Author Topic: Most robust toys!  (Read 2304 times)

Offline burnysbird

• Born 07/05/2010
    • Zoom Click Photography
Most robust toys!
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:03 PM »
Hiya,

Since Sizzles has had her grown up teeth, any toy which has any kind of material lasts about 5 minutes before it is ruined! She got a fluffy duck for Christmas and it didn't take long for the feet to be chewed off...

She never used to do it but has taken to shredding everything (including her ropes).

Has anyone found any good, robust toys that she isn't going to shred so quickly?! She has a couple of kongs but doesn't really play with them...

Thanks!
Katie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: Most robust toys!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
I've had the same problem with Odie, he has always destroyed all toys (esp cuddly ones) and I struggled finding ones robust enough for him.  He has a Kong but as you say, he's never been very interested in it.  I've found some tough toys on both Ebay and Amazon.  I'm not sure if they are OK for under 1 year olds though :huh:  I'm going to treat Odie to some in the New Year!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Giggly-Dental-Dumbell-Mint/dp/B000OGOO7U/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1NN3EH77F89S7&colid=CKTF1AOJRIFO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Pet-Rubber-Bone-8/dp/B003Q8ZWO2/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IJQEVEK9JMFUO&colid=CKTF1AOJRIFO

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-HARD-RUBBER-DOG-BALL-TOUGH-STRONG-MEDIUM-/250730251322?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3a60b0043a

The ball I've just bought at Pets at Home today for £3 so cheaper than Ebay in this case and I use one when I exercise a 1 year Rottie and she hasn't chewed it yet!

Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
Hi, I have a JRT and daschsund, as well as a new 3yr cocker.

I use small black kongs filled with treats or naturediet - then freeze it, or one of the best chew toys I have managed to find are nylabone dental dinosaurs!. Difficult to find in the UK, I have just had two order replacements from USA, but they have lasted well over six months, and that is really good going with my boys!!

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »
Ebony is a "serial killer" of stuffed or fluffy toys. However these http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/skinneeez-stuffing-free-dog-toys-15859-0.html have lasted for the last 2 months so far, normally if they last 48 hrs they are doing well.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:01 AM »
Hard rubber toys are always good, as other have suggested and also kongs.  I also find these quite good for chewers and they last for ages.

http://www.dog-online.co.uk/p800472/Marrow_Bone_Nylon_Dog_Chew_Medium/product_info.html

Roly is quite destructive with soft toys, however just recently some toys have been remaining in tact  :o  Whenever he has a new soft toy and it looks like he's going to destuff it I have been removing it from him (more to stop the mess than any other reason).  But he seems to have learned that he can't keep them if he chews them too much and has changed his playing habits and now mostly plays quite nicely with them.  Unfortunatley there are still some casualties  :D

Their new toy box has caused some confusion though (soft toy hugging a basket), but it seems to have survived the last week!  Will post a picture later.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:36:57 AM »
Can't do links on this phone, but Tali has had a rubber tyre since being a tiny tot. It's especially for dogs and I got mine at our local pet shop. It's very tough. Saying that though, Tali doesn't destroy things. However, he did rip sheepy and little bunny with his small teeth and, sorry Lesley,one of the ears parted company on the toy you sent during play. I need my sewing kit me thinks  ;)

Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »
Well, I did think soft toys maybe wouldn't last long Mel, it's usually 5-10 mins in our house so I don't buy Odie anymore >:(
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
Can't do links on this phone, but Tali has had a rubber tyre since being a tiny tot. It's especially for dogs and I got mine at our local pet shop. It's very tough. Saying that though, Tali doesn't destroy things. However, he did rip sheepy and little bunny with his small teeth and, sorry Lesley,one of the ears parted company on the toy you sent during play. I need my sewing kit me thinks  ;)

Is it on a rope, as I have something similar and the dogs love it.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
No Karen, Tali's one is just a tyre.

@Lesley. He has tons of soft toys and none usually get ripped, I think he and brother were playing tug and an ear came off. But I've never had him shredding soft toys or getting the stuffing out. It'll be as good as new when the ear is sewn back on  ;)
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
I wish Odie was as sensible as Tali with soft toys!

Offline jakesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »
Ebony is a "serial killer" of stuffed or fluffy toys. However these http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/skinneeez-stuffing-free-dog-toys-15859-0.html have lasted for the last 2 months so far, normally if they last 48 hrs they are doing well.

These look quite good. Jake is the same, although he's quite happy to carry them around for months after he has 'killed' them.

On a similar note, I have to watch pillows like a hawk and haven't had cushions on my sofa since he was a pup as they seem to him, to be 'prey' - there to be killed  :005:

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
Same problem here Katie! Freddie used to love a squeaky leopard I got from ebay but from 6 months of age he, too, has destroyed cuddly/fabric/stuffed toys. He has Kong Wubbas, although he will chew the "tails" off if they are left lying around so they get put away once the game is over. The best thing he has had is a yellow and black figure of 8 rope chewy/tugger from pets at home from the Ruff and Tuff range. Can't see it online but they have them in Abingdon. If you do a search under toys, as I have done before now, there are lots of good suggestions in other threads too.  ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline grracee

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »

I have to agree and would definately recommend these. The skinneeez toys are fab and my two have had a couple and not managed to destroy them, whereas with other toys they are normally put in the bin within a day! >:D :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
I haven't tried Alfie on the skinneez toys, but, just looking at them, I imagine he'd have the nose and paws gnawed off within minutes, and also have gnawed off the tail.  :shades: