Author Topic: More Working than Show Cockers around here  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Pip895

More Working than Show Cockers around here
« on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Not sure if this is a genetics and breeding question or should be in the general section. :-\  Just out of cutiosity does anyone have data on the relative numbers of working versus show cockers being bread/registered – is it recorded separately? 

When trying to find a local breeder of working cockers I came to the conclusion that there were more show types around and I was searching about for quite a few months before finding a suitable pup and had to travel 1.5hrs. 
When walking with “Saffi” our now 17week old pup we have met 10 cocker spaniels (the third most popular breed after Labs & Retrievers among those we have met) and eight of the cockers have been working types.  I know this is a very small sample but how general is it? – could it be a country/village vs. town/city effect as I get the impression there are more Show types on COL. (I live in a village on the Surrey Hants border next to Alice Holt forest) Maybe is it just a local anomaly or maybe more people with working types like to walk their dogs in the forest – I don’t think any of the dogs I have met actually work, all are pet dogs like Saffi.  :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: More Working than Show Cockers around here
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:38 AM »
I don't know the stats.. I'm quite near you - Peaslake, just south of Guildford so it's country and forests around here too. There is probably about a 50/50 mix of workers and show types in our village and I actually know of just as many show types that are used for beating as workers. Nationally, I would have thought show types are a lot more common as workers have only really become popular in the pet market relatively recently. The pet workers around here are all in family homes with young kids and mum's at home all day and seem to be very happy just getting involved with the chaos of family life andbeing out and about walking & mountain biking - they're actually very suited to it whereas my show type does struggle to keep up a bit sometimes :lol:

As an aside, I've driven from between 2-3 hours for both my show type pups.. Think it's common to travel for 'good' breeders of either type ;)

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline jla

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
(I live in a village on the Surrey Hants border next to Alice Holt forest) Maybe is it just a local anomaly or maybe more people with working types like to walk their dogs in the forest – I don’t think any of the dogs I have met actually work, all are pet dogs like Saffi.  :D

That's a coincidence - so do I!!

I think because we are rural and there are a lot of local shoots etc that it's a geography influence that there are more workers.  I run a local obedience club and interestingly I would say I get more show there probbaly because not a lot of 'pet' homes have workers so they don't come along.

I think that cockers are just registered as that as the KC don't recognise the show and working as two diferrent breeds.

I have a 7 month old orange roan working girl.

Offline Pip895

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:51:56 PM »
I might have been too quick to assume that some of the working cockers were just pet dogs. :embarassed: It could also be that they are just catching on in the pet market. :003:

jla:- There is a working cocker at the Cherry Tree @ Rowledge about the same age as yours - I'm trying to remember if he was orange and white or liver and white - could he be from the same litter as yours?  We usually walk into the forest by St James’s - might see you around! :blink:

Hurtwood
1.5 hrs wasn't too bad but it meant we didn’t get to visit between choosing and picking up.  Were looking forward to Saffi being able to join us on cycle rides through the forest. :lol2:

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:26:59 PM »
I live in a rural location and most of the cockers I meet when out are working type ( and totally gorgeous), I know of one other show cocker nearby who is also a COLer. I also see loads of Springer spaniels and as they do hold shoots locally I wonder if  maybe that has something to do with it. I also see working labs so maybe it is more to do with location. My mum lives nearer to town and I never see working cockers/springers in her neighbourhood.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
I live in a city and see mostly working cockers. However i think this has a lot to do with where i walk them, I tend to do longer more challenging walks.

There are a couple of show cockers at dog training and from what i gather they dont need to walk them as far as i walk my cocker so they're just not out as long so im less likely to bump into them.

Ive also noticed that it tends to be younger people with working cockers, who like me, couldnt fit a bigger dog in their house.

Offline Pip895

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
Sarah - I think you are right it depends on the walking area - I have been trying out a wider range of walks in the last month and one of our new favourites, Frencham little ponds, has a much more even split of Working and show.  I think owners of show cockers are particularly drawn to the nice sandy paths and relative lack of mud!  :005:

I have also discovered that many more of the working types than I supposed are worked or at least go to gundog training.

I think you are also right in that more of the younger owners have working types - not really surprising given the  reported higher energy levels of working cockers.  I also think they may have a bit of a niche among people who want an active dog but who couldn’t fit, or don’t want something the size of say a Retriever. :D