Author Topic: what colour to expect  (Read 1415 times)

Offline kcj

• Site Member
  • The Gang
what colour to expect
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:39:56 PM »
Hi
Can anyone help me guess or predict the colours of my planned litter. I have had litters over the years and usually have an idea what to expect. I have a bitch(Jura) who is Lemon and white ticked. Lemon is dark in colour.  
I have been reading about genetics and i know the general rules on the cocker colours but have never had a litter from a lemon & white ticked bitch, big ?? on what she carries  :huh:.    now am i right in saying that she will not be carrying the roan gen????

Jura's father has sired 7 litters and has thrown, black, blue roan, liver roan, lemon roans, black & white ticked, black &white, lemon & white, lemon & white ticked.    

Her background colours
                                        Sire: Black
                        Sire: Black
                                        Dam: Liver
Sire: Liver roan
                                         Sire:Black
                        Dam: Liver
                                         Dam:Liver & white

?
                                  Sire: Black and white
                                                                    ?

Dam: Black with white chest
                                                                                              ?
                                                      Sire: Black with white chest
                                                                                              ?
                                  Dam:Gold

Sire: Lemon roan
                                                      Dam:Lemon roan
                                                                                Dam: Lemon roan

we plan on mating her to a Liver dog
                                                                          Sire: Liver & white
                                                               Hunter
                                                                          Dam Black  

If anyone has experience in these colours any advice would be greatly appreciated  

Kirsten

Offline kcj

• Site Member
  • The Gang
Re: what colour to expect
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:20 AM »
Here is Jura

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
Almost impossible to say without knowing what the dog you plan to breed to carries or produces  :dunno:
If he doesn't carry for lemon or orange (or any of those variations) she won't produce it, even though it is her colour. You don't mention if he is solid liver or roan
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline kcj

• Site Member
  • The Gang
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:29:55 AM »
Here is Hunter he has a little white on chest

I am thinking the most likely colour they might both be carrying would be liver and white??

Ticked colours are recessive to roan but is it recessive to solids, would there be any solids in the litter. Could Jura be carrying black? if so and Hunter carries black i could get all black pups am i right or do have it mixed up.

:huh:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »
None of your pics are showing :-\

Solid is dominant over all particolours whether roan or ticked or and white. Roan is dominant over ticked/and white. If the sire carries the gene for roaning, it will not matter that Jura is not roan, she could still produce some roan puppies.

Particolours cannot carry for solid colours but solid colours can carry the particolour gene. So if you mate two particolours together, there will be no solid puppies but if you mate a solid with a particolour and that solid carries for particolour, then you will get some solids and some particolour puppies.

Jura carries the liver gene because one of her parents is that colour and so if you mate her to a liver dog (solid?), then you should get some liver pups, either solid or partis. Like Spanielcrazy says, you won't get any lemons unless the dog carries the gene - it's a recessive colour and both parents have to carry it to produce it.

Really there are so many possibilities with matings involving solids as well as particolours plus various recessive colours and patterns thrown into the mix :blink:

Jane

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
If Jura has a pink nose then she won't have any black, you could have liver, liver roan or liver and white  :blink:.
Cayley.