Author Topic: Bensons limping  (Read 373 times)

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

Bensons limping
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
Bensons limping on his right front leg,started today about seven o clock,he was OK after his walk,then had a sleep and when he woke up he just started limping.Its not a bad limp and does not stop him jumping and running about but it seams worse after he has been resting.Anybody got any ideas and do you think I should take him to the vets.
Also he is very thin and I carnt get him to put any weight on,do you think the two could be connected.Hes always got loads of energy,just very thin.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Bensons limping
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:45:30 PM »
From what you've said it sounds like he's not in much pain with the limp, so I'd be inclined to wait and see how he is tomorrow. It might stiffen up through the night when he's asleep so could appear worse first thing tomorrow, but could then ease off after a while. Hopefully it's nothing worse than a pulled muscle or a sprain and will come good after a couple of days. I think I'd keep him quiet over the weekend if you can.

I can't think of any obvious connection between him being thin and then going lame today. How old is he and what do you feed him on? When I had my first 2 Cockers together they both had the same exercise and same food but one was inclined to put weight on and the other was skinny until he was about 6 or 7 years old, so they can vary a lot.

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
Thanks :D ,he was out on a hunt all day yesterday,then his walks today and when he plays with Cloe he does tend to go in with left and right hooks like a boxer :005:, so it is possable he may of strained something.
He is forteen months old and has always been a thin dog but for the last three or four weeks he has been on a raw diet and has gone even thinner.His coat has improved and he smells nice and still has bundles of energy,but hes just so thin and poops about six times every walk.
Cloe our other cocker seams to be thriving on it tho,she plays a lot more with Benson,is more tolerant of other dogs,has more energy and has put weight on.
So I was just thinking perhaps hes having some problem digesting the raw food and it may have some connection with his sudden limp :dunno:

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
Benson was fine this mourning ,no sign of a limp at all so I thought all was well and took him out for some light training and he was OK,then took him and cloe out for a good run and he was running around without any trace of a limp.I drove home and when I got them out of the car Bensons limp had come back only now its much worse and hes not putting any weight on it.Hes hobbling around on three legs.
Why does it always happen on a Saturday night,I don't no what to do. :huh:.Should I take him to the out of hours vet or leave it until Monday.I can't see anything wrong with his paw and his leg looks and feels OK and he lets me bend it.