Author Topic: 18 month old teenager. Agility or gun dog training?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Sprinkles

18 month old teenager. Agility or gun dog training?
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
Brody is either good as gold or a nightmare. He has a sense of...

....."I'll do what I want when I want and come back when I'm good and ready. However you may have to wait a while as I know where you are even though you have no clue where I am! If there's a bird along the way you'll hear me screeching at the top of my doggy voice yet I will still ignore your whistle and livercake! In the meantime I will pull like a horse, zig zag in front of you to trip you up and bark at shadows and reflections in the garden! By the way thanks for all the treat's and those odd little clicks I get along the way. I'll behave beautifully every so often just to appease you then once again do what I like! Oh and by the way I will look like butter wouldn't melt at all other times and have an adoring public along the way"  >:D >:D >:D

Soooooo onto my question. In order to get some control here which would benefit us more? Gun dog training or Agility?   :huh:
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: 18 month old teenager. Agility or gun dog training?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Well sounds just like Selby, and I can add to that I will bark as much as I want in the Car, and nothing can stop me >:D  They are just lovely, I think!!!!! ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
his screeching and barking at birds may prevent would not endear him to many gundog trainers  :shades:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:03:23 AM »
his screeching and barking at birds may prevent would not endear him to many gundog trainers  :shades:

;) but agility is great fun and good for general training too, all 3 of mine enjoy it  :D
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
If you can find a fun gundog class he would probably love it  :D  I have tried both with Coco (to a very low standard  :005: ) and she has loved both and she and I have both gained  ;)  They are both training that will require Brody to use his brain so I would do either - depends what you can find locally and what you fancy doing yourself  ;)

As Helen says, he may not be too popular in a proper gundog class - I have a similar problem, Coco gets so excited she barked her head off in class until it was her turn to do her thing  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
I would say any training would help really to mentally stimulate your busy boy.......dogs that are more mentally stimulated to tend chill out better the rest of the time, many dogs need more than just 'exercise'  - go for it....you will see a difference I am sure ;)

Offline harveyroan

• little harvey
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
I would say any training would help really to mentally stimulate your busy boy.......dogs that are more mentally stimulated to tend chill out better the rest of the time, many dogs need more than just 'exercise'  - go for it....you will see a difference I am sure ;)

I agree with this 20-30mins proper training is better than a 2 hour walk of mindless running around. These working spainels need stimulating

Offline Sprinkles

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Thanks everyone. I have found someone who was "out on a shoot!!" when I called and has since called back. He doesn't believe in type of training involving the things I've read about and hate (nose smacking, hitting etc!!!) and has a free slot tomorrow afternoon! I'll let you know how I get on!
Jo slave to the Cocker! ;)

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
look forward to hearing about it :blink:
Julie

Offline black taz

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
sounds like Taz when he was younger.  We did gundog training but unfortunately i didnt do enough research first and the trainer was from hell, so that actually did us more harm than good - however we had some 1-2-1 sessions with an excellent trainer last year and started to our house in order.  We do agility and both love it - i have found that he is much more focused on me when we do agility than at other times. 

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
I think you would be wise to do something about his recall before looking into agility. Dogs cant go any further than the puppy class at our group unless their recall is spot on. Everything after the very early stages of agility is off lead and a dog tearing round the course for 10 mins can really hinder a class.  ph34r

I would definately recomend gun dog training. I wish Id done more gun dog training with my dogs in the period between 6 months and a year. Ive now had a few 1 to 1 gun dog classes now as well as done lots of training round the park and Ive seen a vast improvement at agility as a result. I always found waits practice rather boring at agility as they teach it in a boring fashion, but our gun dog trainer has given us lots of advice and methods of improving the steadyness of our dog which were much more interesting.

The rock solid stays, left and right ques are invalueable to agility as well as the expereince of being off lead round other dogs and still focusing on you and being confident to work at a distance. I havent found anything that clashes particularly.