Author Topic: Orange roan dad - Orange roan mum???  (Read 1313 times)

Offline henryjack1dogs

Orange roan dad - Orange roan mum???
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »
Hi, Not sure if I have posted this in the correct place.

Can an orange roan dad and an orange roan mum - have blue roan or black and white puppies.

My boys both passed away :'(, were blue roan and black and white - brothers but different litters.  Their Dad was orange roan, I seem to remember their mum was also orange roan or maybe orange and white ( I remember thinking I didn't see many of their colouring around). 16 years ago - memory lapses me.  Can this happen????  The litter that was produced were all blue roan and the second litter was a single black and white  - my Jack.

I know nothing about colour genetics, it's just that I may be taking on a distant relation of them both, father side and when I mentioned above she questioned saying the mum must of been blue - I am 99% sure she wasn't, in the process of moving and I am sure somewhere in my clobber I do have a picture with her puppies.  The question has now set in my head.

Thanks for reading!

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: Orange roan dad - Orange roan mum???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
It may have been the dad that was blue roan as two orange roans should only produce orange roan and orange and white  :blink:.
Cayley.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
I think it depends on their genes and what genes their parents passed onto them. In your dogs mum and dad the 'blue roan gene' and the 'b&w gene' must have been dominant over their orange genes. Thats what i thought anyway, i may be wrong :-\ xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Cayley is right - an orange roan (recessive colour) mated to another orange roan (recessive colour) cannot normally produce blue roans or black & whites (dominant colours) so one of the parents must have been blue roan/black & white and if the whole litter was blue roan/black & white, it suggests that not only was one parent blue roan/black & white but he/she did not carry the orange gene (to produce orange puppies, both parents must carry the gene for this colour).

If you post the names of the parents on the Pedigree Research board, someone may be able to find out their registered colours for you :D

Jane

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 10:17:19 AM »
Thank you for all the replies.  Will try to find the paperwork that shows the names.

:D