Author Topic: help with the evenings!  (Read 1227 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
help with the evenings!
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:21 PM »
Pepper has started being really demanding of me in the evenings.  >:D He sits at my feet and barks and paws at me until  i sit on the floor and play with him. I tried to compromise and put his doggy rug next to me on the settee and this worked for a night or two. He has now gone back to barking at my feet. I feel like I am being bossed about by him,but I have tried ignoring him and "time out" but neither works Any ideas?

Offline PennyB

Re: help with the evenings!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
I agree you don't want top feel bossed about by him but could it also be that he feels he's not getting enough brain/physical exercise - he is a young dog and he may just not be tired.

That aside what about giving his evening meal in the form of a kong so he takes longer to eat his food and its more difficult than usual
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

sarahR

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
Ozzie was like this for a while in the evening we play hide and seek around the house for 10 to 20 minutes hiding her favourite toy and getting her to find it starting off easy then moving into different room whilst she is waiting in another.  We show her the toy hide to start with on a chair or behind a settee  and ask her to find  also give her hand directions so she has to look at you to  go into right direction then when she has got the idea  hide it under blanket etc. Praise really well when she has found. It normally wears her out. Another night use a different toy and name it ie find ball . Now its better weather we do the same in the garden.
Hope this helps.

Offline JulieM

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Sympathies- we have been experiencing this too!

It does seem to be getting better- we've started taking her a walk later on so she's more tired just before her witching hour, we've also introduced some bones for this time. We've also started putting her in the utility for a few minutes when she does it and a bit of time out does seem to calm her down a bit.

Hope someone sends lots of advice/ tips that I can steal too  ;)

Good luck!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
One thing to mention is that it isn't a good idea to give in to the barking. Try and start a game before he barks that way he doesn't get it into his head that if he barks at you he gets what he wants.  :005:

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions. It is nice to hear your ideas. I think games may be a good way to go as he has lots of walks so maybe he needs to do some hunting games . Also I think you are right about  starting before he barks for the game.I need to feel more in control!  ;)

Offline dawn

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
Ours is 6 months old and is terrible at night time, just when you want to relax!

A bone has helped a lot, Henry will chew that for an hour so at least its a little peace!

I think we should try hunting games as well, and maybe buy a nina game to try. He gets plenty of exercise, two hours off leash every day! And doggy play dates on tuesdays, and puppy class on Wednesday!

Let me know what works for you!

dawn x

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I thought a lot about if Pepper was just not tired or bored, but he gets lots of attention and exersize. Actually I have been reading the thread about teaching a "settle" with great interest and have found the short time out and ignoring  has helped a  ( time out about 2 or 3 mins). I have made a bed area in the living room and he is put there initially for time out if he gets over demanding. I prefer this to putting him in another room but do that if he is really hyper. He is still only a puppy and I think he is maybe just wanting lots of atention. For Pepper (and i know every dog is different) I think he almost needs someone to tell him when to stop.He is a bit better now, but that could be famous last words!!!! ;)

Offline tallulah0710

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
Hi

Where do you do most of your playing with Pepper? Is it in the living room? Just wondered if he has made an association with the living room being a room where fun and exciting things happen rather than an area to relax and chill out. Just a thought  :D

Clare

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
That's a good thought. We collected Pepper today from the Kennels as we have been away. He took himself into his crate fro a rest(in another room) and the rest of the time we have been playing in the living room. Now i think about it during the day we tend to play or sit with him and then he happily sleeps in his crate at night and if I am out. Maybe we need some quiet times in here..thanks. ;)