Author Topic: Kennel Club Insurance  (Read 2084 times)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Kennel Club Insurance
« on: February 26, 2010, 04:05:51 PM »
Hi all - if I could have a teeny bit of your advice again I'd be most grateful.

Harvey is on his 6 weeks free insurance with Kennel Club at the mo - and I've signed up for a policy at £24 pm.

I'm not very experienced with insurance - I never insured Riker, and was so very lucky as for all of his 14 years I can count the times he went to the vets with illness on one hand, all minor conditions too. However, I do realise this was quite unique - so I know I must insure Harvey.

Do you know of any other insurer that offers better rates for equivalent cover? Lifetime cover, up to £10,000 per illness, but with £60 excess and 10% of bills...? I also note that they only insure up to 9 years old - is this the same with other insurers?

My worry is that I'm not very good at these things, I'm happy to pay the £24 per month (for the mo it's affordable but of course that could change in a blink of an eye!), but what has rang alarm bells is the 10% and 8 year thang!...

Your fab advice most appreciated!
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline loppylugs

• Site Member
Re: Kennel Club Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:03:37 AM »
I had all mine with pet plan but found them too expensive(i have got 8 cockers)i am now with Sainsburys,£100 excess,£7,500,vets fees,covered for life but from age of 9 i think its same excess but also 10% of bill.I got some really good deals too,the 2 pups are £12 each with £30 shopping vouchers each plus last 3 months free,Tia was £26 with pet plan,it is now £6,i have saved so much,you need to shop around,also want to make sure they will pay vet upfront.i e rather than you pay the vet., then the insurers reimburse you.Sainsburys did win a top award for pet ins.

you havent lived till you,ve owned a cocker

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
May be worth taking a look at http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=68238.0

There was a spreadsheet knocking around in there that might help :)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
if you havent found an alternative yet, try Healthy Pets.  I rang KC to see how much it would be to continue my 6 weeks insurance for my lab puppy - £32 p.m.   I have my cocker, lab and cat insured for that with Healthy pets, and their cover is just as good.

I was horrified with the cost of the KC insurance - why it is so expensive - i thought they were there to encourage responsible ownership - such as insuring your pets!

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »
May be worth taking a look at http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=68238.0

There was a spreadsheet knocking around in there that might help :)

Ooh I'm famous at last!  :005:  :005:

That's a thread I started - if you PM me your email address, I'll send you the spreadsheet. I went with Crufts in the end, who are underwritten by the same company as Kennel Club, but a kind of budget version. Someone later in the thread mentions one that has a very high per month (rather than annual) condition limit - definitely worth looking into.