Author Topic: Why do breeders Endorse?  (Read 13165 times)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Re: Why do breeders Endorse?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
We endorse our puppies because sadly you can't trust people. You only have to see the BRS to realise how bad the situation is  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
What I didn't, and still don't, understand is the breeders who state that they will not lift the endorsement UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

I've seen adverts for puppies with this stated, which is why I asked the question in the first place.   I find it really strange and just wondered if there was a particular reason for this.  From the answers it appears there isn't.

I thought we already said that you'd have to ask the breeders concerned what their reasons are?? I've already said why I wouldn't lift endorsements for puppies sold as pets but you said this wasn't what you meant so I'm at a loss really to understand what adverts you're referring to? Are you referring to puppies specifically being advertised for showing where endorsements wont be lifted? Can't say I've seen those kind of ads but then I generally avoid the free ad sites as I find them too depressing and not the best places to source a good breeder ph34r Also most good show breeders don't need to use those sites and are sensible enough not to advertise pups for show/breeding when this cannot be guaranteed.

I never mentioned Free Add sites.  I mentioned KC site.

The reason I asked on here was because I thought that someone knowledgeable would be able to explain something that didn't make a great deal of sense to me.  NOT because I'll definitely show,or breed, but because I saw puppies advertised at £700, that the breeder was saying could only go to
 'pet homes - will not lift any endorsements so don't ask'I'm hardly likely to enquire after that statement as to 'why'

It could possibly be, that they've had so many enquiries from people who want a pup without endorsements ( & to a decent breeder this will set alarm bells ringing!!) that they're fed up of saying it  :dunno:  ....if you intend to breed from a bitch pup you don't enquire - simple as that.
& if you don't intend to breed, you're OK...... I'm not sure what the problem is  :dunno:

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Christal

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »

[/quote]

It could possibly be, that they've had so many enquiries from people who want a pup without endorsements ( & to a decent breeder this will set alarm bells ringing!!) that they're fed up of saying it  :dunno:  ....if you intend to breed from a bitch pup you don't enquire - simple as that.
& if you don't intend to breed, you're OK...... I'm not sure what the problem is  :dunno:

[/quote]

Not a problem - simple curiosity  :shades:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 09:07:40 PM »
I'm sorry but you've confused me Crystal - when I explained much earlier on in this thread why I would not remove endorsements for pet puppies, you said that's not what you meant but it seems from your post above it was ads for pet puppies you meant :huh: I'm not sure why you still don't understand the motivation for such breeders - several of us on here have already explained our reasons and don't think we can really make it any clearer :dunno:
Jane

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
Just discovered that my rescue girl was not only KC registered and endorsed, but the original owner signed an agreement to have her spayed...yet they tried to breed her at 7 months! She was apparently having none of it and so they got rid of her as 'aggressive'

I hasten to add she is booked in for the end of October as she is just out of season now! Some people should be shot!

Offline Christal

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
I'm sorry but you've confused me Crystal - when I explained much earlier on in this thread why I would not remove endorsements for pet puppies, you said that's not what you meant but it seems from your post above it was ads for pet puppies you meant :huh: I'm not sure why you still don't understand the motivation for such breeders - several of us on here have already explained our reasons and don't think we can really make it any clearer :dunno:

I think I've confused myself   :D  And it was simple curiosity that made me ask the question.

Seeing the add on the KC site, and with it extolling the virtues of the Pedigreess of both dam and sire (and lets face it £700 is not cheap) it just struck me as odd that basically after all that it seemed to be saying 'but don't try to show'.  That's assuming that if people do show and do well they may want to breed from a champion dog.  Why go on about a fabulous Pedigree if it can't be perpetuated  :huh:

I freely admit I know next to nothing about showing or breeding, I'm looking for a puppy and thought it would be nice to try some local shows that the pup and I could enjoy together.  It's about 16 years since I bought my last dogs (GSD, and their backs did not look like a toddlers slide >:D ) and the tone and nature of adverts seems to have changed a lot.

I'ts great reading everyones opinions, and I think quite a few people, including me, have learned a lot.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »

I think I've confused myself   :D  And it was simple curiosity that made me ask the question.

