Author Topic: CAN YOU BREED SHOW TYPE & WORKING TYPE COCKER SPANIELS  (Read 22882 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Re: CAN YOU BREED SHOW TYPE & WORKING TYPE COCKER SPANIELS
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:50 AM »
If your an active family or person then your dog is going to be quite active and energetic but if your relaxed and dont really do much then your dog generally has the same traits.

Working type dogs are like they are because of the way they are reared.

If this is true why arent show cockers used for working? Why does the difference even exsit?

Its a very simplistic view to think that it is just the actions of the breeder and owner that affect the dog energy levels.  My workers have significantly more energy, more hunt drive and more active minds than show cockers Ive met. Yes your actions can calm a dog and they can equally hype it up but very often you cant fight the genetics.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »
Working type dogs are like they are because of the way they are reared. The owners of these dogs say they are good with children and they are because they spend a very limited amount of time with the children.

As far as I know working cockers that are fit for purpose, have the right temperament, have the drive and have the level of biddability required don't just 'happen' when you breed from any old working cocker?   Breeders spend years getting the right kind of dog for the job!  Mine was reared by a gamekeeper in his kitchen and had contact with their 4 children for the first 8 weeks of their lives ::) I'm not really sure in your investigations how many breeders you actually visited?

And how does crossing the 2 strains benefit either strain? 

I think you are looking at it from a purely pet owner point of view - I would NEVER buy a working x show if I wanted a working strain cocker (to work it - people still do work their dogs) as I could not guarantee I would get the working ability I wanted from a cross.

The people that breed working x show do it only breed sell as pets and these breeders are far less likely to do all the health tests (which should include hip scoring for the working side as HD is coming up more and more)  so your thoughts that the strain would be healthier I think is untrue.  I'd really like to see evidence of a working x show breeder that does every single health test  :shades:

And not all working cockers fit your ideal of 'pets' - some have too high a drive and for an owner who doesn't have the time or knowledge to harness their working ability they can be very difficult to manage.  We've had a couple on the board this year that have had to be rehomed :'(

I would say to anyone who was wanting a pet to look at a show cocker first  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
If your an active family or person then your dog is going to be quite active and energetic but if your relaxed and dont really do much then your dog generally has the same traits.

Working type dogs are like they are because of the way they are reared. The owners of these dogs say they are good with children and they are because they spend a very limited amount of time with the children.

I am sorry, but I disagree with this.  I have 4 cockers, one is only 1/4 worker:3/4 show but still has a much higher working drive than the others.  The two young show type tear round like loons BUT lack the drive of Lou.  If Lou isn't with us, they still run around but haven't a clue why they are doing it  ::)

I don't see any significant difference in the rearing for the first 8 weeks of their lives and haven't done anything different in how they are managed as part of the household here.

I can only conclude therefore, that genetically the working part of Lou makes him different to the others.  I do agree that being a calm household does help them settle though, all 4 are relaxed on the whole at home, in fact Lou is probably the quietest in the house.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Obviously we looked into this when purchasing our pup and we found there wasnt a big difference temperament wise with regards to the two strains. I feel this is very much down to the individual owners and breeders.

Sorry but I really couldn't disagree with you more ph34r There is more to temperament and personality than how a puppy is raised, much much more! Genetics plays a big role in personality traits and I do hope new owners reading this don't think "Oh, it will be ok to get a working Cocker - it will be laid back and won't want to do much because that's what I'm like". They'd be in for a big shock that's for sure! Same with your statement that Working Cockers are good with children because they only spend a very limited time with them? I'm afraid I really don't understand how limited exposure to children ensures a child-friendly dog and why this only applies to Working Cockers and not show-type dogs :huh:

If you're interested in learning more about how genetics affect canine personality traits & temperament, there are books out there such as Scott and Fuller's "Genetics And The Social Behaviour of Dogs" (a bit heavy but worth reading if this is something that interests you)

Jane

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
Hiya,
I'm considering breeding my 2 year old working type cocker spaniel with my neighbours show type cocker spaniel.  Both are KC registered.  Can you breed the two different types?

3 words then an explanation.

Don't do it!

There are numerous litters on the "market" at the moment many working many show and many a "mix" of both, plus a large number of dogs desperate for a rescue space.  Unless you have all possible 10 or more pups with homes lined up - forget it.  Unless you are willing to accept that there are a large number of cockers going through rescue every year, which several of your girl's pups may add to.  I should add here that there are also many cockers PTS by owners who "can't cope" that we only hear about by sheer chance.   :-\  Can you handle that knowledge?

Also there are costs involved with veterinary fees if anything goes wrong.

Of the cockers we get through rescue most are workers or mixed, and here I will disagree most strongly with Staglemon.  Working cockers DO have a very different nature to show in many, many cases.  They can be very driven, have high energy levels and in some cases are definitely NOT suited to the average pet home as they can cause mayhem if they get bored.

