Author Topic: 2 Dogs Constantly Fighting - Long Term Issues??  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Bella & Poppy

2 Dogs Constantly Fighting - Long Term Issues??
« on: June 15, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
Hi,

Bella is 1 and Poppy is 10 weeks old and all they do is constantly play fight and bite

I am concerned that when Poppy meets other dogs she will just bite and play..........am i right to be concerned?

Has anyone else had this issue with 2 dogs and what did they do to prevent it?

Offline jessandme

Re: 2 Dogs Constantly Fighting - Long Term Issues??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
My Jess is 13 months old, and recently we've had a guest puppy in the household, an 11 week old working cocker pup.  They play all the time!  There are lots of fierce faces and wild eyed snarling and growling, with rough and tumble all around the garden and the house - the little one is constantly trying to hang on to Jess's lip or ear or tail, and she tells him off if he hurts her.  She never hurts him.  They roll around together, they chase each other, and then they lie down together and get their breath back before they start all over again.

It is just how puppies play.  The little one is learning bite inhibition much faster than Jess did, because Jess is teaching him.  And they are both so happy.

You mention biting - has any of it drawn blood?  And is the little one coming back for more, or is she hiding and trying to get away?  If both of them are happy and there are waggy tails, then you've got nothing to worry about.  When Poppy meets other dogs, she will have learned from Bella what is appropriate behaviour, and will be polite.  (Hopefully!  :005:  )

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry.   Quinn and Indie have always played like this, sounds absolutely horrendous and they sound like they are really going for it but its just playing.

Quinn has impeccable manners with other dogs he meets and never ever plays the way he does with Indie with anyone else.    He's a gentleman when out and a thug at home.   :lol:

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
I wouldnt worry too much, you'll prob just fine your pup is much more confident that other pups her age.

if you are concerned you could try introducing your pup to other vacinated dogs so that she gets a mix of experiences before shes allowed out.

Offline Joyce

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
I have litter brother & sister that play like this, also a 20 mth & 19mth bitches that are always having ruff & tumble, they have great fun it's natural as long as blood isn't drawn it fine. 

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:55:42 AM »
Hi,

I have had the same concerns as you. We brought Daisy home three weeks ago, when she was nine weeks and Dylan (her biological older brother) was sixteen months. Although I was really apprehensive about introducing them to eachother, they just started playing immediately and haven't really stopped! Like your two, they growl and moan at eachother and, sometimes, look as if they really want to kill eachother - but as soon as one of them makes even the smallest yelping sound, they both stop and the other one looks really concerned.

I still have moments when I worry - particularly relating to the difference in size when they're rolling around - but Dylan is always very careful and Daisy usually is on top anyway  :005:

My only concern now really is that Dylan sometimes looks at me as if to say 'Mum, why did you choose such a manic puppy?' - he just doesn't get any peace any more!  ph34r

The next big test will come when Daisy can go out next week and meet other dogs - also at puppy training. Hopefully she won't assume that all puppies are up for fighting in the way Dylan is!
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »
I agree with the others unless the pup is becoming scared and hiding then all of this will be doing her the world of good and teaching her wonderful dog to dog skills ;) My last pup was really full on with other pups and my older dog and it did worry me a bit too as he never seemed to back off and got very aggressive :shades: but now, he's got the best adult dog to dog skills of the three dogs I've had :luv:

My current two are 4 and 6 now and they still occasionally give it hell (usually at 4pm for consistency :005:) and they've almost developed a 'ballet' out of it now. There is lots of posturing and arched necks and very real sounding growls and warning barks but if either of them says stop the other relaxes instantly and backs off :luv: Considering one of my dogs is a big muscle bound (rehomed) Weimaraner 3 times the size and weight of the other which is smaller sized cocker with horribly sharp teeth who can get his whole head in the Weim's mouth there genuinely has never been a 'real' problem and I love watching them duffing each other up as they enjoy it so much too :lol: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
Although Taz and Kira play fight a lot, Kira imparticularly (19 months) rarely play fights with other dogs.  She will run around with them, but not the playfight bit, so i wouldnt be too concerned.

Since i had Kira, Taz has seemed to loose interest in other dogs as well.  I think they just find each other entertainment enough :luv:

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 07:56:38 AM »
My two play fight a lot as well.
I agree that the puppy had learned bite inhibition much more quickly than either of our other two did.

this hasn't translated into him wanting to play fight with every dog he meets though