Author Topic: How long should you wait between litters?  (Read 14829 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
How long should you wait between litters?
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:02:22 AM »
Hi,

Last year I was looking for an "& tan" pup.  I have him now and he is gorgeous, but one of the breeders who I had my name down with had a litter last May, june july time (can't remember exactly but it was around that time). 

I just had a look on that breeders website to see if there were any pics of the pups from the litter and noticed the same bitch is due another litter this week!  :o

Surely that's not leaving enough time between litters.  I thought you were meant to leave at least time for one season in between?  She must have been bred again as soon as her next season started  >:D  :'(

I'm so glad I didn't have a pup from her but that poor bitch must be shattered and she's only young, she was only just old enough when she had the first litter!

This isn't a BYB or a puppy farm so I'm so shocked!

Is this type of breeding allowed with the kennel club? 

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: How long should you wait between litters?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
There are some breeders who think nothing of breeding from a bitch just 6 months after she's had a litter  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
The Kennel Club do not accept registrations for puppies born within 12 months of the last litter for that particular bitch.

I have known of a bitch bred "back to back" whose previous litter was just 6 months old when the next litter arrived.  >:(  Personally I find that abhorrent!
Spaniels In Need

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »
The Kennel Club do not accept registrations for puppies born within 12 months of the last litter for that particular bitch.

Only if the breeder is a licenced breeder otherwise they will accept registrations for 2 litters born within 12 months. The licenced breeder bit is to comply with the law - the same legal restraints don't apply to breeders who aren't deemed to be carrying on a "dog breeding business" (ie having less than 5 litters a year) Bit of a loophole really :-\
Jane

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:41 PM »

Only if the breeder is a licenced breeder otherwise they will accept registrations for 2 litters born within 12 months. The licenced breeder bit is to comply with the law - the same legal restraints don't apply to breeders who aren't deemed to be carrying on a "dog breeding business" (ie having less than 5 litters a year) Bit of a loophole really :-\

Oh no, that's terrible!  No bitch should have to have 2 litters in a row like that!  If it's not ok for licensed breeders to do it then why should it be ok for anyone else?!?!  :huh:

Would she then be able to have 2 litters next year or is there something to make sure she at least has a break for a while?
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:30:07 PM »
I might be wrong but I think a bitch can have 6 litters
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
Would she then be able to have 2 litters next year or is there something to make sure she at least has a break for a while?

Nothing to stop her really unless she's a breed club member as the Breed Council Code of Ethics says that "No bitches should be mated at more than two out of three successive seasons and never without regard to the wellbeing of the bitch"
Jane

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »

That's changing soon - it will be a maximum of 4 litters from next year I think.
Jane

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »

That's changing soon - it will be a maximum of 4 litters from next year I think.
I really really hope so, but i expect there will be ways around it for some breeders  :'(
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
Just more evidence that the Kennel Club isn't that bothered about the welfare of dogs???
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
Just more evidence that the Kennel Club isn't that bothered about the welfare of dogs???

If the Kennel Club were more stringent on the registering of litters, puppy farms would be out of business. If they changed their rules on registering perhaps there would not be the poor things in rescue.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »

If the Kennel Club were more stringent on the registering of litters, puppy farms would be out of business. If they changed their rules on registering perhaps there would not be the poor things in rescue.

I totally agree(good on you Eve)...That would sort them out...

No dowt they would find away around it like the dogs that come in from Ireland(with docked tails)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »

Far fewer puppy farms use the KC to register puppies these days - there are cheaper alternative registries with fewer restrictions which they use. It's easy to blame the KC for bad breeders but the fact is if people did not buy from these awful breeders, they would soon go out of business. The sale of puppies from pet stores, puppy supermarkets and other 3rd party dealers generates huge profits and as long as people buy puppies from such places, puppy farms will thrive >:(

Jane

Offline _jac_

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »
Firstly I would say that back to back litters are not something I would do, or condone in normal circumstances.

1 occasion a b.t.b litter may be acceptable  would be if the bitch had a singleton pup to raise.  I would not do it, but raising 1 is not hard on a fit healthy girl.

I read an article recently where a vet ( not a uk one) was actually stating that it is better for a bitch to have litters back to back and then be spayed, rather than drag out litters over several years.

Wish I could find it as I would post it for you to read, it made sense from a uterine health point of view, but as I said at the start of this waffly post, not something I could do to my girls. To me it is morally wrong.

Will search for that article.....

If you want a better dog, be a better owner.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »

Far fewer puppy farms use the KC to register puppies these days - there are cheaper alternative registries with fewer restrictions which they use. It's easy to blame the KC for bad breeders but the fact is if people did not buy from these awful breeders, they would soon go out of business. The sale of puppies from pet stores, puppy supermarkets and other 3rd party dealers generates huge profits and as long as people buy puppies from such places, puppy farms will thrive >:(

I to also agree most strongley as Jane s post says above..As i have said befor in other post...Some ones buying from thease from awful breeders...But No one likes to own up and (admit it  >:( )

Gemma..Cindy And peggy