Author Topic: How to stop people feeding treats?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
How to stop people feeding treats?
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
We recently had new neighbours move in, which Mole found a little exciting as he hasn't really known anyone to live next door whilst we have had him.

So when they first moved in he used to go and stand at the gate when they came to their garage or car and bark at them. He wouldn't stop as I think he just wasn't used to seeing people out of 'his' gate!

The lady is German and has a lovely 1 year old lab, she seems to have stopped Mole barking by going to the fence and stroking him and Baja..................or so we thought!

It turns out from our friend over the road that she is giving them treats from her pocket, so the boys hear her, going running to the gate barking, she strokes them and gives them treats  :shades:

Now this is fine for Mole but we have been wondering why Baja has been a little off colour the past 3 weeks and has had tummy problems again  :-\ He does have a food intolerance and can only really deal with the Healthy Paws and the very odd fish for dogs treat.

I'm starting to think that what ever she is giving them isn't agreeing with Baja, and thats giving us problems for him again  >:(

So basically what I'm asking is how do we explain to this German lady that she cant feed our dogs treats without sounding like we are being mean horrible neighbours  :huh:

I never see this woman so it will fall to my OH, I just want to try and help him out with how to word it without her thinking we hate her!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: How to stop people feeding treats?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
I would just tell her the truth, that Baja has a stomach problem and can't have anything other than his own food or it makes him ill. I have to do this a lot just now when we meet other dog walkers offering treats as Tilly can't have anything other than her prescription food or cottage cheese and you don't get many folk carrying either of those around with them :lol2:  I just say 'thanks but...' and explain that she's ill and any other food makes her worse, I say it nicely and everyone I've explained it to has been absolutely fine about it. You could say that it's really nice of her to give the boys attention and that's fine cos they obviously like her, but just not to give them anything to eat.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 02:27:21 PM »
Get the OH to give her some of your regular food to 'treat' the boys with explaining that you love the way she is with them but it is making them ill and could she give them some of their normal food instead, easier to say that than, sod off you witch and stop making my dog ill lol
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
And if she doesn't pay attention to what you say you can always walk up and stuff a "Soor ploom" in her mouth and say "That's what you are doing to my dogs without my permission"  :005:
Spaniels In Need

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
Get the OH to give her some of your regular food to 'treat' the boys with explaining that you love the way she is with them but it is making them ill and could she give them some of their normal food instead, easier to say that than, sod off you witch and stop making my dog ill lol

This really made me laugh  :005:

Your right Nicola we just need to explain to her, I need my OH to be standing near the gate when she's in the middle of doing it so that he can 'catch her in the act' They love being outside, but I think they love it even more since she has moved in and is out every morning getting her golf clubs into her car  :005:

Giving her some food of our food would be a good option too  :D

My OH just told me she has asked him to let her dog out on Wednesday as she is going to be out all day, so with any luck he can speak to her then and I might suggest he has a look to see if he can see what treats she is using  ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
As others have said, just be honest give her a small bag of Healthy Paws explaining they are BOTH allergic to a lot of foods  ;)

That way you happy, neighbour happy dogs happy. Sorted! :D
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »
It's nice when neighbours get on, particularly when dogs are involved. So in your situation, I would probably explain the problem to her then offer her a small bags of treats to give expecially to your dogs, and stress that they can't have any other treats. That'll keep her, your dogs and yourself happy.  :D

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:31:08 PM »
My OH spoke to our neighbour this week as he was looking after her dog whilst she was on a golf day.

He explained the situation and she said yes she had been giving them treats but would stop doing so and now just say hello to them. So a good result, and a happy neighbour that she has someone to let her dog out when she needs  :D

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »
Fantastic outcome for all concerned  :D

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
Glad you had a good outcome  :D.

Millie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »
Really glad for you :clapping: Hope you're still getting on after the football today :005:

Wish I had a nice neighbour rather than the evil parasite psycho woman I live next door to (I do say this with very good reason and what I'm about to tell you is just the tip of a very large iceberg!) She's recently started planting her dog mess on our drive because we asked her to consider getting her dog mess taken away by refuse like we do rather than throwing it behind our garden so that the owner of the field thinks it's us not her >:D >:D

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
Really glad for you :clapping: Hope you're still getting on after the football today :005:

Wish I had a nice neighbour rather than the evil parasite psycho woman I live next door to (I do say this with very good reason and what I'm about to tell you is just the tip of a very large iceberg!) She's recently started planting her dog mess on our drive because we asked her to consider getting her dog mess taken away by refuse like we do rather than throwing it behind our garden so that the owner of the field thinks it's us not her >:D >:D

We went to friends for the day so the poor lady next door didn't have to listen to his tears and tantrums  :005:

Thats just awful of your neighbour, think you need photo evidence to show the field owner  :-\