed and I know you are looking down on us.
The girls will never forget you, nor will we, you have a piece of our hearts forever.

Run free my gorgeous boy, free from pain, wait for me at the bridge.

Gilly(your mummy)