Author Topic: Purchase price for your dog question for policies  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Purchase price for your dog question for policies
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
I've just had my insurance renewal in for Odie and it's gone up from £180 to £214 with no claims.  I've done some quotes and they are coming up even more expensive than this for other companies and I was wondering what was affecting this.  My SIL mentioned it was because I was putting the purchase price down as £650 so I've had requotes stating £150 purchase price and it's reduced the price massively. 

My question is, do the insurers mind if I only put £150 down (and not actual cost of £650)?  I realise that they'd only pay out £150 if the worst happened but getting money back if I've lost my pet would be the last thing on my mind!  Thanks, Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Carol09

Re: Purchase price for your dog question for policies
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »
I wouldn't have thought they would mind at all as that's all they'll have to pay out.  I know you say your not worried about the money upon death but watch out for the excess because you'll probably pay that as well.  Having said all that I am not absolutley sure about the answer, so you may need to phone the insurers and ask.  :D

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
I think you have to be careful about not telling the truth to insurance companies.
I understand your reasoning but if they found out ( though it seems unlikely they would) they may then refuse to pay out any claims.  ;)
Have you tried shopping around for quotes?  My girls are insured with Sainsburys and they cost me just under £25 a month for both.  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
Yes, I've been on a ton of sites and they are all a bit steep when I put a high purchase price in, but all reasonable quotes when I reduce this price.  I'd have been happy to pay what I did last year to stay with Argos Platinum so I may give them a ring and try negotiating :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
I phoned to add my second dog to our insurance policy yesterday. The girl suggested I apply for a quote on line as there was currently a discount. By the time I had completed the exercise on line, due to the online only discount, it cost the same for two dogs as it had before for the one!

The other company I had one month free insurance with from our breeder had quoted me more for each of the dogs on their own and the cover wasn't half as good!! Good insurance company though.

I'd say shop around or look out for an online deal! At worse you could use a new quote to try and negotiate with your current insurer  ;)

My dogs cost the same or a little more than yours and the year's cover for them both is £182 at www.eandl.co.uk sadly that will no doubt go up next year without the discount but you could always get a quote from them before you make a final decision.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »
E&L are notoriously bad for not paying out for claims so just be very careful when taking out a policy with them - and have a back up plan for paying large vet bills  >:(
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:12:51 AM »
i noticed that if you put higher purchase costs the price goes up, Ella was adopted privately for free and i put that down and the price reduced by quite a bit as i remember, i dont think the insurance would question it unless you tried to claim for a new pup IYSWIM
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
That's the question I'm asking really, I'm not bothered about any money back if the worst happens. 

Surely the insurance company wouldn't question that I'm not asking hundreds of pounds 'compensation'?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »
That's the question I'm asking really, I'm not bothered about any money back if the worst happens. 

Surely the insurance company wouldn't question that I'm not asking hundreds of pounds 'compensation'?

They may do if you have put on a previous application elsewhere the true price i.e. your current policy.     If you have never had insurance before for Odie then wouldn't make any difference though as they'd never know how much you had paid.   

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
E&L are notoriously bad for not paying out for claims so just be very careful when taking out a policy with them - and have a back up plan for paying large vet bills  >:(

:-\ :-\ is that right??? oh dear, have just requested a claim form for Jerry's prostate treatment.
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:39:39 AM »

:-\ :-\ is that right??? oh dear, have just requested a claim form for Jerry's prostate treatment.

I also had E&L and they were fine in paying out.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »

They were the only insurance company that the vet schools in Glasgow or Edinburgh wouldn't claim directly from - maybe it was just claims for really large bills that were an issue but they were obviously stung one too many times from them.

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »

They were the only insurance company that the vet schools in Glasgow or Edinburgh wouldn't claim directly from - maybe it was just claims for really large bills that were an issue but they were obviously stung one too many times from them.

Hope I never have to find out! 
At least someone has had a good experience. I've read the policy carefully and no insurance companies like paying out but on the face of it seemed okay. It's all so complicated :huh:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
E&L have a very bad rep.

AFAIK you can put the purchase price at whatever you want. I certainly did with horse insurance. Again, it may be worth a phone call to confirm?

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Yes, I think I'll have to ring Argos up to ask, especially as their quote when stating £150 for purchase price was very reasonable.