Author Topic: clicker training update  (Read 2015 times)

Offline tallulah0710

Re: clicker training
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
I LOVE using the clicker with Poppy  :lol2:, started when she was 8 weeks old. It's great for teaching a complex things like 'circles' (figure of 8 through my legs) as you can break them down into smaller parts rather than trying to teach the whole thing at once.

Once you go clicker you never go back ha ha ha ha! Good luck.

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 07:43:13 AM »
Nope - voice commands and hand signals - ok these were posted on wall and everyone has to do same but to be honest now Toby seems to understand the voice command and a vague flap of the hand! :005:

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
 :DThanks so much for all the replies ,it is so helpful. Another question! Can you use a clicker to stop your dog doing things e.g. jumping up or chasing the cat!!!!! Maybe i am being a bit ambitious here!!!!! :005:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
Do you then drop the treat and just reward with a click?

No

A click is ALWAYS followed by a reward.  The click is a marker that the dog is doing something you approve of, which is what earns the reward.  Unless a click is always followed by the reward the dog will not work to acheive clicks...  ;)

Once a behaviour is learned you would fade the clicker use, and just use praise as reinforcement, alongside occassional rewards to keep the behaviour solid.

You can use a clicker to reduce undesirable behaviour, by getting the click in when they are not doing the undesirable behaviour.... so the millisecond he looks at the cat, but before he launches into a chase, click and treat.  Then he will begin to associate looking at the cat with a treat, and chase behaviour will diminish.  It doesn't matter what the dog is doing when you treat, so even if you click and he goes on to chase, he will still need the treat - it takes time, but eventually he will hear the click and look to you for the treat rather than chasing!!!
Likewise with jumping up - click and treat him keeping all 4 paws on the floor.

The very basic rules to remember with the clicker.

Click the behaviour you like - either by capturing natural behaviours, or luring if the dog is not offering a behaviour.
Click is always followed by reward - even if you have accidentally clicked.
You are looking to be click/treating very frequently at first - if you aren't getting about 15 clicks in within a minute (ideally more) you need to take it back a stage and give the dog a little more help.
Don't put verbal commands in until the behaviour is being offered reliably.
Clicker is NOT a remote control - don't use it to get attention!

The click basically says "I really like what you are doing right this second and I'm going to give you a really yummy treat (or a great game) just so you know what a really clever dog you are" - but it says all that in the split second they are doing the right thing, whereas even saying "Good Boy" can take too long if the dog is a really busy one!!
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
I do a little bit of clicker training ;) :005:, what are you struggling with?
And me occasionally...  ;)

There is actually a wonderful online clicker training course that sends daily lessons which are very easy to understand and follow. Their ebook is great too.

http://www.canisclickertraining.com/newsletter/

It says 7 days, but is actually a bit longer than that.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
I will definately try the approach with the cat...I have tried everything so it has got to be an improvement!
Lurcher girl, With the site mentioned do you get one lesson at a time,is the idea to break things down for you?Also  when you finish do you get asked to join things and get e-mails from them.It sounds like it could be very helpful. ;)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
Yes, you get one lesson a day. I don't think you get emails and other stuff from them, though they do have an ebook to buy (which I find excellent too).

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 05:11:17 PM »
Thanks, I think I will try them. :D

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »
You can train all sorts of things with the clicker - I am a fan. I think you might find it helpful to find a local trainer that clicker trains and get them to show you as it can be a bit tricky at first to master the timing. It's really easy once you get going, but it can help to have a guiding hand and a second pair of eyes to begin with. We covered this in puppy class a few weeks ago, and the pups I was working with took to it very well (the owners too!). :blink:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Hi Mary,

he first thing you need to do, is charge the clicker, basically that means to click and treat several times to condition the dog that a click means a treat will follow, you do this without asking for a behaviour first, once they realise that a click means a treat will follow, you wait until the dog displays a behaviour you want, e.g a sit, and click and treat. It is amazing how quickly the dogs grasp it all!
I had some instruction and a really good book to start me off, and I don't think I use it to it's fullest potential.

Good Luck

Claire