Author Topic: KC to restrict number of litters to 4 per bitch  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
KC to restrict number of litters to 4 per bitch
« on: November 22, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3426/23/5/3

Glad to see this although of course bad breeders will still get round it by either not registering some litters or registering litters to a different bitch than the actual dam. Sends out a positive message though - can never understand why people feel the need for 5 or 6 litters from one bitch >:(
Jane

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: KC to restrict number of litters to 4 per bitch
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
yes sadly there will always be those that find a way around it >:(

Offline Pip895

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
Excellent - about time. 

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »
One step in the right direction.  Brilliant  :D

Offline bella15

• Site Member
  • Cody
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
Brilliant news  :D

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
The Kennel Club is also going to restrict C-sections, they will not register more than 2 litters from 1 bitch if done by C-section.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3428/pg_dtl_art_news/pg_hdr_art/pg_ftr_art

The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »
The Kennel Club is also going to restrict C-sections, they will not register more than 2 litters from 1 bitch if done by C-section.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3428/pg_dtl_art_news/pg_hdr_art/pg_ftr_art

That's a shame - I would like it to be only one c section and then no further litters

Great news that they are starting to limit the number of litters, however have to agree that some people will try to find a way around it, unfortunately there are always those that will try

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
That's a shame - I would like it to be only one c section and then no further litters

Why's that Cazza? We have only had 2 c-sections in over 20 years of breeding and the first one was caused by a stuck puppy who would not have come out without assistance. Our vet advised us there was no reason not to breed again from this girl and so we did try again (we generally only have 2 litters from a bitch anyway) and she had her second and last litter without any difficulty at all. Not all c-sections are due to issues of conformation or genetic problems.
Jane

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
Glad to see this although of course bad breeders will still get round it by either not registering some litters or registering litters to a different bitch than the actual dam.

Or by out crossing to create some weird designer breed!!  >:(  Which of course allows them to breed from bitches on consecutive seasons getting round the law as well as the KC directive.

I agree though it is a first step in the right direction, hopefully the logbook/ID/DNA for breeding bitches will get round the problem of pups from one bitch being registered to other dams for the "larger" breeders.
Spaniels In Need

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:15:11 PM »

Why's that Cazza? We have only had 2 c-sections in over 20 years of breeding and the first one was caused by a stuck puppy who would not have come out without assistance. Our vet advised us there was no reason not to breed again from this girl and so we did try again (we generally only have 2 litters from a bitch anyway) and she had her second and last litter without any difficulty at all. Not all c-sections are due to issues of conformation or genetic problems.

I wasn't meaning anything like that Jane - I was meaning that if a female had to have a c section then I just think it is a shame to put them thro having another (having to put them thro another GA is the main thing I was thinking - sorry it didn't come across as I meant in the first post  :embarassed: )

It's just a shame that there are people out there that will let a female have litter after litter and C section after c section ( I know you are not one of them )

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:15:25 AM »
That is good news- well done to the kc for doing something good for a change although why this cant come into force straight away instead of 2012 is a shame.
I am also really pleased that accredited breeders now must health test both parents. The kc could make me even happier by insisting that all breeders who want to kc reg their pups have to health test- now that would be another step in the right direction.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »
I am also really pleased that accredited breeders now must health test both parents. The kc could make me even happier by insisting that all breeders who want to kc reg their pups have to health test- now that would be another step in the right direction.

Yes think we talked about that a while back. I just wish they would insist on good results - there's nothing to stop KCABs from registering litters where parents have horrendous hip scores or where both are carriers of PRA or both goniodysgenesis affected for example. Health testing is all fine and good but not if breeders take no notice of the results :(

ETA Here's the previous thread: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=74565.0

Jane