Author Topic: Please remind me why i wanted another puppy  (Read 1240 times)

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Please remind me why i wanted another puppy
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »
First night we had with Darcy i did not sleep waiting for him to start crying, nothing as good as gold :angel:. Second night OMG :o he never stopped crying/howling, tried all i could think of with him in the end it ended up with me on the uncomfortable sofa and him in his create, no way could i slip out of the room quietly, just when i thought he is fast asleep, i tried to get up and go to bed but no off he started again. ::)  I thought Hattie was bad 2 years of waking at any time from 4am, just got her sorted and now this.  Have to say though he is absolutely adorable, he has been so easy to have around, Hattie is getting used to him although there is the odd telling off.  This morning i had him hanging off my dressing gown while trying to take him for wee wees. :005:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Please remind me why i wanted another puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
It's funny when you forget what the puppy stages are like :005:  Odie was my first pup so it was all completely new (and a complete SHOCK :o).  Even my children were a walk in the park compared to puppydom :shades:  But, as you know, even though it's sometimes soul destroying, emotional and at times annoying, it doesn't last forever.  I'd never imagine saying those words after my emotional start with Odie but it's true!

And I bet Darcy is too cute for words :luv:  That's why you got another pup :005:  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:36 AM »
Could it be you are a glutton for punishment (and puppy antics  :005: )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:33:49 PM »
Could it be you are a glutton for punishment (and puppy antics  :005: )

yes i think that is it. I must admit i am totally smitten by him. :luv: and i love watching him play with Hattie :blink:
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
I loved the puppy time. Its absolutely petrifying, you'll want to cry most days but I loved every min of it.  :luv:

Offline obese999

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
wot am i letting myself in for ::) i go to choose my choc roan on sat to take hm mid sept i have a new baby n think a cocker pup will b the icing on the cake :005:can anyone give me advice wot to put in the crate at night? im not using pads the breeder sed just go to the garden area i have fenced off straight from the off ;)thanx

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »
wot am i letting myself in for ::) i go to choose my choc roan on sat to take hm mid sept i have a new baby n think a cocker pup will b the icing on the cake :005:can anyone give me advice wot to put in the crate at night? im not using pads the breeder sed just go to the garden area i have fenced off straight from the off ;)thanx

A new baby and a puppy - you must be mad  :o :o   :005:

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
I know, I was just thinking the same thing :o  Odie was my first puppy and I had a nightmare first 11 weeks with Separation Anxiety and major toileting problems and I couldn't imagine ever dealing with it with a new baby too!  I waited until my girls were 5 and 6 years old (and at school so I could devote my time to the pup).  Saying that, I think I was in the minority having such problems, most people only suffer the usual puppy problems (well documented on numerous threads on here).  And lots of members have brought up puppies and young babies/children with little or no problems (I think :005:). 

Welcome, by the way!  Lesley  ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
can anyone give me advice wot to put in the crate at night?

The baby?  ;)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »
can anyone give me advice wot to put in the crate at night?

The baby?  ;)

:005: :005: :005:

Pup bed, snugglepad if you are using one, puppy pads for wees, blanket / toys . I wouldn't put water in, as pups tend to like to paddle  ;)
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
I've had three pups and trust me - you think every time you have the makings of a vicious animal from Hell on your hands. But I'm EXTREMELY glad Tali sleeps through as Keli did. I can muddle through with most things except sleep deprivation  :005:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »
It's funny when you forget what the puppy stages are like :005:  Odie was my first pup so it was all completely new (and a complete SHOCK :o).  Even my children were a walk in the park compared to puppydom :shades:  But, as you know, even though it's sometimes soul destroying, emotional and at times annoying, it doesn't last forever.  I'd never imagine saying those words after my emotional start with Odie but it's true!

And I bet Darcy is too cute for words :luv:  That's why you got another pup :005:  Lesley

Couldn't have put it better myself  :005: I was constantly saying that children are less work than puppies when Chloe first came...she reduced me to tears on many occasions  >:(

obese999...I hope you've got mega amounts of patience and time  :005: Personally I don't agree with your breeder about not using pads, especially during the night. They were a necessary part of Chloe's housetraining, and within less than 3 weeks, I would get up in the morning and the pads were unsoiled

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Couldn't have put it better myself  :005: I was constantly saying that children are less work than puppies when Chloe first came...she reduced me to tears on many occasions  >:(

So glad it isn't just me that cried through the puppy times. I've suddenly gone all nervous about getting our pup on Saturday as I'm remembering how devilish Griffin was on occasion.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline mooching

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
I put a puppy pad in Alfie's crate on his first night - he tore it up! I didn't bother again - and he didn't wee in his crate either!! I just took him out of his crate to the garden as soon as he whined.

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 11:43:55 PM »
We never used pads or newspaper in Alfies crate, just blankets and a bed, we just got up in the middle of the night for the first few nights to let him out but he very soon went all night. He has never ever cried during the night, we had to set an alarm so we could go and wake him up. He has never messed in his crate either- very easy :005: we'd have another Alfie in a flash :005:.
Fingers crossed you're nights will become easier waggytails :luv: :D xxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7