Author Topic: 3 Year Old Male Cocker - Jealousy Issues  (Read 897 times)

Offline MonkeyB

3 Year Old Male Cocker - Jealousy Issues
« on: November 07, 2010, 08:13:29 AM »
We have a lovely 3 yr old male black cocker who is a big part of our family. He hasn't been neutered - largely because he hasn't had any behavioural problems / no humpiness etc! But he is starting to get more barky  with other dogs on our walks - some dogs he'll completely ignore - even if they're having a go at him - others he'll have a right shout at.

Here's the most worrying thing though. We're concerned about jealousy. We're expecting our first baby in April and in the past he hasn't got on with my mums dog - we think due to jealousy. (Cant bear us patting / stroking him).

Over the weekend our dog carer had him and despite playing beautifully with another dog for a couple of days, when she fussed the other dog, he got very jealous and flew at the other dog. And all hell broke loose!

Also another dog carer ( a new person) tried to walk him a few weeks ago and despite having been introduced to her, he wouldn't have a bar of it.

He's v good with our friends children - but our dog carer and now us is worried about how he'll react to our baby. She's recommending having him neutered and doing some training with a local trainer on jealousy issues. (Apparently she uses training dogs for training activity - which the dog carer thinks would be useful for him).

We always hoped our cocker would be a lovely companion for our baby to grow up with - now we're concerned. Sorry for the long post, but wondered if any other owners had experienced a similar problem?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: 3 Year Old Male Cocker - Jealousy Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »

I wouldn't recommend getting him neutered... this kind of behaviour is unlikely to be caused by hormones, and neutering could well make things worse...  :-\

I do agree training is the way forward, and if the trainer who has been recommended to you uses stooge dogs to help that sounds great.  Make sure the trainer uses positive methods, as any harsh training could make things worse in the long run.

Just to reassure you, the fact that he displays guarding behaviour to other dogs (guarding his most precious resource - you) doesn't mean he will react the same way to your baby.  Our Honey can be difficult around some dogs, but has been great with our new baby - there's an element of jealousy, but not displayed in an inappropriate manner at all!  ;)
To prepare your boy for the arrival of your baby, make sure he is not in too much of a set routine - babies disrupt routines, and he needs to be prepared for this.  Honey gets her main walk every morning, but that can be leaving at 8am or 11am, which means it doesn't matter too much if Isobel and I have a very slow morning.  Also make sure your dog is happy to spend time apart from you - it sounds like this might be a challenge so get baby gates etc up NOW and get him used to gradually spending time relaxing on his own. 

As far as the guarding behaviour, you might want to look at the book "click to calm" which has some great clicker exercises to help reactions to other dogs...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
Here are a couple of websites you might want to look at:

http://www.petfriendlyhouse.com/information/Children_Pets/preparing_pet_for_babys_arrival.aspx   (check out the menu on the right, lots of good articles!)

http://www.dogsandstorks.com/  (you don't have to buy the dvd if you don't want, lots of good links, especially the body language )

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline MonkeyB

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
Thanks for your comments and advice. Will look into all the articles / advice given.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »
Ooops, sounds like another black lad to join mine and the rest on Top Barks dissertation (see his General Discussion post)! 
Yes some have issues like yours, but I find calling mine into another room with  a clicker /whistle and rewarding him, breaks the tension he is under.  My family couldn't understand the logic for ages, but I am rewarding him for coming away. No good getting cross with him or he gets more worried.
 My vet said don't neuter  because it would make him more fearful and potentially aggressive.
You will need to teach other people how to divert a situation and use calming techniques. At least with a baby you will be in total charge of how they are allowed to relate, and set the rules on keeping food and toys away from temptation. You will need a baby gate ,preferably two, to keep the pair of them apart anyway.
I would think he will be great, they are very sensitive to crying and laughing noises, and he will maybe think the new arrival is a weird puppy !
Well done for posting, you will get lots of help here.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.