Author Topic: Teaching "quiet"!!  (Read 1106 times)

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Teaching "quiet"!!
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:30:39 PM »
This is really a continuation of my question about barking, interesting that Pepper is very much an adolescent now and reading the adolescence thread I can see now that the barking is probably part of that. Actually I am sure his bark sounds deeper and gruffer now..like his voice has broken!  :005: Not sure if that happens with dogs!Karma mentioned teaching "quiet" How do you do that?

Offline c19unn

• Donator
Re: Teaching "quiet"!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
I havent taught quiet as he just barked more when i spoke to him - I just say his name so he looks at me and give the shhhh sign (you know like the finget to mouth thing) and he responds to that
The other half tried telling him to quiet and he just barked even more - plus i am now trying to teach him signs as well as words just case as i have heard about dogs going deaf and wanted to make sure that he knows hand signals in case the worst happens (i know i know but you can never be too careful)
As he was quite intrigued as to what the shhh sign meant to begin with he'd stop barking and i would reward him and so he has learned that - however there are some instances where he wont listen at all usually when he is trying to bark at the neighbour to get them to say hello then i say 'chicken' and he comes running in and sits at the fridge  :luv:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
Not very scientific and I doubt much help but I have always just shouted 'quiet' in a loud deep voice or if they are next to me I look at them and tell them shh with my finger on my lip ph34r, it always works ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
http://www.clickertrainingresource.com/clicker-training-quiet.html

I must admit I've not successfully done this...  ph34r

The difficulty with telling them "quiet" when they don't know a command is that they can think you are joining in the "barking" and so it can encourage barking as your OH found, Charlene....  ;)

The doing "something" that interrupts and then saying "quiet" and rewarding is helpful if you have a dog who never pauses in the barking - and you can then build it up (don't go from a basic barking situation to the thing they react to most in the world without building through some intermediate stages!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
I've used the 'look at me' command.
initially holding a treat to my nose.
Bix will now go quiet without the treat but still needs the finger on nose (I'm not sure my family are grateful that I used this hand signal but hey, it works)

Offline Nicky

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:11:02 PM »
We have tried different methods but the one thats worked the best so far is Shhhhhh and then praising when they are quiet.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
I'm not going to be very good at describing this but will give it a go. Brodie's main problem is barking on walks, so what I do is block her view at whatever she's barking at, use a treat (has to be very tasty to break her attention from whatever she's barking at) to gain her attention fully and get her sitting, then ask for quiet. When she stops barking she gets the treat ;). I might need to repeat it again and again at times, but I'm finding it easier to hold her attention now.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »
i try and catch the split second Taz barks to say "quiet" then immediately say good boy when he is, with a bit of fuss (dont always have a treat to hand) he is getting back when i am getting changed to take him for a walk or getting his tea, but until i have that cracked i am not going to try it for other barking at the moment because i know it wont work.

Offline black taz

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
sorry, i meant to say the split second he stops barking to say "quiet"

OH on the other hand, likes to join in with him with "shut up, shut up" >:D

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
Thanks very much. I am sure I have been joining in the barking! I will try "shh" and treat, thanks. :D

Offline Megan Ffion

• Megan Ffion
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
Since reading this thread in the last few days, we have undertaken the finger to the mouth with 'shhhh'.

Whilst Megan is quick to pick things up this method seems to be working for us and Megan.  Thanks again for the advise.

We are always willing to learn.

Thank you again,
Remembering Our Sweet Megan

Offline kizkiznobite

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:58:50 PM »
put the bark on cue

then you can add the 'off' cue

bark on cue...shut up on cue....

some behaviours have an on/off switch...this is one of them  :D

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
E have been trying the "shh" today and so far it semms to be working. pepper is looking at me rather mistified wondering what I am doing!Any way it seems to distract him!

Offline kizkiznobite

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 06:55:10 PM »
you must reward him within 3 seconds of him doing the desired behaviour...this can be a treat to start with and then your appraisal...then start to sustain the behaviour with 'good shush nice shush good shush' at the times he is quiet...if you dont you will burn out your new cue and he will just move it on...