Author Topic: Search and Rescue Dogs  (Read 3616 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Search and Rescue Dogs
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
That sounds absolutely fantastic, well done Harley  :shades: :luv:

How involved will you be in the training? The only thing that would worry me, is if my dog bonded better with the handler than with me  ph34r :huh: But the idea of her doing such a fantastic job is amazing.

Way to go Harley  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
  • Harley Boy looking good !!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »

How involved will you be in the training? The only thing that would worry me, is if my dog bonded better with the handler than with me  ph34r :huh: But the idea of her doing such a fantastic job is amazing.

Sorry I didnt make it clear, I will be the handler, and I will instruct Harley.  The Police just give me a location to search, and I will have another person with me, who operates the radio, and gives our location etc.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »

Sorry I didnt make it clear, I will be the handler, and I will instruct Harley.  The Police just give me a location to search, and I will have another person with me, who operates the radio, and gives our location etc.

That is just amazing. How did you get into this? PM me if you would prefer. I'm really interested to know more  ;)

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »

That is just amazing. How did you get into this? PM me if you would prefer. I'm really interested to know more  ;)

Hi Sue

I meet the peeps concerned at Paws in the Park earlier this year.  They are part of a national organisation called SARDA.  If you google them, there might be one near you!!  (Not sure).

Jenny, Harley & Mayhem

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
Think they usually have a stand at Crufts too  :blink:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
Wow! Well done Jenny and Harley!

I'd love to do that... Don't think it's Dave's cuppa but Normy is amazing at air scenting and ground tracking, an ex met police dog trainer commented on how good she'd be. Don't think we're wild enough around here though for there to be much call for her though :-\ Also..... Sue have a look at the England SARDA site here and click on the sheep to watch this video:

http://www.sardaengland.org.uk/stocktest.htm

The video is of the dogs being 'stock tested' with sheep as they have to be totally steady with livestock, one collie actually keeps still whilst a mad sheep jumps over it's head :o :o :o Not sure mine are quite up to that despite them being pretty good around sheep now... Do you think Chloe would be able to resist??? :005: :005: ph34r ph34r ph34r

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
Well, that was a short lived idea  :shades: ;)

The SARDA Scotland website says that you have to be an active member of your local mountain rescue team, or have 2 years past experience with another mr team. As much as I love the hills, there is no way I want to join the mr team, and as Hannah says, I don't think Chloe is quite up to resisting the sheep at the moment - she would definitely forget about the lost/wounded person she was supposed to be looking for in favour of chasing the wooly things  :shades: :005:

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »

I'd love to do that... Don't think it's Dave's cuppa but Normy is amazing at air scenting and ground tracking, an ex met police dog trainer commented on how good she'd be. Don't think we're wild enough around here though for there to be much call for her though :-\

We are doing it with Kent Search and Rescue, and they just use the dogs when a missing person is reported missing, so could be in the local woods, etc, doesnt mean Mountain Search and Rescue.  Don't think there are any major mountain ranges in Kent  ;)

The SARDA Scotland website says that you have to be an active member of your local mountain rescue team, or have 2 years past experience with another mr team.

Yep we have to joing the local MKSAR group and I have to go on training days with the aswell, to learn how to use the radios, and to map read(properly), and to not just use me sat nav  :lol2:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 04:09:57 PM »
Congratulations

One of the four paws dogs has just been taken on to do this role (he's only a pup though) as well - in the case of SARDA in this part of Wales the humans tend to act as 'bodies' then graduate up to handlers if they want to. Murphy will be part of the lowland search team
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!