Author Topic: Purchase price for your dog question for policies  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Carol09

Re: Purchase price for your dog question for policies
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »
Yes, I think I'll have to ring Argos up to ask, especially as their quote when stating £150 for purchase price was very reasonable.

Let us know the outcome.  I do think it would be stupid if it's a higher price just because of that's how much you paid for your Cocker. >:(

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
I had a follow up call from More Than last night after I asked for a quote from them.  I asked about purchase price query and they said they had no problems if I stated whatever I wanted for it, just as long as I knew that is what they paid out, come the worst so that is good to know. 

I still hope Argos will be open to negotiation with my current policy but will let you all know when I ring (he's not due for renewal till 5 May).  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Jeannie

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
I phoned Argos this morning - changing my policy to them - and asked about the purchase price question.  The person I spoke to was very helpful, I said I wouldn't want to claim anything for the death of my dog, I know it would be too emotional and I wouldn't want to - they said I could put zero for the purchase price if I wanted, they really don't mind.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 04:47:45 PM »
Thanks for that Jeannie, I'm going to ring them up soon to renew ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
I had a follow up call from More Than last night after I asked for a quote from them.  I asked about purchase price query and they said they had no problems if I stated whatever I wanted for it, just as long as I knew that is what they paid out, come the worst so that is good to know. 

I still hope Argos will be open to negotiation with my current policy but will let you all know when I ring (he's not due for renewal till 5 May).  Lesley

Be careful with More Than, I speak from experience when I say they may tell you one thing, but actually do something else.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
Hi, just to update.  I rang and renewed my Argos Platinum policy.  I added a voluntary excess to bring it up to £115 excess which brought the quote to £197 which wasn't bad for the highest package they do.  I also left his purchase price at £650 although reducing this WOULD have reduced the quote.  :D

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Having had to claim back the purchase price of Jessie after she was PTS, we had to provide a receipt signed and dated by the breeder....they would only pay out the value on the receipt! Our receipt was the balance we had left to pay as we had paid a deposit when we secured her....so we got £75 less than we paid for her....however we didn't care as we just missed her  :'(

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
Have a look at seaangler post on insurance. I would just put £240 away in an account and after another year you have near £500 to play with should things go wrong.

I had the same problem as you for my two girls and it was costing nearly £500 per annum. When at the vet for cuts on Poppy I could have claimed but the bill was about £100 and I had to pay £50 of that anyway. If I claimed the insurance would have gone up I suppose.

When I really needed it insurance didn't cover anyway. Lucy was having a litter and having trouble. As always it was during the night and at a weekend and my vets don't cover that now.  So it was of to the emergency vet and that's £100 first please. And them she had her op and thats £650. Because it was my decision to breed from her insurance didn't cover. I suppose that was fair enough.

But I now put away the £500.00 to cover vets bills and in theory I should be better of. Ha!

Good luck.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
I wouldn't be happy doing that as I wouldn't be covered for any liability.  If Odie happened to cause an accident, the entire family would be bankrupt if they sued :-\  So, for peace of mind, I paid up front on my credit card and it's now sorted and paid for, for another year ;)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 03:04:29 PM »
Although we've taken out insurance for Milly we've also started a regular savings account as part of a "belt and braces" approach.

When it comes to public liability, although pet insurance will cover this it's also available as a benefit of membership from the Dogs Trust.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/membership/faq/default.aspx#faq269995

So, for £12-50 annual membership (or £25 for youngsters) you get a million of public liability cover along with other membership benefits.

Worth having a look at especially as you'll be supporting a doggie charity as well.

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »
I forgot to say join Dogs Trust and that covers liability too.

Good luck with Odie. How very strange that happens to be my middle name. Its a very common name in the Shetlands where some of my family originated from. My gran was  from a family of 11 children. I don't think tv was invented then. Ha,ha.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »
I forgot to say join Dogs Trust and that covers liability too.

Good luck with Odie. How very strange that happens to be my middle name. Its a very common name in the Shetlands where some of my family originated from. My gran was  from a family of 11 children. I don't think tv was invented then. Ha,ha.

Isn't that funny!!  I just know it from Garfield the cat cartoons/films :005:  Needless to say, I've never come across another Odie - maybe I will if I visit Scotland (my sister has just moved to the West of Scotland)  ;)

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Poor sis, she got short straw then. I live in West too. Only dogs called Odie here. You could be in highlands, west coast, Glasgow, Edinburgh city in an hour from anywhwere. But If you get lost you could be in jakie land and then take a sword with you. Ha,ha just kidding.

Storm here today and I took girls to Chaterhault for walk. I was blown of walkway twice. Lucy and me glad to get back to car. Mad Poppy just loved it.

Good luck with Odie.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:45 PM »

When it comes to public liability, although pet insurance will cover this it's also available as a benefit of membership from the Dogs Trust.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/membership/faq/default.aspx#faq269995

Most of my pet insurance "nouse" is from horse insurance (a real shark pit). Re. public liability insurance - you will probably find that you are actually covered by your household insurance. I found this out when someone claimed agianst me vis a vis a horse thing, and as I was a member of the BHS was confident I was covered for PL. I was! But all they did was track down my household insurers at the time (Direct Line) and pass it on to them. So, £50 p/a wasted as I was already covered by my household insurance!

As for the rest, I have tended to put a minimum value of the cost of the animal as vet insurance is what it's all about. Lots of people proclaim the "put x away a month and it's much cheaper than insurance" argument, but I'd only recommend that for people who have plenty of spare cash "just in case". Within the first 4 months of having Jeff we spent approx £1,500 on him (covered by insurance), and have had similar (proportionately higher) costs with horses. I also had to make the hearbreaking decision to have my cat pts following a rta a few years ago because he wasn't insured and I couldn't afford an op when the prognosis was poor  :'(  Most of our pets haven't needed treatment, but the disproportionately high vet fees v insurance premiums have reassured me that, for peace of mind alone, insurance is a must for per owners.

Offline rogermanley

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »
This discussion seems to have dried up. However, as I am currently seeking renewal information I have read the whole Forum history on the topic.

Many, many years ago i was an insurance professional. I remember from my student days that the law of insurance contract is quite clear, any ABSOLUTELY ANY false statement made when applying for insurance cover can render the whole policy void.

It does not matter that you do not intend to claim, it does not matter that you may be happy to settle for a lesser sum, it does not matter that some agent or ill informed employee of an insurance company tells you it is OK to put in a false figure....when push comes to shove they can hold the policy void. It may not be for a claim at death it could be at any time.

So you need to think carefully.

Roger Manley
Roger Manley