Author Topic: Useless stud dog  (Read 14144 times)

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
Useless stud dog
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
My boy is 17 months old, unproven, he has a phenomenal pedigree and I have tried to use him at stud. I will say that he is fully health tested and is PRA and FN clear and I do check potential mates. Unfortunately he seems very disinterested in "strange" girls who are ready for mating.
He does show a healthy interest in my girls (Bichons who I do not want him to mate) ( I do not do "designer"dogs)
Help!!!!!!
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Useless stud dog
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:12:23 PM »
Is it possible that the girls just aren't quite ready when they are presented to him and he senses this? Do you check yourself if the girls are ready? Do you stay with them and try to help things along?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline louisedi

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
I got the same problem with my young dog 23mths old, he not intrested in other girls, but when his mother in season he cried the house down,
Ran him with a bitch in full season for 3 days nothing, I ended up using is Uncle, will try him again.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
 Thank you for your comment, the girl was taken straight form my boy to another stud dog and they were tied within minutes. He is very much a "mummies boy" and I have tried being there and removing myself from the area but nothing works. :'(

Offline louisedi

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
yeh mine is aswell

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
I've never used a dog of mine at stud, but I can think of a few extremely top winning dog's that just aren't keen on passing on their genes.  ;) :dunno:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »
I've never used a dog of mine at stud, but I can think of a few extremely top winning dog's that just aren't keen on passing on their genes.  ;) :dunno:

Very true!

Some boys do take a lot longer than others to get the idea - it helps if they will let you or an experienced stud handler "assist" them but sometimes it's just a case of being very patient and hoping one day it all clicks in place.
Jane

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »

Very true!

Some boys do take a lot longer than others to get the idea - it helps if they will let you or an experienced stud handler "assist" them but sometimes it's just a case of being very patient and hoping one day it all clicks in place.

He has got the idea as he has been VERY interested in my Bichon girl who is on day 7 at the moment. He is just not interested in "strangers"

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:17:54 AM »
He has got the idea as he has been VERY interested in my Bichon girl who is on day 7 at the moment. He is just not interested in "strangers"

Yes that's what I meant - most dogs will be interested in the bitches they know and live with, it's "outside" dogs that can take time. Inexperienced dogs can be intimidated by bitches they don't know. There is no easy solution but if you can find an experienced stud handler, that might be your best bet.
Jane

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:10 AM »
I know nothing about stud dogs etc but have recently been researching Breeding etc & read Zinc supplements can help, or stud dog formula target from fit and fertile. May be worth googling!
Good luck!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Awww I hope he doesn't read COL, mind you saying that about 15 years ago we bought a dog and bitch hoping to get them mated, but he NEVER showed any signs of interest in my girl or any other girl that was in season, so we came to the conclusion he just didn't like girls  ;)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
A lady i know tried to get her stunning show boy to mate for many years & eventually when he was almost 8 years old he pleasantly surprised them  :shades: ;)  He was obviously a very late starter!  :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Going to try my boy again today :-\ The girl is going to stay with us for a couple of days so that may help. 2 of my Bichons are now in season and he spent yesterday with his nose to the ground and marking everywhere, could be a good sign  :huh:

Offline louisedi

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »
Paws crossed for you, regards Louise

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
Interesting thread, will be keen to know how it ends.

Eve