Author Topic: Father Sire, Dam Daughter  (Read 3899 times)

Offline ali carrera

• Limited Member
  • CARRERA & PORTIA
Father Sire, Dam Daughter
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
I am looking to get a new pup.
May I ask if it is common for the Dams Father to Sire a litter from his Daughter?
This is the case with the new pup I am considering.
I have no knowledge at all about breeding and do not intend to.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Father Sire, Dam Daughter
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »
As of last year the Kennel Club no longer register puppies born from parent/offspring or sibling/sibling matings so these pups will not be able to be registered. Was it done purposely or is it an accidental litter? If done purposely I would really want to know why but in any case I would steer clear of buying an inbred and unregistered pup, this is not a common practice unless in very exceptional circumstances, as the KC terms it 'for scientifically proven welfare reasons'.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/346
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:43:07 AM »
Father/daughter?! Not common but not unheard of (usually an accident; I hope  ::))

this is what I would do:

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline san

• Even and me
    • san's website
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:24:45 PM »
it's the case for my cocker. arwen: her father is her grand father too ::)...it depends on the subject, but I 'm very happy with my dog, she's fantastic, very nice, always happy....but she's very little, she's on the limit of the standard. ;) such consangunity accentuate defaults, and if it's a good subject, give qualities too ;)

sorry for my english :embarassed:

San, Arwen ,Even and Ilfirīn, from Brittany

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:16 PM »
Not a pup I would personally go for, father/daughter mother/son off spring can not be registered with the KC

One question, can 1/2 siblings be mated?   I know it says full siblings brother/sister can't be registered.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
One question, can 1/2 siblings be mated?   I know it says full siblings brother/sister can't be registered.

Yes at the moment although who knows what might be brought in at some stage in the future. It's not a mating I would do though - you'd need a very good reason to go this close.
Jane

Offline BeckyD

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »
would breeding as close as this not cause health problems  :huh:
Life is only worth living when it is blidingly colourful and the occassional mess

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »
would breeding as close as this not cause health problems  :huh:

It's not the cause of health problems, but it will double (or more) the chances of any genetic problems showing up in the puppies. And since the genetics of a lot of other things are not known, and there are not tests for them (such as autoimmune problems) you just don't know what will come out of such a mating  :-\

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline BeckyD

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »
this happened with a cocker my dad bought 10 years ago, he didnt do enough research before buying her but she is far too closely bred and ended up with so many health problems, we still have her and she is the loveliest dog you could wish for but sadly she and her half sister (who my uncle owns) are both completly blind, makes me mad to think a breeder could be so careless  >:(
Life is only worth living when it is blidingly colourful and the occassional mess

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »

Yes at the moment although who knows what might be brought in at some stage in the future. It's not a mating I would do though - you'd need a very good reason to go this close.

Yes that's what I thought, I feel the same as you Jane, bit too close for comfort!

Offline black taz

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Personally, i would steer well clear

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
On a tangent a little, is grand daughter to grand father mating OK, or should that be avoided too?   :huh:

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
On a tangent a little, is grand daughter to grand father mating OK, or should that be avoided too?   :huh:

Truth be told, grandfather/grandaughter matings are a long "tradition" (for lack of a better word) in both horse and dog breeding, and can produce some excellent progeny. But again, only from a reputable, knowledgable breeder with very clean lines as it also can double up on the bad as well as the good