A dog and bitch of any breed often get on very well - that is possibly the worst reason to breed them. 

The only acceptable reasons to me are to improve the breed, which in this case will not happen as you have two very different strains of the breed, or to restore a line which is in danger of being "lost".  With the proviso that both animals have all the health tests for their breed before mating.

I strongly suggest that anyone thinking of breeding reads Jane's post above and takes her advice.   ;)
Spaniels In Need

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
Does anyone know where the heartbreaking story of the working cocker pup that had to be rehomed is? It was up in Scotland I think, Cockertime blues or crazy cocker gang I think knew the litter and helped in the process, they had a sibling? I think it would make good reading for Staglemon.

This is a good thread too http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=76526.0
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »
Does anyone know where the heartbreaking story of the working cocker pup that had to be rehomed is? It was up in Scotland I think, Cockertime blues or crazy cocker gang I think knew the litter and helped in the process, they had a sibling? I think it would make good reading for Staglemon.

Do you mean Daisy? I fostered her and Crazy Cocker Gang's Seth is her litter brother. Daisy's owners couldn't cope with her or meet her needs, they are good, responsible dog owners, but she was just not suited to a family pet lifestyle (as I think many working Cockers aren't, including my own). She's a very active, driven pup and she's now in a working home (with Cath) where she is being trained as a gundog and she is thriving. This is the original thread: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=75719.0

I don't have time to post much just now but needless to say I totally agree with what Jaspersmum, Helen, Jane, Sarah, Fifer etc. have said. Daisy's story is a pretty good example of what they are all saying and it's by no means the only one.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
I know i am a bit late posting here but I wanted to put in my 5 pence.
I have never owned a cocker untill now but whilst we were looking the big debate came up of show type versus working type. Obviously we looked into this when purchasing our pup and we found there wasnt a big difference temperament wise with regards to the two strains. I feel this is very much down to the individual owners and breeders.

So to summarise, I don't really see how mixing the two strains can be detrimental to the breed. People say they breed cockers to help the breeed yet all they do if bang out show type or working type dogs.

Both types of breeders say to the prespective buyer stay away from the other, surely this is more detrimental to the breed?

I see no reason why the two "different" strains cannot be mixed so long as they have both been DNA tested.
Obviously if you want to show your dog at crufts you will need all show characteristics.

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more with this post, it's also an extremely worrying post to read from someone that's just bought a working cocker puppy :-\ I also don't really understand the DNA testing reference - there are specific conditions that should be tested for in both parents from kidney disease to eye problems to hip issues and these can't be done with a 'DNA' test.

I know a number of working cockers that live with children, and in the right home (an active, experienced working type dog home) working cockers are wonderful with children - even when they spend a lot of time with them. As an aside, I have a show cocker that I have to be more careful with around children than most of the working types I know... but I've also had a show cocker who was absolutely bomb proof around children.

Of course you can hype dogs up or calm them down depending on how you live with them and handle them, but within reason. I've owned two show types one had a very high working drive, was naturally very very busy and energetic and was difficult to mange but none the less a wonderful dog (this was the one that was great with kids).. the other which whilst he has his moments, is generally very laid back and has a hunt drive but nothing that 'normal' walks can't satisfy (very different to my other dog). Interestingly, it's this dog that I have to be a bit careful with around children or anyone that isn't good with dogs. Both dogs were raised in the same way in the same family (with young children), so their differences are clearly not nurture and most definitely down to nature and their genetics.

You say that there wasn't a big difference in temperament between the strains when you researched buying a pup... did you see these dogs in their home or out on walks? How much time did you spend with them? A working cocker in a home environment being introduced to new people isn't likely to display very different characteristics to a show cocker, you are only likely to see the differences when you start to train, walk them and most importantly manage living with them for the rest of their lives....

I don't know the history, temperament or lines of the pup you're buying obviously, but I very much hope it is suitable for your lifestyle.. there are lots of 'working' cockers out there that have been bred for money and without the true nature of the breed kept in mind and some of these still carry very high hunt/working drives but lack the biddable nature and focus that a well bred working dog should also have, and these are the dogs sold to the pet market that can be very difficult to manage (even in active homes) and often end up in rescue.

I've also not come across good breeders telling buyers to stay away from show or working types in the way you've described... why would they? A good breeder is breeding their dogs for a specific type of owner and will make sure that their pups go to homes that are suitable for the pups, it's only breeders breeding (often badly) for money that will try and sway a buyer without properly discussing what they want from their dog and the suitability of the strain and litter.. :-\ If you've experienced a 'sales' tactic similar to what you've described from a breeder, I would stay well away.

