Author Topic: Cocker who just won't sleep through the night!  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Dudleysmum

• Dudley at 12 weeks! So many photos!!
Cocker who just won't sleep through the night!
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »
Hi
I am at my wit's end!  We have a 5 month old cocker girl (Millie) who just will not sleep through the night!  She wakes at least once a night to go outside for a wee (even though she has a pee pad fully accessible) and it is usually around 3am, then again before 6am.  This has been every day except about two days! 

We also have a 20 month old cocker boy (Dudley) who slept through the night since about day 3.

What are we doing wrong - if anything - and how can we change this pattern?  We have tried ignoring her, but with two children in the house of school age, after 45 minutes of constant barking, I just have to give in.

Help!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!!

Rachel
Dudley and Millie's Mum!
Dudley's Mum

Offline mooching

Re: Cocker who just won't sleep through the night!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
Could I just ask:

What time is her last walk of the evening?

Is she drinking any more than usual?

How long does she normally go between walks/being let out in the daytime?

It might be an idea to have her checked out by a vet to make sure she doesn't have anything else going on, eg a urinary tract infection.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »
I sypathise with you. My cocker Eric was exactly like Millie and he didn't stop until he was about 7 months (I think, I have blocked the memory from my mind). I just used to get up to him and let him out withhout saying a word, let him do his business and back to bed. I did try setting my alarm and getting up before he would usually start howling the place down so I could let him out to do his business before he had got all worked up and that did seem to help. One day it seemed to just click and I hope it does for you too  :-*

Offline Dudleysmum

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:01 PM »
Hi Mooching.

Her last walk changes time wise, sometimes it's around 9pm and sometimes its as late as 10.30pm, but that does not seem to make a difference.  She has always drunk a lot and I dont think she is drinking any more than usual.

Her daytime routine is a long hour walk first thing (around 6am), a walk again at lunchtime for about 20 mins and then another hour's walk in the evening, with a few trips into the garden thrown in.

It would be worth getting her checked by the vet.  She has always been like it so maybe there is something going on there ... thanks.

EmmaA - that's exactly what I do!  Come down, let her out, let her in and go back to bed, not a word is spoken!  Then she starts again around 5.30ish and I get up at 6am anyway.  The problem is, I dont want her to think that she is being rewarded for her bad behaviour by going out for a walk, but if I dont do the walk, Dudley misses out, or if I leave her and take Dudley, the rest of the household is driven crazy by her barking!

We have tried a device that lets off a dog whistle sound when she barks but it does not seem to have had any effect.  Next is a collar that sprays water every time she barks .... something must work soon!!!

Thanks for the tips guys.

xx

Dudley's Mum

Offline B52

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
Just a thought...

Maybe she is getting tooo much exercise - for 5 months old

and more mental stimulation - games / find the biscuit in the evening would help tire her out

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »
My cocker Rosie did this for around a year  :-\ infact she is nearly 3 and had me up last night, then the others were wide awake by 6am. It is hard when you have to stay awake whilst in school  :005:
I keep a good supply of matchsticks  :005:

What time do you pick up the water ?

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
Our older woofster Blodwen (10 months) has trouble settling each night. Whereas our baby (6 months) goes down each night without a peep into his crate, madam-high-maintenance-princess-Blodwen needs special attention to settle (which involves mum or dad sitting with her until she feels comfy and gives her big sleepy siiiigh!).

Is is the crying that she is getting a response to (and not necessarily the need to toilet?) At 5 months, she should be able to hold it through the night. We have totally fallen into responding to Blod's woofs when we put her down - if she is not comfy and at ease, she will not settle, so we have to stay with her until she is. Both ours settle from 10pm to around 6am. We are in a terraced house at the moment and so have no option but to act quickly or the neighbours would be tearing their hair out. She will woof constantly until she is happy! I'm just wondering whether Millie just thinks this is her routine and that this is what she ought to do.

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
Where is Millie sleeping? Morgan was a terrible pain at night for several months at first. Basically he didn't like his crate, but we felt he (and the house!) were safer if he was there. Eventually when he was about 6 months old, we bit the bullet and let him settle at night in a bed outside the crate. He was wonderful after that,  :angel: previously he'd been crying or barking so we'd get up to let him out then he'd sleep for a couple of hours and start again.  >:D Once he had the choice to be free to sleep in a bed in the hall he stays asleep until we got up and never needs to go out during the night, but it was only possible because he had outgrown the carpet chewing by that stage, fortunately!  :shades:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »

We have tried a device that lets off a dog whistle sound when she barks but it does not seem to have had any effect.  Next is a collar that sprays water every time she barks .... something must work soon!!!

Before you try these kind of methods, take a look at the pinned thread at the top of the behaviour board on the use of aversives. 
They can easily backfire, and leave you with more problems - and I especially wouldn't use them on a pup.  :-\

My parent's Border Collie used to bark at other dogs as a pup, and their trainer told them to spray her with water when she barked.  This resulted in a seriously dog-aggressive adult dog, behaviour which took them years to get to a managable point.   :-\

If there is a regular pattern, you can pre-empt it to stop any reward for her barking.
Set your alarm for 2.45am - get up, let her out and pop her back to bed without a word.
For a short while, I would also suggest getting up at 5.30am - and just have a chilled out half hour, with no fun, no games, no food, no walk... then embark on your 6am walk.  You can then gradually put the midway through the night visit back - until eventually she can do without it.  And then gradually move your 5.30 back to nearer your normal getting up time.   If she wakes at other times, I'm afraid it's a matter of ignoring her at this stage.

We never had a problem with Honey waking though the night, but she was an early riser... I would get up before she started creating, and just dozed on the sofa with her... I got up gradually later, and now she will sleep through till 7.30 quite happily.  It was horrid getting up really early, but worth it in the long run!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline weenieangel

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »
Hi there - we had this prob with Charley -but he is a 2.5 year old rescue and had a lot of changes to deal with, but my parents bought a DAP plug in ?? We think he was more stressed than needing a pee.....

But it seems to have worked as he now sleeps in until 7 or 7.30am from going to bed about 11pm with no waking in the night at all... they just hear a whine and the tail thumping on the floor in  the morning when he thinks the whole house should wake as he has :)

Charley goes for a walk before he gets his breakfast so he is not praised for waking early with food lol

He does have a lateish walk before bedtime to do his business, and he is fed his 2nd meal at 5.30.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »

DAP plug is a great idea!  :D

Something else which has just occured to me - you say she has an hour's walk at 6am?  At 5 months old, she should really only be doing 25 min walks, as her joints are still developing....  :-\
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Dudleysmum

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »
Hi!!!
All sorted!  A friend suggested taking up the water during the evening and the first night, she slept through, and has done ever since!  I still get up at 5.30 to walk them but it's my choice not Millie's!  I think it was a lot to do with breaking the habit too.  Just for the record, she has full run of downstairs at night, as does Dudley, and that seems to have helped as well.  We still get the odd puddle in the morning but it's less and less frequent now! Phew! Long may it continue!!
Thanks for all the advice.
x
Dudley's Mum