Author Topic: What is hand stripping?  (Read 93106 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2002, 06:00:19 PM »
yes thanks Michele - much appreciated!  ;)                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2002, 08:13:06 PM »
I don't recall reading this thread at all - I want one of those spratt things! I already have a coat king which Brook loves and it gets out soooooo much hair. Brilliant invention!                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2002, 12:40:14 PM »
my coat king arrived today as well. So excited! Going to give it a bash tonight i think.... wish me luck!  :D                    

Offline Logan

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2002, 02:44:29 PM »
Good luck Mike  ;).

How do you all make your dogs stand still long enough to groom them?  I have a Spratts 76, and Brie just attacks it, rolls on her back and becomes hyper!                    

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2002, 03:36:31 PM »
Hi Logan

Do you put Brie on a table or something while you groom her? It seems to make them much calmer and less likely to play up than if they are on the floor.

My Poppy won't stay still if she's on the floor but is a quiet little angel when I put her on a table. Just make sure the surface is not slippy.

Hope this helps  :)

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2002, 04:34:29 PM »
Absolutely, Fiona :) Never attempt to groom a puppy on the floor - you are on a hiding to nothing as it is too easy for pups to wriggle & squirm & generally get away with murder if they are on the floor :) Always groom on a table, using a rubber car mat or shower mat to make the surface non-slip -you'll be amazed at the difference it will make (it's a lot easier on your back too :))                    
Jane

Anonymous

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2002, 05:06:36 PM »
Hi. Ive been reading all the points re hand stripping etc. I have had my dog clipped the last few times, but I dont like the results very much, he looks like a dalmation!! :- Is it likely that his coat will never be smooth now, its very fluffy on his back towards his tail? I would very much like to try myself, are the comb and the coat king the only things I will need, do i need scissors for his legs etc. if so what type. Will I just be able to use these alone or are these to help with hand stripping at the same time.  He seems to lose a lot of hair but if you try to pull it not very much comes out! Any advice would be really helpful.

I also have problems just brushing him, hes like a lunatic, he acts as if hes having an electric shock :o every time the brush gets an inch near him, but because he doesnt stay still his ears get caught and this makes the whole thing worse because hes more scared. I will try to put him on a table and see if this makes a difference.

I would love to have him looking smart all the time! (By the way he's blue roan)

Thanks

Nicky                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2002, 06:05:59 PM »
Hi Nicky

It is possible to handstrip a Cocker that has been clipped but often it's more difficult, as clipping can make the coat thick & fluffy. You could have a go though - you'll need two pairs of scissors, a normal straight-edged pair for trimming round feet etc & a pair of thinning scissors (one blade with serrated teeth) for thinning out hair on the ears, along the throat, under the tail etc. Then you need a Spaniel comb, a slicker brush and/or a Coat King. You can buy a video on hand stripping a Cocker (available from http://www.doggrooming.uk.com/) & there are 2 sites which might help too, have a look at http://www.turmalin.freeserve.co.uk/Cocker...Show%20Trim.htm & http://pamgair.homestead.com/Howdoyougroomthem.html

HTH

Jane

PS If you do have your dog neutered, handstripping will not generally be possible (have a look at previous threads on this subject)                    
Jane

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2002, 07:15:44 PM »
Great - I was actually going to ask if there was a video of handstripping, as I didnt manage to find much online myself.

Today I used the coat king for the first time, and I'm very impressed. Think I'm going to use all the fur which comes out to make a cushion... you think I'm joking!  :D                    

Offline Logan

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2002, 09:55:07 AM »
Thanks everyone  ;D

I shall try putting the wee monkey on a table.  Would any table do or does it have to be small enough to force her to stand still?                    

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2002, 10:00:00 AM »
I have read this thread with interest as the last three times cooper has been clipped, I think I might like to have a go at doing him myself using these combs. One thing I would like to ask is where you all get your tables from. I obviously can't put him on the kitchen table as we have discouraged him from getting on there for obvious reasons, but I do need something, especially as we only have a shower and it is killing my back when I need to shower him.
Please help :D                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline FionaM

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2002, 10:29:49 AM »
Hi Angela

I don't have a special table. When Poppy was really little I used to sit her on top of her crate. Once she got too heavy for that I started puting her on a sort of chest thing that we have in the living room which isn't that high (about knee height). More recently I have used 2 dining room chairs - 1 for me to sit on and the other one for her to stand on. It doesn't seem to matter what it is I put her on as long as it's not the floor. And sitting down while I brush/clip her is much more comfortable than standing  :)

We only have a shower too and if I can't be bothered killing my back I use a baby bath that I got in Ikea for £2 and have a few saucepans full of water for rinsing.

Grooming time in my house is very glamorous - can you tell  ;D

Fiona                    
Fiona & Poppy :)

Offline Logan

• Site Member
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2002, 10:35:16 AM »
I got that Ikea bath - great isn't it  ;D.

I love bargains!                    

Offline angelad

What is hand stripping?
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2002, 01:19:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice, my table problem is solved as my clever man is going to make us a fiberglass one with removable legs. We did try putting Cooper in the bowl from the kitchen sink once, you should have seen it, we ended up with more water on the floor than in the bowl. What a scream :D Now I settle for the shower its less mess.
How often should I shower the little monster?
Someone told me that sea water is bad for his skin, is this true?                    
Angela & Cooper

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
What is hand stripping?
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2002, 02:22:53 PM »
Hi Angela

My three are always in the sea as we live 5 minutes away.  I haven't noticed any problems with their skin and seems to keep the fleas away and I'd say their coats are in lovely condition.

HTH

Dessie  ;D                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands