Author Topic: clicker training update  (Read 2016 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
clicker training update
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
Has any one used clicker training...i have been reading about it and feel a bit overwhelmed. ;)
    Update
Today I used a clicker for the first time!!! I have had it for a few days and have just kept reading this forum and links to help. I started by just click and treat. he loved that! He was immediatly switched on.He sat beautifully  glued to me staring. i wasn't sure what to do then but we practised a few "sits" and  "downs" which he did really well. I wasn't sure how to end each as I felt he would have sat there all day waiting for the next click! I just called him across the room and started again....but anyway,so far so good! Thanks for the support. :D :D

Offline Nicky

Re: clicker training
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »
Yes, we clicker train and it works a treat for us, I would defiantly recommend it  ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
I've used it from day one and would certainly recommend it. When you get stuck in its not complicated at all, its a very easy concept that works brilliantly

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35:55 PM »
Yes I use clicker training - neither me or Brodie are very good at this training thing :005: but she picks things up a lot quicker with the clicker. I did find it a bit overwhelming at first but once I got the hang of it it was so easy. I really recommend it :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »
Did you all use a trainer to help you? I have found a site which lets you download am lot of instructions for free. One of the things that puzzels me is how you encourage your dog to do the behaviour in the first place. I read that you don't for example say "sit " and then reward the dog but you catch him doing a  "sit " and reward the behaviour and eventually give it a name. How does that work??? Sorry to be thick but I would really like to try it but would like to get it right from the start...I think I have cofused pepper enough by some of my attempts at training in the past and he does actually seem quite willing at the moment (he is 9 months).

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
I wouldn't think you need a trainer once you get the idea. You lure the dog into the behaviour with treats, i.e. for a sit put the treat near the dogs nose and lift it up slowly, usually results in a sit. The moment the dogs bottom hits the floor you click, which marks the exact behaviour you are trying to teach. And then they receive the treat. Once you have the dog doing the behaviour reliably then you add the word as they do it

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »
I use a clicker on my 8 week old Blue Roan Show Type puppy called Betsy.  When she does a wee and poopoos on the puppy training pad I use my clicker once, she comes over to me and sits down and then I give her a treat.  She now is used to it.  I will have to teach her to sit next.

It's very easy to use.  :D
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline karen488

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
Do you then drop the treat and just reward with a click?

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
I use the clicker once and then I give Betsy her treat
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »
Thanks , I may go and buy a clicker and try. :D Are they all the same, I have seen them pets at home. Can you use them outside...for example can the dog hear them for re-call on the beach?

Offline goldblend90

• Donator
  • Harley Boy looking good !!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
I have used a clicker with both my dogs for various behaviours.  One of the key things to get right with a clicker is to click at the right time.  The easiest way to learn this is to get someone to bounce a tennis ball, and then for you to click when the ball hits the ground, this is easier said than done, but gets you clicking at the right time.

As for are they all the same, no, Mayhem is sound sensitive and therefore has a volume controlled one, whereas Harley just has a bog standard one!

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Thanks , I may go and buy a clicker and try. :D Are they all the same, I have seen them pets at home. Can you use them outside...for example can the dog hear them for re-call on the beach?

In the instance of recall you wouldn't click until the dog had reached you, that marks the behaviour you are asking for, you wouldn't click to request the recall. You would call your dog to you as normal, then click and treat when they reach you. It will improve recall over time as the dog knows what to expect when it gets back to you  :blink:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:14:02 PM »
I do a little bit of clicker training ;) :005:, what are you struggling with?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline JulieM

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
Hi, it's really simple (and effective in our experience) once you get the hang of it, but it might be worth getting someone to show you what to do. We were taught at our puppy classes and it helped not to make unintentional mistakes whilst you get the gist of it. We use ours for a whole variety of training now and is it's really helped.

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »
Yes, we clicker train and it works a treat for us, I would defiantly recommend it  ;)

defiantly? Wow you must feel strongly! ;)