Author Topic: The Kennel Club Breeder Plan - Insurance designed specifically for Dog Breeders  (Read 2632 times)

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Not really sure where to post this but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. As I only have a small number of dogs I have taken to having them all insured and have used petplan and argos with no problems at all. I have just done an online quote for this Breeder's Insurance and it does seem very reasonable.

I am currently paying £16.94 for one of my bitches with PetPlan which of course doesn't include any treatment related to breeding such as c-sections or complications with whelping. I am quite attracted to this new policy from the Kennel Club as it states you can claim for up to 2 c-sections and it also covers the puppies from illness or accidents from 5-12 weeks or until sold. My quote came out at just £23.51 with the lowest excess of just £75 and 10% of the total claim (other options are available to reduce premium).

I have been very lucky with breeding as I am at home all day and my girls live in the house with me I am usually alerted to any problems right away, but I can't help thinking how it would be a weight off my mind having this to fall back on if needed, especially as it's only an extra £6.57 a month  :D

What are people's thoughts? Any breeders use this policy?
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
Just read this,am very interested myself,so will look for it on there web site.I,too.have mine insured with pet plan,but at £26 for each dog(i have 8)i cant afford this,so have just swapped some to sainsburys,which is more cover for just £19 odd,but would def.insure my breeding bitchs if possible,(i only have 2)for peace of mind,mine are also all living in house with me,as you never no what might go wrong when whelping,being insured for a c-section is brilliant,i think.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline magga wagga

sainsbury's are good for lifetime insurnace and will cover you for 2 or three litters with a dog before they consider you as using your dogs as a business-thats what they told me when i queried it for my first mini schnauzer. if you have quite a few dogs why don't you cancel your insurance policy (s), open a post office account or something and just do a standing order for a similar amount and let it all build up then it doesnt matter how old the dog is or what the treatment is for, you will still have the money.

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
sainsbury's are good for lifetime insurance and will cover you for 2 or three litters with a dog before they consider you as using your dogs as a business-thats what they told me when i queried it for my first mini schnauzer. if you have quite a few dogs why don't you cancel your insurance policy (s), open a post office account or something and just do a standing order for a similar amount and let it all build up then it doesnt matter how old the dog is or what the treatment is for, you will still have the money.

I have heard a lot of breeders talk about saving regularly rather than pet insurance but it would take a long time to save up sufficient amounts and there is every chance it could be needed before enough money has been saved. For example even £20 a month for 2 years is only £480.

I have yet to see a "Pet" policy which covers breeding bitches, I have just looked at the Sainsburys policy and it states:

General exclusions applicable to all sections of the policy:

Your pet being used for breeding purposes, guarding, track racing, coursing or
used in connection with any business, trade, profession or occupation.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
We have ours insured with E&L and have done so for years. Just had to make a claim as one of our older boys was having problems with incontinence. They have so far taken over two months to process the claim and are doing anything they can think of to avoid paying out even though we have never claimed on any of the policies up to now (Buster is 9 years old so been paying all that while). The moral of the story is that I would AVOID E&L like the plague. After all of this is sorted out I am going to change all of my dogs over to Petplan, Jen x
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline dat fee

hello

New to COL. I am a veterinary nurse and i deal with completing the insurance claims for our clients. I will agree that E and L are absolutely awful, they take 9-12 months to pay out on a claim and thats only if they havent found the slightest reason not to. Many practices, including most referrall centres, will not let you do a direct claim if you are insured with E and L, you will have to find the money to pay the vets first, then you have to wait for the pay out for all that time. In my opinion, petlplan are fantastic, they pay very quickly as do tesco and sainsburys and morethan, however many of these type of companies are not lifetime cover, but it depends what you are after. I have looked into the kennel club breeder plan and i think it should definately be considered rather than just saving amounts each month yourself.