Seeing the add on the KC site, and with it extolling the virtues of the Pedigreess of both dam and sire (and lets face it £700 is not cheap) it just struck me as odd that basically after all that it seemed to be saying 'but don't try to show'.  That's assuming that if people do show and do well they may want to breed from a champion dog.  Why go on about a fabulous Pedigree if it can't be perpetuated  :huh:

Being endorsed does not mean you cannot show.

I freely admit I know next to nothing about showing or breeding, I'm looking for a puppy and thought it would be nice to try some local shows that the pup and I could enjoy together.  It's about 16 years since I bought my last dogs (GSD, and their backs did not look like a toddlers slide >:D ) and the tone and nature of adverts seems to have changed a lot.

I'ts great reading everyones opinions, and I think quite a few people, including me, have learned a lot.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Christal

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 10:45:39 AM »

[/quote]

Being endorsed does not mean you cannot show.

[/quote]

I didn't say it did  :o

That's assuming that if people do show and do well they may want to breed from a champion dog.
  Why go on about a fabulous Pedigree if it can't be perpetuated 

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »
Seeing the add on the KC site, and with it extolling the virtues of the Pedigreess of both dam and sire (and lets face it £700 is not cheap) it just struck me as odd that basically after all that it seemed to be saying 'but don't try to show'.

Quote from your last post......

Offline Christal

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
Seeing the add on the KC site, and with it extolling the virtues of the Pedigreess of both dam and sire (and lets face it £700 is not cheap) it just struck me as odd that basically after all that it seemed to be saying 'but don't try to show'.

Quote from your last post......

It seems to me that you are taking it out of context to what I said. I went to to say:

That's assuming that if people do show and do well they may want to breed from a champion dog.  Why go on about a fabulous Pedigree if it can't be perpetuated 

Doesn't that make it obvious that I know they can be shown, even when endorsed  :huh:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:56 PM »
Sorry very confusing, I will keep my posts to myself

Offline PurpleHazed

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
Penfold, you hit the nail right on the head for me.

People keep pushing for new dog owners (me soon hopefully!) to go to 'proper' breeders. I see guidelines of what is considered a proper breeder, I have found websites with a listing of 'registered' breeders, and nine times out of ten they are the least informative *online* about their dogs. As if that's not bad enough, the ones who /do/ have a website (beautiful pictures, videos, scanned pedigree papers, etc.) the majority of them have stopped breeding or are on pause for a year or more! And I can count all of these websites on one hand.

I remember getting frustrated and just skimming through free ad websites (who at least show their puppies and, though possibly falsely, advertise that they are KC registered and health tested) just to see where the hell I could get a pup if I were to remain in the U.K. for another year. No worries as I wouldn't buy them but if I had a lot less willpower and common sense...

I consider myself a responsible pet owner with a lot of ambition for my future dog. I want the right puppy but damn, Ethical Breeders (tm), you make it so hard to find you and trust you!

With this ability to 'endorse' puppies and giving breeders a bit more control over their dogs, I see no reason then why they can't make themselves more visible to the 'pet market'. Breeders complain there are too many dogs in pounds, but there are too many dogs there because we can't get a decently bred puppy without waiting 5 years and visiting half of England's country side!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:40 PM »
I think this thread should be put to bed now - we've discussed endorsements and the reasons for them at length now and it's all getting a bit confusing :D

With this ability to 'endorse' puppies and giving breeders a bit more control over their dogs, I see no reason then why they can't make themselves more visible to the 'pet market'. Breeders complain there are too many dogs in pounds, but there are too many dogs there because we can't get a decently bred puppy without waiting 5 years and visiting half of England's country side!

Blaming the rescue situation on the fact it's too difficult to find a good breeder is so far from the truth that I'm not sure where to start so probably best to leave it for another thread :005: Suffice to say we have plenty of new puppy owning members who have not had to wait 5 years for a puppy or had to visit half of England's countryside :huh: However feel free to start another thread if you want to have a sensible discussion on how to find a good breeder :D

Jane