Author Topic: What colour parents for a black and white cocker?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline rwasinski

What colour parents for a black and white cocker?
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »
Just thinking about our future puppies  :005:

We met a lush black and white cocker a few weeks back, he was beeeautiful! I just wondered what colour the parents must be to produce a black and white (not blue roan) and whether they are commonly found?

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline milly

• Donator
Re: What colour parents for a black and white cocker?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
This link explains the genetics of colours in working cockers -
http://bryningbordercollies.com/Working-Cocker-Colours
Milly

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
We had litter of 9 black/white's a couple of years ago.  :luv:   Jo Jo was the mum, she is choc/white/tan roan - the dad was black/white.  I believe if one of the parents carries black/white the odds are high that some or all of the puppies will be black/white.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
I believe if one of the parents carries black/white the odds are high that some or all of the puppies will be black/white.  :D

But only if the other parent also carries the recessive "and white" gene ;) If you mate a black & white to a blue roan which doesn't carry for "and white", there won't be any "and whites" in the litter, just roans (roan being dominant over "and white").
Jane

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:37:21 AM »
My Lily (B&W) came from our Rosie (orange roan) and Andre (blue roan)....Andre was known for siring b&w and also Rosie's sister is o&w, out of 3 litters Rosie only produced B&W with Andre.

Offline ARNOLD

• Site Member
  • Barney Boy/ Lamb Chop
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »
We have Robson a black and white who's mam is blue roan and dad is orange roan.  Breeders were expecting blue roans and orange roans and were surprised when she had 4 blue roans and 1 black and white.  They checked with the sire's owners and there had been black and white's along the lines.

Janet, John, Barney and Robson

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:01:15 PM »
Our black and white has a Red dad, he was the only dad which could have mated, there was a blue roan, black and red puppies in the litter. The mum was black and white. Behind the dad was black and white and red again, so the red dad carries the parti-colour gene.
One cocker leads to another...

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:44:46 PM »
How do breeder tell between blue roan and black and white pups? Looking at litter pictures, the blue roans look like black and whites to me!  :005: Would a breeder know to expect a black and white pup (so would it be worthwhile being put on a waiting list) or would we just have to wait until a litter were born?

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 08:17:51 PM »
How do breeder tell between blue roan and black and white pups? Looking at litter pictures, the blue roans look like black and whites to me!  :005: Would a breeder know to expect a black and white pup (so would it be worthwhile being put on a waiting list) or would we just have to wait until a litter were born?

A breeder can tell if the pup will be black/white or blue roan by the paw pads.  If the toe pads are black which starts merging together the pup will be blue roan, and if they have more pink on them the pup will be black/white or black/white ticked.  I think thats the right way round  :huh:  I know they look so similar when they are tiny puppies.  We had 9 black/white's when we had our 1st litter, and i remember being concerned on how on earth i would be able to tell them apart, so we started drawing diagrams of their markings  :shades:  :005:   The breeder would know which colours to expect, so it would be worth going on a list, but of course until they are born, health checked, weaned etc nothing is guarenteed.  Puppies are actually born in a premature state, so the first few days are quite a worry for the breeder. 

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Doggiecrazy

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »
The pads on the feet works for chocolate and white / choc roan aswell. but I have known of one which looks like a black/white tan with pink pads but has turned out to be a blue roan&tan. I have found you can usually tell when they are about two weeks old.  :D
One cocker leads to another...