Author Topic: leaving your pregnant dog  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
leaving your pregnant dog
« on: November 15, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
Hi, I'm wondering at what point in the pregnancy that you should not leave your birch alone, even for an hour or two

I'm trying to plan a few activities with my daughter that would involve being away from the house for a couple of hours, and I want to get the timings right to reduce any risks

Many thanks in advance
Phil

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
Re: leaving your pregnant dog
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:01:31 PM »
Hi Phil, I help with my brother and sil when they have a dog due to whelp. Up to 10 days before she is never left alone, I am one on a rota.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »
Hi Phil I really don't know the answer but not long ago there was a very upsetting post on COL from someone who left her pregnant dog thinking it was safe to do so, and with tragic consequences  :'(

I will search for it and let you know
jann

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
I guess I'm lucky, but I have never left a pregnant bitch alone as there is always somebody at home, even if it's one of my daughters (ages 18 - 22 years) at least they can ring if an emergency.

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »
Thanks, I've booked from the 3rd to the 15th off as holiday so someone can be with her and the otue can take my daughter out somewhere nice.

Out of interest, what do people do at a night time, do they sleep with the dogs downstairs?
Cheers
phil

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
From about a week to 10 days before they are due I sleep down stairs on the settee.

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »
Thanks Sharon, are the dogs in the lounge too, as mine have their own room just off the kitchen, it was the pantry.

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »
Hi Phil, my first litter arrived 10 days early so I would be very very careful of leaving your girly alone after this stage.Best wishes and good luck with everything!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline wales07

• Site Member
  • Honey - rest in peace my precious
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »
I'm lucky in that mine are hardly ever alone as there is always someone here but when pregnant i wouldn't dream of leaving a girl on her own during at least the last 2 weeks.
A pregnant girl usually sleeps in the next room with the baby gate up and doors open so that i can dive out of bed at the very first sign of birth but i have found that you can usually tell when they are building up to the big moment and then its time to sleep on the air bed by the side of the basket so as to not miss a single thing. I spend the first 2 weeks sleeping right beside the whelping box and even during the day mum and pups are not even left alone for a second. My girls find it reassuring to have constant company and help.
Good luck  :D I bet your excited :D

Offline amandaC

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Hello, I was just about to post to be very careful after my tragedy. I now would never for one minute leave my girls unattended in the last few weeks. Watch like a hawk and arrange a dog sitter even if you pop out for 1/2 hour it really isn't worth the risk . If you can't sleep on a sofabed, airbed etc the maybe you could have a baby monitor next to your dogs bed and next to your bed or take the whelping box to your bedroom so you can sleep in your bed.

Good luck x
Amanda, Amber, Tallulah and Rubydoo x