I'm not having a go or being controversial for the sake of it, but I had to reply to your post as I do feel it's been written without any real experience of the breed and a naivety that could be dangerous for prospective puppy buyers reading this board. There are numerous experienced show and working type owners on this board that have owned or bred cockers, both working and show types, that would strongly disagree with what you've posted I'm afraid. Just as there are numerous sad tales of owners having serious problems or not being able to handle the puppies they've been misguidedly sold, which backs up the reality of the general differences between the two strains, the reasons two strains are bred and why it's a bad idea to mix breed show and working strains.... :-\

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline mooching

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
Obviously we looked into this when purchasing our pup and we found there wasnt a big difference temperament wise with regards to the two strains.

I'm curious, just how much did you look into this? How much time, for example, have you spent with working cockers, and in what type of environment? When we were investigating this for ourselves, we contacted a local breeder of workers and she invited us over to her place. What we did when we got there was spend half an hour with her dogs at her home, and then went for a 2 hr walk with three of her dogs, and a visitor's dog, on the local heathland.  I'm not exaggerating when I saw that I was awestruck by their drive and level of activity. That gave us a terrific insight into the temperament and energy levels of workers and left me in no doubt as to how different they were to show cockers.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
Just to add, I think 'temperament' is the wrong thing to be differentiating workers and show types, their temperaments should be fairly similar as in good tempered, merry, enthusiastic and friendly - it's energy levels, work and hunt drives that mainly differentiate them...

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Ian B

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 08:13:04 PM »
We have a show type cocker (Misty) and she has a very high hunt drive and will bog off at the slightest moments inattention from us and is a very unhappy dog if we make her walk to heel when she is off lead. She NEEDS to run and hunt, we know this and so we allow her the freedom to do what she needs. The longest time we have let her run unrested is 3 hours (not in the summer months) and she is still not ready to slow down so she has to go on-lead for a while. The only thing that will override her desire to run and hunt unchecked is a tennis ball launcher and a pocket full of tennis balls. (It's still running and hunting but this time we provide the focus and the boundary.)
Our other two cockers have different temperments, Dale is an investigator and will run around a bit and will quite often be out of sight but he's never very far away - he will also half-heartedly chase the ball launcher. Jarvis rarely goes more than 10 metres from us and almost never goes out of sight and is totally uninterested in the ball launcher.
Dale and Jarvis are half-brothers.

We went to a COL meet with her where some members brought their workers along and compared to them Misty looked like she was out for a quiet morning stroll.
I know there is no way we could ever consider taking on a young working cocker because if there was any chance they would develop the energy levels and hunt drive of those we met then in my opinion we would not be providing the dog with the home it needs.
Misty, Cooper.
(George, Jarvis & Dale at the Bridge)

Offline JohnW

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »
In years gone by, show strain cockers were used on occasion by working kennels of old and trialers probably to keep breed conformation resemblance, as its common knowledge nearly all " if not all" working cockers have had other breeds quietly introduced to increase the working drive. As far as I am aware the most decorated field trial champion (Spaniel) to date was a half show/half working cocker Speckle of Ardoon, she won the most of ANY Spaniel breed in championships and I may be wrong I don't think its been matched since. And if everyone who looks at their pedigrees will most likely see a dog called  wenffrd Dai bach (Most of us have that name) was her gt gt grandson, plus many other famous champion and winners and even the famous Hedley Millington of Nancarrow kennels used her offspring too it appears by looking at his lines. But unless you are breeding a cross show/working dog for a particular reason, it doesn't really add anything for your own kennel lines if you are wanting to start a line for yourself or any real purpose for the breed.

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
I am so glad you are seeking advice and support over your question and doing your research.

I agree whole heartedly with what so many other col'ers have already said e.g Jaspersmum, Helen, Jane, Sarah, Fifer.

Breeding is specialist and there are sadly too many working and show strain, not to mention cross cockers and spaniels in general, needing re-homing through no falut of there own  :-\ Personally, I feel there is no need to cross the two strains of cockers as I don't see this benefiting either strain whatsoever.

Do you mean Daisy? I fostered her and Crazy Cocker Gang's Seth is her litter brother. Daisy's owners couldn't cope with her or meet her needs, they are good, responsible dog owners, but she was just not suited to a family pet lifestyle (as I think many working Cockers aren't, including my own). She's a very active, driven pup and she's now in a working home (with Cath) where she is being trained as a gundog and she is thriving. This is the original thread: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=75719.0

I don't have time to post much just now but needless to say I totally agree with what Jaspersmum, Helen, Jane, Sarah, Fifer etc. have said. Daisy's story is a pretty good example of what they are all saying and it's by no means the only one.

Yes, Daisy now named Caoimhe's story is a good example, and as Nicola has said she is a very driven worker and needs this kind of environment, due to her breeding.

What would you be hoping to get from breeding a show and a working cocker  :huh: there is no telling how much of a working drive or show qualities the pups would have, therefore, what kind of homes/environment would you be looking for them?

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
I'll close this now as I don't think the OP has been back here since she asked her question a few weeks ago but hopefully the advice given will be useful to her and to others reading this thread at a later date.
Jane